Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon

Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,354
I’m a beer drinker but starting to appreciate having some bourbon on hand. Looking at what others recommend on various threads I’ve realized a lot of better recommended ones are not available year round. So are they released on schedules or do you just check the store routinely for new arrivals? And what’s available now to look for? 
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    McKennnan10year
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dobie
    edited February 2019
    Woodford, basil hayden, makers, knob creek, Elijah Craig, four roses are all very good and very commonly available at stores. Good place to start imo. Those are quality pours. There are many many more to check out. 
    I’ve been drinking WR and it’s always around but using Total Wine for instance Four Roses single barrel isn’t available  :| I have been enjoying that one.  Didn’t care for Makers Mark but I’m a newb. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Dobie said:
    Woodford, basil hayden, makers, knob creek, Elijah Craig, four roses are all very good and very commonly available at stores. Good place to start imo. Those are quality pours. There are many many more to check out. 
    I’ve been drinking WR and it’s always around but using Total Wine for instance Four Roses single barrel isn’t available  :| I have been enjoying that one.  Didn’t care for Makers Mark but I’m a newb. 
    Not in the total wine area, but four roses is fairly common and available. There are a bunch of excellent pours by more limited labels. McKenna as mentioned above is a great pour. I recommend keeping a daily pour around you enjoy and just start expanding your sphere by mixing different bottles. Don’t repurchase the ones you don’t love. Keep in mind that manhattans and old fashioned are lovely when made with bourbon. Good way to use up some of your “mistakes “
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Dobie said:
    Try to find Maker's 46. Sam's clubs here carry it
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    ColtsFan said:
    I'll add Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace to @thetrim and @pgprescott suggestions.

Basil Haydens was my cherry popper and then tried Eagle Rare. Buffalo Trace is my "every day pour" 

Good luck and enjoy the journey. Neat, 1 rock, splash of water .... As you dive deeper you'll start to develop a nose 
    I didn’t include eagle rare only because it is in fact rare in my area. As is Blantons. I will say BT is a great pour at a great price. 
  • pgprescott
    SaltySam said:
    Don’t sleep on Evan Williams! Dirt cheap and tastes good.  It’s literally a third the price of some of the others.   
    I also like Jim beam as a base for manhattans. Some of the inexpensive pours do not get their due. 
  • Dobie
    ColtsFan said:

Basil Haydens was my cherry popper and then tried Eagle Rare. Buffalo Trace is my "every day pour" 

Good luck and enjoy the journey. Neat, 1 rock, splash of water .... As you dive deeper you'll start to develop a nose 
    Again using Total Wine our local superstore none of these available right now, was looking at all those. Maybe I need to find another liquor store. TW is huge though and priced well. 
    I drink on the rocks, don’t mix. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan said:

I didn’t include eagle rare only because it is in fact rare in my area. As is Blantons. I will say BT is a great pour at a great price. 
    Eagle Rare is all over Bloomington. It's amazing what a difference a couple hundred miles makes. Occasionally find Blanton's 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    ColtsFan said:

I like Eagle Rare too.  It just went to $83.00 a bottle here.  Same in your area?? 

@Dobie - all good suggestions above.  Knob Creek is my daily drinker.  I’ll hit something like Woodford or Breckinridge 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pgprescott
    I consider McKenna a rarer bottle along with Elmer t, willetts, JH Taylor, etc.  I’d build a core of readily available bottles for your area and then add these rare bottles to the mix. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Don’t be afraid to revisit some of your earlier discarded pours as your pallet develops. Cheers!!! 
  • pgprescott
    ColtsFan said:

I like Eagle Rare too.  It just went to $83.00 a bottle here.  Same in your area?? 

@Dobie - all good suggestions above.  Knob Creek is my daily drinker.  I’ll hit something like Woodford or Breckinridge 
    WOW! That’s robbery for the ER. It’s a great pour,but that’s clear profiteering. Imo. 
  • Dobie
     Here’s a few I want to try
    Angels Envy
    Blantons
    Weller 12
    Buffalo Trace

Might add Makers 46 if it’s different from regular Makers? 

Four Roses small batch is available easily that’s probably next since I like the others. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Mattman3969
    edited February 2019
    Totally agree.  The price has doubled since I discovered it 2yrs on a bourbon tour.  

Thats top top shelf pricing 

analyze adapt overcome

• pgprescott
    Dobie said:
    Angels Envy
    Blantons
    Weller 12
    Buffalo Trace

Four Roses small batch is available easily that’s probably next since I like the others. 
    Great list! If you find Weller 12 let me know. I’ll take a couple. You are on a great path. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan said:

Whoa .. Hovers in the $50 range here. 

• pgprescott
    TBH I am a scotch man at heart. I drink and enjoy a wide range of brown water, but my first and true love is scotch. 
  • Mattman3969
    Dobie said:
    Angels Envy
    Blantons
    Weller 12
    Buffalo Trace

Blantons is hit or miss on availability here.  Angels Envy is incredible 
    Buffalo Trace I don’t care for.  
    Never had Weller
    1792 is good sipper.  

The Breckenridge I mentioned early is distilled in Colorado and because of Ky laws can’t be sold here. I have to buy in Indiana.   It’s a must try if available in your area.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    Have any Texans tried Yellow Rose Outlaw?

I’m still developing my whiskey palate but I had some last night and it seemed at least as good as most of what is mentioned above. (Of those, I’m partial to Eagle Rare).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescott
    @Grillinois found me a bottle of weller 12 for my nephew. The man has some great hole in the wall spots that still don’t know what they have with the rarer bottles. He brought McKenna to the last eggfest. Jerry’s the man!
  • Dobie
    Dobie said:
    Angels Envy
    Blantons
    Weller 12
    Buffalo Trace

Blantons is hit or miss on availability here.  Angels Envy is incredible 
    Buffalo Trace I don’t care for.  
    Never had Weller
    1792 is good sipper.  

The Breckenridge I mentioned early is distilled in Colorado and because of Ky laws can’t be sold here. I have to buy in Indiana.   It’s a must try if available in your area.  
    This is available, priced OK?

Jacksonville FL
  • Mattman3969
    Yes sir 

analyze adapt overcome

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
     Keep in mind that manhattans and old fashioned are lovely when made with bourbon. Good way to use up some of your “mistakes “
    My story about Manhattans. Years ago Manhattans were what my wife and I always ordered when we ate out. So on our first vacation up in Rhinelander, WI that's what we ordered. The drinks arrived and they tasted VERY weird! I called the waitress back and I told her something was not right with our drinks! She took them back and when she returned with two new drinks -which tasted fine- she nonchalantly asked if we were vacationing from IL perhaps? I said yes and she replied that's what the barkeeper figured. He had told her that Manhattans in WI are commonly made with flavored rum - not bourbon.

BTW on that vacation, but not at that roadhouse that night we encountered being referred to as "FIB"s. That term was later explained to us by another "F***king Illinois B*stard".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    RRP said:
     Keep in mind that manhattans and old fashioned are lovely when made with bourbon. Good way to use up some of your “mistakes “
    My story about Manhattans. Years ago Manhattans were what my wife and I always ordered when we ate out. So on our first vacation up in Rhinelander, WI that's what we ordered. The drinks arrived and they tasted VERY weird! I called the waitress back and I told her something was not right with our drinks! She took them back and when she returned with two new drinks -which tasted fine- she nonchalantly asked if we were vacationing from IL perhaps? I said yes and she replied that's what the barkeeper figured. He had told her that Manhattans in WI are commonly made with flavored rum - not bourbon.

BTW on that vacation, but not at that roadhouse that night we encountered being referred to as "FIB"s. That term was later explained to us by another "F***king Illinois B*stard".
    Rum!!!!! No thanks. Rye or bourbon. Guy called himself a bartender? That’s like ordering a hotdog plain with ketchup from a street cart in Chicago. Faux pas!!!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Woodford and Knob Creek are go tos.  Never pass up a bottle of Wellers, especially the 12.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Another vote for Angels Envy.  Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses are all really good too.  

Bourbon in general is my favorite spirit, so I like a lot of it.  The only one that I don’t particularly care for is Michters. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2019
    🌹🌹🌹🌹Single Barrel or Small Batch
    Bourbon is my spirit animal 😁

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Foghorn said:
    Have any Texans tried Yellow Rose Outlaw?

I’m still developing my whiskey palate but I had some last night and it seemed at least as good as most of what is mentioned above. (Of those, I’m partial to Eagle Rare).
    Outlaw is Yellow Roses 100% corn whiskey.  It is the only one distilled at their place in Houston.  They make a maple finished rye I enjoy also.  My favorite these days is Garrison Brothers from Hye TX.  Their double oaked Balmorhea is really nice and any of the barrel proofs are great.  Total Wine near me sells single barrel Garrisons at barrel proof.  Tours of the distillery are worth the trip too. Easy day trip from S.A.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max