Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are we still in love with the MiniMax?

greetinga friends,

im thinking of picking up a MM while I am
blowing my refund....

8-D
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• I sold a small to buy a mini max, and honestly have regretted the move.  I have since added a kamado joe jr (exact replica of a small egg) to the mix to reverse my misfortune.  The mini max is just a less capable small egg.  If you get a 10 inch fire grate like the mini max has in a small egg, it behaves exactly like a mini max.  But go back to the smaller grate, and you have your small egg again that holds more lump, and also has your food higher away from the heat.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Translation:  the minimax is the new girlfriend that doesn't seem anything more than quirky and weird, but with time gets more and more annoying until we realize -- why were we so blind entering in to this relationship?

Disclaimer - I don't have one, opinion based on comments read on this forum by others.
    I like mine, used it last night and the night before. The UK Egg distributor doesn't (or at least didn't) stock the small, so that choice wasn't available. Space the temp probe out a bit and you can get quite a lot in it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I don't share in the misery others that are displaying of MM ownership.  I use mine as much if not more than my L. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • I also love my MiniMax. It’s true that the close proximity between lump and firegrate causes it to behave a little more unpredictably. I have burned Dutch oven bread recipes where they otherwise turn out on the Large using the same MO. Just don’t expect the MM to be truly portable. While it can be carried for short distances by healthy individuals, one cannot simply decide to bring it on their next portage expedition. For me, moving it around within my front and backyard suits my pursposes and for that, it is more practical than the Small. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I love mine. I would certainly replace it with another if something happened to it.
    It is a stout little workhouse that has never failed to provide exceptional results.
    Knowing its limitations, you can still cook a lot of food on it. It is an ideal companion to my XL.
    We travel, camp, tailgate, and use it for BGE functions and get-togethers.
    It is worthy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Love it and do not get any of the negatives as I cannot figure out how their experience could possibly be a bad one. Huh, go figure. Did I say I love it!
  • What else would you blow your refund on, Damien?   Hookers and blow?
    Bills paid responsibly... :/
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• What else would you blow your refund on, Damien?   Hookers and blow?
    Bills paid responsibly... :/

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Its a searing machine here at my house. Don't take it many places....but when I do, my good friend @Dyal_SC unloads it for me. =);)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I have 8 of them I'm looking to move before the KJ's Gen III's get here......give me a shout.
  • I think my disappointment with the mini max was compaing it to the small. I had issues with the small, and I discovered how to work around them after the wheels were already in motion. When you consider the mini max to be a bigger mini, it’s a great grill. And that is actually what I use mine for. I still enjoy using it that way. I think the mini max is a huge sales hit,  but I believe it is at the expense of both the small and the mini. I was lucky to find a small replace,ent in the Kamado Joe jr for only $150 new in the box, so in the end I’m very happy to have both now. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    YukonRon said:
    I love mine. I would certainly replace it with another if something happened to it.
    It is a stout little workhouse that has never failed to provide exceptional results.
    Knowing its limitations, you can still cook a lot of food on it. It is an ideal companion to my XL.
    We travel, camp, tailgate, and use it for BGE functions and get-togethers.
    It is worthy.
    I am with Ron, I would buy it again. Love it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • I have one and love it. The ease of getting it to temp quick is perfect for weeknight cooks. 

I've also cooked an 8lb. turbo pork butt on it and it was terrific. 
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Translation Numero dos:  The minimax is a great hibachi.  Except it costs more and don't drop it.  Owch!
    For my family of 2, our MM gets much more use than the L.  The MM is a lump miser and gets up to temp more quickly.  As noted above, there are some cooking differences due to the proximity of the lump to the cooking grate, but like many other aspects of the BGE you learn the quirks and use that experience to your advantage.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • I like how fast it gets to temp. I have 2 L as well, and the MM is my go to always for meals after work because of this. Its large enough for any steaks or chicken or whatever for weeknight meals in our family. In the summers, I will take it camping with us. Its heavy, but once we are all set up, its worth packing it for sure.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • I have the woo ring which solved for the gap between the coal and food. I use it all the time and love it. I also take it places so the carrier is great even though you can make one for the small. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Use the Mini and MM way more than the three Larges sitting out there. Just cooked lunch today on it. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Put me in the love it camp.  With a Wok from CGS easy stir fry.  I've got a rack of ribs going now, along with homemade pineapple coleslaw chilling.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Love the MM and would buy it again.  Used more for hot-fast but does it all.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • @Jeremiah made a setup for the small that in hindsight I would do vs the MM. same weight, same portability now and better air flow. I think his rig is brilliant 

• Ive never cooked on anything and thought “I wish this was smaller” 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Ive never cooked on anything and thought “I wish this was smaller” 
    I assume you have the XXL and nothing else will do in ceramic cookers? I get what you’re saying and as a general rule I would agree. There are carve outs however. 

• I just love it and the mini so long as I have a large or xl 
  • The MM was the first egg I bought. I was living in an apartment and had it on the balcony. While it was still not legal, it was more inconspicuous than having an egg on a stand out there. That said, I'm glad I purchased it. I use it frequently on weeknights.
    Washington County, MD

Large & MM, Blackstone Griddles (36" & Tailgater)
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I won a MiniMax at an Eggfest and threw out my back loading it in the truck.  Never really recovered.  I use it, but not very often.  B@stard

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE