Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT**The Unofficially Official Pizza Thread**OT

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited December 2018

Would it be sacrilege to use both the "00" red and my Unbleached AP in a recipe? I am partial to a New York Style crust and several of the recipes I've seen calls for a mix of the 2? 

Would this one work?

I find a blend of flours to work best.  Get some King Arthur Bread Flour from Krogers next time . . love the chew it adds when blended with 00.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Pulled the trigger. Figured for $20 bucks its worth a shot. If I'm blown away by the difference I will just have to buy in bigger bulk. On that note, how are you folks storing this stuff?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• NDG
    This article first opened my eyes - good read that I re-visit every few months, but kinda all over the place but loaded with info.

http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have Caputo 00, but lately, I've been using Jim Lahey's no knead recipe with bread flour (KA, Gold Medal, Pillsbury, whatever). Maybe if I had a real WFO, I would notice a difference with 00, but as it is, I really don't.

Don't remember which bread flour brand here, but it was at 675°. It was good. Nice leopard spotting on the bottom too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NDG
    edited December 2018
    @Carolina Q wow that looks great!  I nailed a few BGE pizzas but just found consistency near impossible, esp if your cooking 4 or more pies.  
    Columbus, OH

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    "Getting better..." I think you are there.
    This pizza thread is killing me here at work.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little bit better this week. Next week I’m really looking forward to cooking with the caputo flour. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Pulled the trigger. Figured for $20 bucks its worth a shot. If I'm blown away by the difference I will just have to buy in bigger bulk. On that note, how are you folks storing this stuff?
     The 00 will make for a chewier crust, even mixed with AP. But I doubt you will be blown away by it , if baking in the oven.

Do you have HEB near you? They carry 00 in the one by me.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Pulled the trigger. Figured for $20 bucks its worth a shot. If I'm blown away by the difference I will just have to buy in bigger bulk. On that note, how are you folks storing this stuff?
     The 00 will make for a chewier crust, even mixed with AP. But I doubt you will be blown away by it , if baking in the oven.

Do you have HEB near you? They carry 00 in the one by me.
    No North Texas doesn’t have HEB yet. Hopefully soon. 

• @TEXASBGE2018 we have caputo 00 in Central Market 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • It’s the red bag, but I find that it works just fine!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Cooked up a couple za’s tonight.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great, dill-weed!
    pretty pizza @Eggcelsior !!
    Columbus, OH

• jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    I just ordered some flour I’m excited to try it. I swear this place causes me to spend more $$ all the time. How many pies will 6lbs make roughly?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2019
    jeffc5227 said:
    I just ordered some flour I’m excited to try it. I swear this place causes me to spend more $$ all the time. How many pies will 6lbs make roughly?
    I usually make 6 dough balls from 1 kilo, which is 2.2 lbs. My balls average 250-260 grams each, but can vary. I can squeeze out 7-8 balls if I keep the balls around 220 grams. I'd say 15-20 pizzas with 6 lbs, based on your individual dough ball weight. Also, I make 11-12 inch pizzas with those sizes.
  • jeffc5227 said:
    Depends on the size of the pies and your hydration level.  Probably around 25 to 30.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Perfect thanks.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    jeffc5227 said:
    Depends on the size of the pies and your hydration level.  Probably around 25 to 30.
    So John, with this Caputo flour last week I did 100% and felt the results were much better than say 70% Caputo 30% UBAP. I think I was at about 75% hydration. What do you typically do again for yours?

• Eggcelsior
    jeffc5227 said:
    So John, with this Caputo flour last week I did 100% and felt the results were much better than say 70% Caputo 30% UBAP. I think I was at about 75% hydration. What do you typically do again for yours?
    He usually does around 60%, as do I.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    jeffc5227 said:
    What would be the negatives of doing 60% if I am using a 500 degree oven not an egg or pizza oven?

• jeffc5227 said:
    What would be the negatives of doing 60% if I am using a 500 degree oven not an egg or pizza oven?
    I have never tried it, but my guess is that you will burn it up.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    jeffc5227 said:
    Yeah,you'd likely overcook the dough. Ken Forkish advises 70% for home ovens, and his recipes in his pizza cookbook reflect that.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Making pies today using my standard 72hr dough, but I'm also going to experiment with this one.

Using my homemade Italian sausage that I made a few weeks ago today. Very excited about that!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Eggcelsior
    I'm doing a modified Enzo recipe tonight. Looking forward to it!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    ColtsFan said:
    The Ardore is dialed in and slinging some great pies. The same day dough was impressive. Didn't have the flavor of a 3 day, but will surely do the job.

Pepperoni 

Homemade Italian sausage, mushroom, onion on the right. 

Decent bottom 

Pies looking perfect!
    what cooking temp are dialed in at?
    are you using the standard stones or the upgrade?
    Thanks!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas