Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My trailer smoker has started being built!

Options

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Looking good!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Looking good!
    Hopefully this will finally be the end of the build and all the saga that has ensued since. I'll have 7k carrying capacity and only 4k lbs of stuff. And I think I've solved the pin issue that caused the wreck. So now it's time to just enjoy this thing!!

I'm towing it on a 2 week road trip starting next thursday night. We are going all the way to Long Island, NY from Biloxi, MS.  Stopping in Lake Hartwell, GA - Gastonia, NC - Richmond, VA - Washington DC - Philadelphia PA - NYC - Patchogue NY - Hershey, VA - Gettysburg, VA - Luray, VA - Natural Bridge Park, VA - Chattanooga, TN - HOME

2650++ Miles round trip. I'll get home just a few days before the Bash!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    When and where are you stopping in the Philly area?
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Looking good!
    Hopefully this will finally be the end of the build and all the saga that has ensued since. I'll have 7k carrying capacity and only 4k lbs of stuff. And I think I've solved the pin issue that caused the wreck. So now it's time to just enjoy this thing!!

I'm towing it on a 2 week road trip starting next thursday night. We are going all the way to Long Island, NY from Biloxi, MS.  Stopping in Lake Hartwell, GA - Gastonia, NC - Richmond, VA - Washington DC - Philadelphia PA - NYC - Patchogue NY - Hershey, VA - Gettysburg, VA - Luray, VA - Natural Bridge Park, VA - Chattanooga, TN - HOME

That sounds great brother!  You deserve a nice vacation.  Happy and safe travels!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    When and where are you stopping in the Philly area?
    The 29th. We are planning to leave D.C. in the morning and head into philly just to see the liberty bell and eat a real philly cheese steak (any suggestions?) then headed over to Long island before the afternoon traffic gets too bad.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Chattanooga is 20 min from home. Holler at me and I'll buy you a beer. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Looking good!

I assume you meant Hershey Pa and Gettysburg Pa?
    If in Hershey Pa, if you have time, stop by Troegs brewery in Hershey. They have some good beers.
    SE PA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

If in Hershey Pa, if you have time, stop by Troegs brewery in Hershey. They have some good beers.
    Yeah, I meant PA.  I'll try to get by there. Is it cool for kids? We will have our 14month old daughter and our 10 year old neices with us.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    I'm not local to the Philly area, but from a coworker that is from there - you should either go to Pat's & Geno's (iconic) or Steve's (dark horse).  Anybody else agree/disagree?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

Yeah, I meant PA.  I'll try to get by there. Is it cool for kids? We will have our 14month old daughter and our 10 year old neices with us.
    I am nearby to Gettysburg and Hershey,  lots of great family friendly things to do..... make sure you visit chocolate world of course ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am from GA but I have spent a lot of time in the Philly area. I travelled there for work and some co-workers and I went on a mission to try various places. Pat's and Genos are indeed iconic places but there are way better places out there. It has been a long time so I don't remember all the places we went, but Dalessandro's was the winner of our little group. However that is a little far from the liberty bell. 

I found this that has some recommendations: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/best-philly-cheesesteaks.html I remember

John's Roast Pork was on my list to try but don't think I ever made it.

The reviewers in that article seem to really like Sonny's and it looks like it is within walking distance to the liberty bell.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I pick it back up Saturday night! Just talked to Tyler. I'll have to replumb and probably re run lights, but that's not a big deal. I'm just glad to get her back. The Line-X premium looks great in the pictures!

• AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I believe Carmen's is in the Reading Terminal Market and I hear they are good. You can also never go wrong with a hot pork sandwich from DiNic's 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    I am from GA but I have spent a lot of time in the Philly area. I travelled there for work and some co-workers and I went on a mission to try various places. Pat's and Genos are indeed iconic places but there are way better places out there. It has been a long time so I don't remember all the places we went, but Dalessandro's was the winner of our little group. However that is a little far from the liberty bell. 

I found this that has some recommendations: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/best-philly-cheesesteaks.html I remember

John's Roast Pork was on my list to try but don't think I ever made it.

The reviewers in that article seem to really like Sonny's and it looks like it is within walking distance to the liberty bell.

+1; If you go to Reading Terminal, you can get great cheesesteaks, italian roast pork, kosher deli, and most any other sandwich you could ask for. Also, Termini Brothers has amazing Italian pastries.  Because of the great variety of high quality and unique stuff, I would go there if I was only in town for one meal.  Plus it is close to Independence Mall.  

If you want the best cheesesteak and roast pork, John's is the place, but they are done for the day in the early afternoon.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • jvencius
    jvencius Posts: 19
    Options
    Heck, I live in 'nooga and I'll echo his offer...
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    jvencius said:
    Heck, I live in 'nooga and I'll echo his offer...

July 6 is my Chattanooga Day. We were planning on rock city and Ruby falls. Would love to have a beer with y'all that afternoon.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy, would love to have you over for dinner or drinks in Richmond, VA.  Also happy to help with any travel related needs.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I'm still tryin' a figure out what those biscuits were for. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    SonVolt said:

To see where the 'hot" spots are in the cooking chamber.
    SE PA
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Interesting. I've done that in my oven using white bread. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    To determine various temps. If you want to get real technical and check actual draft and velocity, you use lit candles to see which candles blow out. However the candle trick is more used on a smoker with tuning plates when you are doing your final tune on the up/down flow. It’s not real beneficial on a reverse flow smoker. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    SGH said:
    SonVolt said:
    To determine various temps. If you want to get real technical and check actual draft and velocity, you use lit candles to see which candles blow out. However the candle trick is more used on a smoker with tuning plates when you are doing your final tune on the up/down flow. It’s not real beneficial on a reverse flow smoker. 
    This test can only be performed if you are clean shaven and wearing overalls. Anything else skews the results. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy Side note. How's the house coming along? We haven't seen any updated photos in awhile.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This test can only be performed if you are clean shaven and wearing overalls. Anything else skews the results. 
    Agree 100%. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    SGH said:
    Agree 100%. 
    Do you have to wear the overalls “commando style” - or is that just a “guideline”?

Asking for a friend. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Underwear under overalls is completely allowed.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Underwear under overalls is completely allowed.  
    Sure it's allowed, but is it recommend?  Just like when you wear basketball shorts it's acceptable to wear underwear but to truly appreciate the comfort of them you must go comando.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fun look back through memory lane Scott and the group cooks we’ve done on your Shirley on a couple of occasions.  Bb1 being most notable.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SonVolt
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy - How do you like the design of the side-burners? I'm wondering if the cross bars (x-pattern) is a little too sparse. Gonna be hard to use smaller pots and pants without it falling through the gaps.  Have you had any issues with that? I guess if you're only using large stock pots it's a non-issue. I'm wondering more about versatility I guess. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I must admit the only time I ever go commando is when I wear sweatpants to a strip club.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95