Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon question

Options
Smoked 2 bellies on Tuesday. Went to slice thursday eve and the sample i cut was too smoky for my taste.  If i slice and vacuum seal, will the smoke mellow in the freezer?

Comments

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    No. Thats the short answer. Can you expand on the cure and smoking process?
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • mtasker
    Options
    10 day cure.  Cold smoke 6 hours.  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Was it the first cut you tried? Way more surface area exposed on the first cut  
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Not sure why but i don't cure. I just smoke heavy at -300with sugar maple and if frys up great. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    mtasker said:
    Smoked 2 bellies on Tuesday. Went to slice thursday eve and the sample i cut was too smoky for my taste.  If i slice and vacuum seal, will the smoke mellow in the freezer?
    If you want to remove some of the heavy smoke flavor, simply soak them in ice water for a few hours. 
    Note on the above. This will only work if you cold smoked them and they are still uncooked. If you hot smoked them, it’s a done deal my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    mtasker said:
    10 day cure.  Cold smoke 6 hours.  
    Benton's bacon, famous across the country, loved by top chefs, is cold-smoked for THREE DAYS.  Is it possible that it's not actually "too smoky," but that somehow the smoke wasn't good-tasting smoke? 

I'm NO expert, have never tried cold smoking, so maybe I'm way off-base, and I apologize if so.  But if Benton's bacon is smoked for 3 days in active smoke, I just don't think 6 hours over-smoked it.  I know that people who smoke bacon for a living don't use a low, oxygen-starved fire, maybe like some pellets smoldering slowly, but a fire that's burning healthily, but is at enough of a distance from the meat that the smoke gets cool enough that it doesn't cook it.  Was your smoke coming from a very small, smoldering fire, by any chance?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Depends on your smoke wood and your personal taste.  Like Scottie says you can rinse to diminish the smoke, this will help some.  Like Coltsfan says the end pieces are obviously smokier.  
    With your information, I bet the bacon is good and not too smoky throughout.  Slice and eat.  Then modify your next run.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Bacon is never a question.  Bacon is always the answer.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I personally don’t have any comfort level with cold smoking meat. I will cold smoke cheese though. I use these recipes for bacon https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/how-make-smoked-bacon-home

You cure for a few days and hot smoke. I love the end result.  Everyone that has tried it really likes it. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I've found it mellows like cheese, but I've never found it to Smokey ...was it dry and tacky before smoking ? Also if you went from from fridge to smoker it may have been dry when you started , but moisture will soon condense on the surface giving a bit of an unpleasant taste.....just a thought 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian