Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Any masons on here? Question about tuck pointing....

Options
odie91
odie91 Posts: 541
What's the best way to repair this?   It's like a front veneer of the bricks have come off.  The building was built around 1955.

Should I:

- Take the bricks out, and replace them?   Some of the bricks are below the level of the pavement (not sure how that happened, maybe the pavement was built up later on) -- so it would  be hard to get to replace the lower bricks.   

- Hollow the damaged areas out (taking out the brick and mortar) and replace it wholly with just mortar?   The cosmetics might look off, but I'm okay with that.    Type S or Type N for this job?

- Other

Thanks in advance

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I am. Just not a brick mason. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Thought you might want the secret handshake and the location of the Holy Grail.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    It looks like someone has tried patching this before. There should have been some type of expansion joint material between the asphalt and the brick. Not sure where you’re located but it appears water has got into the brick and then frozen causing it to fracture. Also you could be having movement between the asphalt and brick due to heat. It doesn’t look like you would have much brick left to work with if you tried removing them. 
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    thought you were pointing to the east
    O-Town, FL

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It is never advisable to lay brick below grade IMO. Particularly in areas of the country that experience freezing. That's toast. Removal required. I don't really think the flexible asphalt is a major factor, especially if the opposing side of the drive is bordered by soil.

Masonry construction leaks and wicks water. It should be designed to allow the water to migrate to a VB and then downward to a flashing and weep hole system. It appears as though the water has no where to go and then froze and spalled the brick as mentioned above. You are going to need to seek on site advice I'm afraid. If this is against wood framing you may have rot issues on the back side. If it is veneered over concrete, you can repair it but it's a pain. Make sure there is flashing above grade and weep holes for the moisture?water to escape the wall cavity.

Good Luck!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2019
    Options
    This is where my mind went from the Post heading. Sorry no help on the brick side.

https://youtu.be/tkd0b1Vm7_A
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    My first thought----My apologies, no help on the bricks either

https://youtu.be/4j8m8L8B7pM
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Salting the asphalt in icy conditions can cause that damage as well. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Definitely thought this was going to be a Freemason thread.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Salting the asphalt in icy conditions can cause that damage as well. 
     Agreed.

The salt is just a symptom though. It simply aides in creating the freeze thaw issue within the face brick. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This is where my mind went from the Post heading. Sorry no help on the brick side.

https://youtu.be/tkd0b1Vm7_A
    Did any of y’all notice what the lady in the crowd was wearing? Overall shorts. You can see her at about 12 seconds in. I have a keen eye for such. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Image result for brick below grade

Options
    Options
    Could have been caused by a sloppy weed whacker operator as well....
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    SGH said:
    I am. Just not a brick mason. 
    . . .
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options

My house circa 1930 has: Brick veneer
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    The brick courses at / below ground level would be engineering brick in this country. There is no point trying to save those bricks, except as a very temporary measure. Nola's schematic is good. To do the job properly, you need to cut back the asphalt and replace the damaged bricks, then reinstate the path properly.