Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Looking for a fun family car

Options
The time has likely come for me to get rid of my beloved track-packed Mustang GT in favour of a more practical, family-appropriate alternative. I anticipate a tearful goodbye this spring. 

Given the big adjustment in this regard, I’d like a good balance between something big enough to accommodate a family of four and something that’s still got some pep and is fun to drive. I live in a climate of extremes - hot, humid summers and long, bitterly cold, snow-deluged winters. All wheel drive ain’t a bad idea. Would be a plus if my new whip didn’t break the bank. 

In light of the above, I was contemplating a Subaru - likely the 3.6R Outback (unless I can convince my wife the WRX is big enough. :)).

Anyone got any alternatives that I should be considering? Just doing my research now so that I can pounce once I see a good deal - as I did with my Mustang. 

Thanks all!

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Crew cab f150 platinum 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Crew cab f150 platinum 
    Lol. Might be a bit too much of a jump for me. Plus, my petite wife may not love having to drive a massive vehicle from time to time. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Have the Outback myself. Can’t name a better option. Get the drivers assist. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Did you go 2.5 or 3.6? While economical on gas, I worry the 2.5 will leave me wanting.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The new Toyota Supra just came out. The first one brought $2.3m but they will start below $50k for the rest. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Mickey: Trying to move away from a two-door coupe.  :)
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Eggdicted_Dawgfan Posts: 1,896
    edited January 2019
    Options

Panamera
    Snellville, GA

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for all the practical suggestions guys!  :|

Actually, my B-I-L has the 707 hp Jeep Trackhawk, which would fit the bill nicely we’re it not for the price tag. 
  • Mdames501
    Options
    I feel your pain. I’m gearing up to sell my California special GT soon as well. I inherited my dads 69 Chevy pickup so I still have a toy but I do love the mustang 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Mdames501 said:
    I feel your pain. I’m gearing up to sell my California special GT soon as well. I inherited my dads 69 Chevy pickup so I still have a toy but I do love the mustang 
    Funny - your profile has me thinking you’d be riding a real Mustang, rather than the mechanical variety. 
  • Mdames501
    Options
    Wasn’t room for my dog on the horse. So traded it in 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    BMW X5 with a big lump up front, petrol or diesel.  M-spec can ride a bit hard though.  Nicer to drive then the RR Sport, in my opinion.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Did you go 2.5 or 3.6? While economical on gas, I worry the 2.5 will leave me wanting.
    2.5.....with all wheel has plenty of power. If you are going to pull heave loads....jump up. Otherwise the 2.5 will bring joy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Only suggestion here is to keep the Mustang and add to your stable. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Idk what your budget is but my wife like her CTS V.  It’s fast as heck and fun to drive.  Back seat is big enough for a couple of kids.   Other than that I’m a big VW fan so the Golf GTI is fun or the Golf R if you can swing it.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If you are looking at the Subaru, in the 6 cylinder, I just went through this exact process with essentially the same criteria. Fun, all wheel drive, a little zip, enough room for kids and gear. Here’s the list I looked in my order of preference

Acura MDX
    Toyota Highlander
    Honda Pilot
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Kia Sorento
    Subaru Outback

Dont know your budget. They all come with 6 Cylinders. They all have AWD and all drive fairly sporty for what it is. 

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I know Chevrolet didn't sell many but the SS is very much under appreciated. Rear wheel drive, 0-60 under 5 seconds, manual transmission, room for 5, and has a subtle look to it. Something that's not going to get you pulled for speeding because of the way it looks. I think they discontinued them in 2017. I think they might be possibly collector cars one day. They sold less than 12,000 total. 

It reminds me of the 1996 Impala SS (My dream car) I like the big family cruisers. 

https://youtu.be/QfJjH4oZDTA
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    We can't go back to a car, as they are just too hard to get in and out of. And there are 2 child seats in the back for the grandkids.  Had great luck with our Acura MDX, and probably should have bought another one. WIfe drives a Lincoln MKX now, and it just turned 27K on the odometer.  She has been looking at the Audi's and Infinities for her nex SUV.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Calling @fishlessman... He can swing a sweet deal on a R Rover..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, or as above a BMW X5. The outback is also good but slow as molasses even in the 3.6. I would also recommend if you aren’t towing, a Lexus RX fsport. If towing the GX460 is awesome. I dunno what you mean by not breaking the bank but the certified preowned bmw’s and Lexus are amazing deals.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    OP asks for car suggestions, gets a bunch SUV and trucks suggested.  Welcome to forum-think.
    edited January 2019
    Options
    OP asks for car suggestions, gets a bunch SUV and trucks suggested.  Welcome to forum-think.
    That’s because for the large majority of people there are pretty much zero cars left still being manufactured that appeal to them. Why do you think all the automobile manufactures are switching over to 95% crossovers and suvs. It’s because A) there is more profit for them, and B ) nobody wants a car when they can get a crossover with more utility and the same mpg.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,295
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I actually meant “vehicle,” but erred my haste. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    He didn’t say SUVs were off the table, there’s not a lot of sedan options these days.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I miss the days of fun to drive family cars. Per nola’s statement, If a car is specifically what you are wanting then anything from BMW or Audi are probably the only “fun” family sedans left. MAybe a couple of the infiniti models or a Lexus GX

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I had considered a Charger RT, but I am not entirely convinced it will give me enough room. 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Acura MDX all wheel drive
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • unoriginalusername
    Options

Panamera
    Not a bad suggestion. Used ones go for less than any other Porsche of the same age/mileage 

surprisingly spacious and still fun 
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    Jeeps are fun. 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak...