Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: OT: LYME DISEASE

Very OT for here but this forum casts a very wide net. Looking for anyone who has had (or someone close) has had Lyme Disease. Need info as not common in the middle of Texas. Have a few questions.
PLEASE DO NOT USE THE FORUM TO CONTACT ME BUT USE MY EMAIL; mjrawls@me.com
Thanks, Mickey
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• This is a cooking forum
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited February 2019
    This is a cooking forum
    With no disrespect intended to Mickey who is obviously doing some serious research.......you can't cook Lyme's?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    have known two people with it but not close.  a few weeks antibiotics, and slow recovery from fatigue and joint pain....more than a year recovering from it.  my current dog got it even after taking lyme shots, no problems after taking antibiotics.  next month i start seeing the ticks on the dog, an hour outside and he will pick up a dozen or two.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    have known two people with it but not close.  a few weeks antibiotics, and slow recovery from fatigue and joint pain....more than a year recovering from it.  my current dog got it even after taking lyme shots, no problems after taking antibiotics.  next month i start seeing the ticks on the dog, an hour outside and he will pick up a dozen or two.
    Thank you. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @fishlessman, ask your vet about Simparica, a chewable tablet that kills fleas and 5 types of ticks. One tablet a month, year round. My Brit has never had ticks or fleas. Oh, and he loves the taste too - wolfs it down and asks for more! 

Sorry, Mickey. I live about 40 miles from Lyme CT, where it started, but I've never had the disease. Don't know anyone who has either. Thankfully!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Well guinea hens, free roaming of course, are one of the best ways to keep the tick population down. To keep this egg orientated, the guinea hens can be invited to dinner.
    Very true.
    Chickens eat them as well. After cutting the lawn, I would routinely find one or two climbing on me. Once I got my small flock, the ticks were gone in 2 - 3 weeks. This is one of the primary reasons I still have them. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    I had a friend who got it.  Took a year or.more to ultimately diagnose.  Presented as a fatigue like disease with autoimmune stuff too.

She took a serious course of antibiotics for months to finally resolve it.  She has had some long term joint issues and other health things that may be related to it, but she had it undiagnosed for a long time.

Her son had it to, but he responded much faster and no long term issues.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited February 2019
    I only knew one person that had it. A good friend of mine named Joe Meeko. He was Mr. Universe 1988. It ultimately drove him to end his own life. 
    I have no idea if treatment has got better since the 90’s for the disease. But he basically had unlimited money and they couldn’t help him. Wishing you the best with this one my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    edited February 2019
    SGH said:
    I only knew one person that had it. A good friend of mine named Joe Meeko. He was Mr. Universe 1988. It ultimately drove him to end his own life. 
    I have no idea if treatment has got better since the 90’s for the disease. But he basically had unlimited money and they couldn’t help him. Wishing you the best with this one my friend. 
    one of the ones i knew it was complete agony for a year, shut his shop down and moved on. after the year things got better quickly. he was undiagnosed for along time though.  thinking they diagnose it quicker up here now. its really bad here
    fukahwee maine

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    SGH said:
    one of the ones i knew it was complete agony for a year, shut his shop down and moved on. after the year things got better quickly. he was undiagnosed for along time though.  thinking they diagnose it quicker up here now. its really bad here
    Joe suffered for several years. The pain got worse and worse. Toward the end the disease started affecting his mind. He basically (for lack of a better word) went insane. Sad to see such a formidable man reduced to nothing. 
    Joe in his prime:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    My former boss's neighbor up in Idaho contracted it and it hit his brain, he committed suicide also.
    Not something to mess around with.  :(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Both my brothers got bit by ticks and now have red meat allergies. Within the last two or three years. 

I always spray myself head to toe with deet and heavy concentration of permethrin if I'm gonna be out in the yard/woods/fields. Had no ticks on me last year. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Reading all this makes winter seem not too bad now
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    My Dad had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. That’s as close as I can come to helping. I do know that Lyme is common around here but is often misdiagnosed. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    It is a blood borne pathogen, so transferable to others with exchange of body fluids....Neighbor had it for a long time. Everyday IV antibiotics for months. He eventually overcame the illness but gave it to his wife. Both are OK now.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    bubbajack said:
    It is a blood borne pathogen, so transferable to others with exchange of body fluids....Neighbor had it for a long time. Everyday IV antibiotics for months. He eventually overcame the illness but gave it to his wife. Both are OK now.
    There is no scientific evidence lyme disease can be spread from human to human through sex, breast feeding, sweat, feces, urine, airborne or any other means other than blood transfusion.

Chances are the wife was also bit by a tic.

This is all documented on the CDC site, and because of the nature of he bacterium, all of which are categorized scientifically, and well studied.

poster said:
    my dog can find those nasty deer ticks all winter long, even in deep snow. lots of deer bedding areas around here
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    poster said:
    my dog can find those nasty deer ticks all winter long, even in deep snow. lots of deer bedding areas around here
    Great, I had never seen a tick in my life before as they were never this far north up until maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Now, they are everywhere especially around early June. We have mainly wood ticks, but I did find 2 deer ticks last year on my dog. I had them tested and they came back negative. I always pictured them to be a real tiny bug, until I saw one myself. They are not all exactly small and they creep me out when I spot one. Maybe I'll get used to them? probably not. 
  • Both my brothers got bit by ticks and now have red meat allergies. Within the last two or three years. 

I always spray myself head to toe with deet and heavy concentration of permethrin if I'm gonna be out in the yard/woods/fields. Had no ticks on me last year. 
    Alpha gal. Nasty  carbohydrate. I see folks with this every day now, in the restaurant, where we never used to see it at all. Lone star tick. 

Prevention with sprays can be enhanced by wearing panty hose. No joke. A contractor buddy of mine has it and says the condition MAY be overcome over years, provided there is never another bite. He wears panty hose on the job site now. Taking zero chances...

best of lucky @Mickey
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    poster said:
    poster said:
    Great, I had never seen a tick in my life before as they were never this far north up until maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Now, they are everywhere especially around early June. We have mainly wood ticks, but I did find 2 deer ticks last year on my dog. I had them tested and they came back negative. I always pictured them to be a real tiny bug, until I saw one myself. They are not all exactly small and they creep me out when I spot one. Maybe I'll get used to them? probably not. 
    just reading this thread has me itching ;)  
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Nah fish, that’s your lice, not lyme.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    poster said:
    poster said:
    Nah fish, that’s your lice, not lyme.
    you're such a louse =)
    fukahwee maine

• Poor Mickey had what I think was a legit question and it has now morphed into whether Lyme Disease can be transmitted by buttering the biscuit. Friday night thread in the making....

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Poor Mickey had what I think was a legit question and it has now morphed into whether Lyme Disease can be transmitted by buttering the biscuit. Friday night thread in the making....
    No worries. Got several calls and many emails to the point. This is the greatest bunch of like (?????) minded people on any forum. I was here long before this forum with the original forum and things never change.
    The one thing constant is if you need something it will be provided by this forum.