Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABTs for lazy folks, I guess

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
The other day I was shopping at Kroger. First time I've ever seen them there, but they were selling ABTs which were boat style and only contained philly cheese and wrapped with just a half piece of bacon. Their price?  $1 each! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    How were they?
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I saw them at Publix last week also didn’t look at the price
  • There are a lot of lazy folks walking around Kroger ain’t that right Ron.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2019
    I spotted this at whole foods. For people who don’t have kitchen shears I suppose. I think it will be as much work opening the package as it would be to spatch the chicken yourself. Didn’t catch the price. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I spotted this at whole foods. For people who don’t have kitchen shears I suppose. I think it will be as much work opening the package as it would be to spatch the chicken yourself. Didn’t catch the price. 

I’ll admit to buying already spatchcocked chickens from Trader Joe’s for weeknight meals occasionally.  Packaging was not like that though, just a simple snip and straight to the grill since they come seasoned. 

I have a 3 year old and 1 year old so Trader Joe’s is more popular with us right now in general. 
  • I spotted this at whole foods. For people who don’t have kitchen shears I suppose. I think it will be as much work opening the package as it would be to spatch the chicken yourself. Didn’t catch the price. 

I buy that brand all the time, Bell & Evans. It's air cooled, I know many people say it's  marketing hype but when I'm too lazy to go to the butcher to get one of these (non-spatched) my wife take a bite, rolls her eyes and just says "ahh I see the cheapskate came out tonight and bought tysons" Further explination of the benefits : https://www.dartagnan.com/air-chilled-chicken-tastes-better.html

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    edited January 2019
    Don’t walk past the deli, the chickens already fried too
    Jacksonville FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Lazy?
    Not everyone is making a batch of these things and needing to buy a dozen jalapenos, a brick of cream cheese, a pound of bacon, etc., etc.
    Sometimes, I'm guessing, some folks might just want to grab three or four to go with a quick nightly meal after a long day at work. I'd also bet that some folks have never even heard/seen these things before and might want to just buy a couple to give them a try.
    The lazy folks are the ones that don't make/cure their own bacon to make ABT's. And grow their own jalapenos...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    At at least I grow my own jalapeños but the real Eggers are the ones who grow their  own pre bacon.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    edited January 2019
    For the level of effort and quantity of ABT's I crank out on a recurring basis (if you're gonna do 15 might as well do 30 and use the whole pound of bacon (half strips)) there is no friggin way I will use home cured bacon.   But to each his/her own. 
    Edit: Those ABT's described by @RRP are here at that price point and have been for several months. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Not a fan of the boat style.  I go whole pepper and whole piece of bacon.  So, I'll buy 16 nice size jalapenos when I'm ready to roll a batch out.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Every time I go thru my Kroger/Dillion’s I see these by the chicken & steak kabobs.  Twice the price of making them from scratch. But they seem to sell well!
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @RRP did you buy any? At $1 a piece They better be amazing.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Cornholio said:

I’ll admit to buying already spatchcocked chickens from Trader Joe’s for weeknight meals occasionally.  Packaging was not like that though, just a simple snip and straight to the grill since they come seasoned. 

I have a 3 year old and 1 year old so Trader Joe’s is more popular with us right now in general. 
    No judgements...truth be told I usually buy the already cooked rotisserie chicken from Sams or Costco. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    ryantt said:
    I don’t know what is so offensive about a buck? They are labor intensive PITA to make. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    If I had never heard of one, it would at least give me an idea to go make some. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    ryantt said:
    I don’t know what is so offensive about a buck? They are labor intensive PITA to make. 
    Very true the are labor intensive.  I was just thinking when we do them for a party we always end up making 5–6 dozen poppers, so at $1 each for 1/2 of a peeper it would get expensive for extreamly ceap self.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited January 2019
    I tried them one time from the Food Lion. They had both with chicken and sausage. They were, ok. As some stated labor intensive yes, but end result much better. IMHO
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    took so long to make the abt's the first few times i would have paid a buck each.  its down to maybe less than a minute a piece now. for something so simple i dont understand why it used to take so long.  the market basket i buy from started making bacon wrapped scallops, 24 for 16 bucks, they must have a huge holiday overstock to be putting them out for that price. decent sized
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Image result for cow images
    Burgers for not-lazy folks.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    took so long to make the abt's the first few times i would have paid a buck each.  its down to maybe less than a minute a piece now. for something so simple i dont understand why it used to take so long.  the market basket i buy from started making bacon wrapped scallops, 24 for 16 bucks, they must have a huge holiday overstock to be putting them out for that price. decent sized
    Grab a jalapeño corer if you don't have one. Worth the few bucks they cost 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    WeberWho said:
    Grab a jalapeño corer if you don't have one. Worth the few bucks they cost 
    Just added one to my Amazon cart, thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FNU7G6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_-fnoCb90RBZ5R

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’ve bought the premade at HEB when in a pinch - or limited by someone else’s kitchen or prep space, or timing.  Last minute BBQ invite when we’ve been out, etc.
  • I don’t know how I haven’t seen that before but I love that idea! 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    I don’t know how I haven’t seen that before but I love that idea! 
    she has a lobster dip recipe floating around out there thats killer.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I don’t know how I haven’t seen that before but I love that idea! 
    Here is a link to same recipe on Dizzy Pig's site - it has some pics and detail that may be helpful

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet