Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    1st loaf of 2019
    30% Bobs Red Mill WW at around 88% hydration.  Cold bulk and cold final proof.
    Vanilla with pic order 😏

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    88% hydration?  dear lord that sounds like a PITA!

@lkapigian did you figure out the sourdough flavor you mentioned back in November? if i want a more sour flavor, i've been letting starter go longer, and add more flour and water without throwing it out. then i have a pretty big dose of nice sour starter for each loaf - like 200g starter for a 1000g loaf.

also, the loaves always taste more sour the day after baking.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    anyone interested in sharing some of their starter?  Starting to get into the bread game and by the looks of this thread it will be much trial and error.  oh well, I've got time on my hands though as it wont stop snowing in MN.  We are in the top 10 for accumulation for the month of February and its only the 11th.....  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    blind99 said:
    88% hydration?  dear lord that sounds like a PITA!

@lkapigian did you figure out the sourdough flavor you mentioned back in November? if i want a more sour flavor, i've been letting starter go longer, and add more flour and water without throwing it out. then i have a pretty big dose of nice sour starter for each loaf - like 200g starter for a 1000g loaf.

also, the loaves always taste more sour the day after baking.
    @blind99 , I've been doing a longer bulk fermentation now and have been pleased.  Also,not sure if it helps , but I keep,more of my original starter when bringing it back to life and I do it over 4 days minimum 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    anyone interested in sharing some of their starter?  Starting to get into the bread game and by the looks of this thread it will be much trial and error.  oh well, I've got time on my hands though as it wont stop snowing in MN.  We are in the top 10 for accumulation for the month of February and its only the 11th.....  
    @Hoster05 I would but I'm sure others are better at it IE dehydrated starter
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'd be happy to send you some, if someone can tell me how to. I guess I could feed a small blob of it and stick in a small priority mail box .

Also, check this out:
    http://carlsfriends.net/source.html

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @caliking This article explains how to dry out your starter and reconstitute it.  Should make it easier to mail.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • caliking
    Options
    smokingal said:
    @caliking This article explains how to dry out your starter and reconstitute it.  Should make it easier to mail.
    Thanks! That’s the kind of step by step instruction I needed. 

@Hoster05 I’ll take a stab at it. PM your address please.  

• caliking
    Options
    Query for the breadheads:

I have been wanting to make a Russian-style black bread for a while, and will  take a crack at it this weekend.

The KA website recipe calls for molasses and brown sugar. I was planning on a 24hr or so bulk ferment in the fridge, but not sure how the sugar in the recipe will fare. Fermented sugar= booze, which may bugger up this loaf.

Thoughts? 

• blind99
    Options
    @caliking no idea but you're just the man to try it.  and i want to know how it works.  i don't think there will be a fermentation problem.  are you planning to use starter?  i wonder if it will have enough lifting power - you may need to add some commercial yeast

also, re sending starter, the KA method works great.  Spread about 100g or so on a sheet of parchment with a spatula and get it as thin as possible.  put it in the oven with the light on, and a fan if you can.  no heat.  mine dehydrated overnight.  i broke it up and shipped it out.  @jacksdad reanimated without a hitch.  
  • caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @caliking no idea but you're just the man to try it.  and i want to know how it works.  i don't think there will be a fermentation problem.  are you planning to use starter?  i wonder if it will have enough lifting power - you may need to add some commercial yeast

also, re sending starter, the KA method works great.  Spread about 100g or so on a sheet of parchment with a spatula and get it as thin as possible.  put it in the oven with the light on, and a fan if you can.  no heat.  mine dehydrated overnight.  i broke it up and shipped it out.  @jacksdad reanimated without a hitch.  
    I had to defer the black bread plan, since we were out of cocoa. Plan is to use starter. This bread is traditionally pretty dense, so I'm not that worried about spring . Let me see how the first loaf turns out, then I'll tweak the recipe accordingly. 

I'm on day 2 of drying out the starter to ship out. It's taking a while. Probably because it's a bit thicker in some spots, and probably because it has been wet and humid here. I'll stick it in the oven overnight to speed things along .

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful loaf brother Sci!  And I hope your life has been good busy.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Yes - it has been the good kind of busy. I plan to spend more time back with you degenerates soon. :) It seems I’ve missed a lot of drama from what I can gather. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    bgebrent said:
    Yes - it has been the good kind of busy. I plan to spend more time back with you degenerates soon. :) It seems I’ve missed a lot of drama from what I can gather. 
    Proud to be counted in as one of the degenerates.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    White flour has been out for awhile as part of the 20stone shrinkage plan. As I’ve approached my target weight, I’ve been trying to make a bread that’s semi-kosher for the plan. Gluten free recipes and 100% rye work (sans molases, at least), but neither of those are really bread to me. 

I have a ton of Bob’ dark rye (from the prior 100% rye experiment) and came across a rye, ww, oat and bread flour recipe that looked promising. 
    http://gingerandbread.com/2015/05/12/wholewheat-rye-and-oat-bread/

We had sesame seeds laying around, so I leaned on the Josey Baker recipe for sesame ww bread, and made a soaker w 115g of toasted sesame seeds. 

I gotta say, it really turned out.  Like rye dough, it is sticky as heck.  Thinks I modded:
    • sesame seeds
    • about 2x the starter (300g, which is what I almost always start w)
    • cold bulk, cold final
    • loaf pans (so I can ration myself 40g slices more easily), coated w butter and heavily dusted w cornmeal for easier release
    • 40 min @ 450F (or, until it’s done - ~200F IT)
    My version in the photo, along w a baby slice w butter and Maldon salt. 

Worth a try if you are on a multi-grain kick. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Options
    20stone said:

I almost fell over when I saw that you had posted a loaf. 

Tried multiple versions of rye loaves, but most were kinda gummy after being baked. Good enough as toast, but left something to be desired when used for sammiches. I'll give this a whirl sometime. 

• 20stone
    Options
    caliking said:
    20stone said:

I almost fell over when I saw that you had posted a loaf. 

Tried multiple versions of rye loaves, but most were kinda gummy after being baked. Good enough as toast, but left something to be desired when used for sammiches. I'll give this a whirl sometime. 
    I’m with you re other rye loaves. Bread is a transgression for me, so I am trying to find that balance between whole grain compliance and great flavor/texture. This really turned out. 

One other note, the levain (and also my starter) was 1/2 sprouted ww and 1/2 rye. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    edited March 2019
    Options
    MBB II and III, the game is improving (plus something silly). 

After the last loaves I did, I was going to bang out another batch Saturday.  Mixed the levain on Fri AM expecting to get to it after work.  However, the levain (100g of starter, 50g rye, 50g sprouted WW, 100g H2O) had other ideas.  It got frisky on the window sill, and @20stonespice did all the work. 

Change 1 - Since the lev was ready to go, I asked her to add it to the auto.  I typically just auto flour and water and add the lev and salt (and, in this case, commercial yeast) after.  This dough really improved w the lev in auto.  Salt and commercial yeast waited until the mix. 

Change 2 - Bucket on the porch (warmer) between folds. Same ting - a few degrees really helped things out. 

We did a cold bulk from there (~8 hours IIRC). It rocked in the fridge in spite of the cold, and our guests didnt want to wait til morning, so into loaf pans for final, and into the oven on proofing setting. 

Change 3 - Final in the oven on the “proofing” setting, which turns on the light and runs the convect fan.  Worked like a champ. 

Change 4 - I had pumpkin seeds.  I like pumpkin seeds.  Water mist + rolling the top in pumpkin seeds = pretty tops

We ended up putting them in at 11, out at 11:30, and counting the minutes til I would allow it to be sliced (30 of them).

I know that saying multi grain bread can be really good with this crowd is like saying Tofurky is a great “meat” for Thanksgiving, but this was really good. So much so, that I was directed to make more....so at midnight I stirred up a 1.5x recipe of levain for Sat. 

Change 5 - Out of sesame seeds, so we used flax. A 1.5x recipe would have been 180g but I had 230g, so in they went (after being ina soaker w 230g of H2O). We really like the flax, but miss the sesame, so next time we’re doing a mix.

I had to get it done early (out of the oven by 5:30PM), so no cold bulk yesterday.

Change 6 - Bulk on the back porch, cutting the time way down (I’ll check my notebook later). 

Final again in the proofing oven, and this time I had to cut it back to get it baked, and, to my surprise, it rose like a champ.  I’m guessing that the vitality from the warm bulk carried through.  I will find a pick of the final loaves, but they rose appreciably more than Friday’s loaves (pictured above). 

Change 7 - I pulled them early.  I normally bake until about 200+F IT on bread, but pulled this at 190F, and like it better. 

...and the promised silliness. After all these loaf pans, I wanted to do a boule in a DO. 

...but, after filling three loaf pans, didn’t have a ton of dough available, so had to scale. 

Our little bouletto made 6 little amous bouches before our dinner. For the win!

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Options
    @20stone That’s a nice looking 4qt Staub :smiley:

• NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @20stone Bread game looks great! That Staub!💕  reminds me a bit of our Le Creuset cocottes.
     #beardonpoint 
    I'm gonna let mine get a bit longer before I  square it up again. 👊

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Hoster05
    Options

How do you guys keep your dough from sticking to the bottom of the Cambro tub during bulk fermentation? First instinct is flour obviously but not sure if that will throw the hydration Percentage off. I feel like I’m losing a lot of trapped gas when I move the mass to the counter for shaping and final proof.

Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

@Hoster05 I use a plastic dough scraper or just use your hands (dampen) and be as gentle as you can. Truthfully though the bulk fermentation process removal from the tub really shouldn't be that big of a concern. Just my opinion. I personally don't want the large bubbles left during the bulk ferment. If you we were talking about during the shaping process then that would be a whole nother story.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Hoster05
    Options

@NPHuskerFL thanks for the advice. I have been having trouble with good oven spring lately and I was attributing it to poor removal from the bulk tub.

Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options

I am starting to get some good sourdough results. It’s quite a process!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • caliking
    Options

Nice loaves, @GlennM ! I’ve been wanting to try baguettes for a while.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options

I’m just figuring out this sourdough baguette thing. It’s more complicated than yeast

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    A good loaf of bread always makes me happy. This is a great way to start the day. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    A good loaf of bread always makes me happy. This is a great way to start the day. 

Nice! Just fed my starter today
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blind99
    Options
    Here’s what not to do:

Oops.