Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think I’m done.

Options

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    BGE gave everybody a forum free from moderation, company control, and you can talk about whatever you want.  http://www.greeneggers.com
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    “... I’ve never been a fan of policing speech in any  context...”

Really? You drop f bombs in front of your kids? Do you drop f bombs in front of your mom and dad? I met your Dad and he’s not f bomb material. How about the Dean of your school? 

The point I’m trying to make is speech is generally policed “for the general good”. In the vast majority of cases, it’s self policing. You’re aren’t going to tell the officer what you really think... In certain cases, the policing has to be done from the outside because frankly some folks don’t understand the concept of “time and place”. 

Here’s a clip from Tombstone that helps illustrate my point. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ79nNquQ0c

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    we would need rules for the sandbox

Conflict Resolution Starts in the Sandbox

The sand beckons them. One child reaches for a shovel and kneels, prepares to dig. The other takes off his shoes and swishes his bare feet back and forth. “A sand angel!” he exclaims. His whole body is in the game now, back flat, head still, arms flailing. Again and again he returns to recreate the form his body makes in the sand. Each time, more sand is kicked up into the air, his vigorous movements creating a spray in the blue sky above.

As the sand flies higher, the digging child, the neighbor caught beneath the storm, must make a choice. Sand is getting into his hair and into his carefully dug hole. But what should he do?

Here are five possibilities he might consider:

1. Yell “HEY!” and forcefully shove the offender away.
    2. Quickly get up and leave the sandbox until the offender has finished.
    3. Draw a line in the sand and tell the offender never to cross the boundary.
    4. Threaten to destroy the offender’s project in return.
    5. Engage the offender in the digging project.

Depending on the child’s temperament and also based on what has worked well for him in the past, one of these options might be more appealing.

But which is the right way to handle it? The ethical choice?

The Buffalo’s Dilemma

To the adult observing, perhaps it is clear who was in the wrong and who should be the one to change his behavior or leave the sandbox. We, the adults, have created a rule, and that rule is “No throwing sand - EVER,” because let’s face it: a sobbing child with sand in the eyes is no joke!

As parents, our instinct is often to intervene immediately and not risk the possible sand-throwing war that could ensue between the two parties. We are also aware of a culturally confining unwritten book called Good Parenting, which instructs: Remind everyone of the rules and strictly enforce them at all times. The consequence of not adhering to this parenting format puts one in a bit of social danger. No one wants to be thought of as the bad parent.

Really Good Buffaloing

Courage is required for thinking outside of the box. As well, constantly intervening in potential conflicts is both exhausting and, to be honest, a thoughtless approach to child rearing. It is the dog barking at every passing stranger - regardless of whether or not he is here to burgle. If we want our children to learn how to make the ethical choice in the sandbox, we must see ourselves not as rule enforcers but as ethics mentors.

We must teach them to think critically and very quickly through a series of questions that may look something like this:

1. Does the sand-throwing pose an immediate danger to oneself, the community, or the environment?
    2. Is the sand-throwing intentional?
    3. Does the sand thrower see the digger sitting there nearby?
    4. Is violence (shoving) necessary in order to stop the danger?
    5. Would stepping away to observe allow one to get a different point of view (and out of danger)?

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    “We all agree we have tons of other places on the net to discuss those topics, why can't one place be free from them?“ - @MNEggerandStuff

Because some folks do value discussing a wide range of topics with the unique set of friends they’ve come to know through egging.  What is taboo for one person may not be for another.  Where do you draw the line?  I understand that this is a company website and not a public forum, but I’ve never been a fan of policing speech in any  context.  

Personally, I don’t see any reason why things like this simply couldn’t be handled by a dedicated subforum, like what the bbq brethren has set up.  Set up a kind of sandbox for hot-button topics for folks who are interested in those kind of discussions to engage in them, while allowing others to simply choose to avoid the area completely.

Most sites then keep the off topic / pub section as viewable by members only so lurkers can't see those discussions.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Personally, I don’t see any reason why things like this simply couldn’t be handled by a dedicated subforum, like what the bbq brethren has set up.  Set up a kind of sandbox for hot-button topics for folks who are interested in those kind of discussions to engage in them, while allowing others to simply choose to avoid the area completely.

The BBQ Brethren site is the perfect place for such a subforum. It is not a corporate site.
    There is no reason for this BGE site to host it. There are so many other private sites to do so. 
    Respectfully Darian, I think you miss a key point, which is the opportunity to discuss topics with people you've gotten to know through egging.  I certainly could join the Brethren if I wanted to, but based on what I've heard, I only know a small handful of the members there.  
    I do understand. It would be much more fun to discuss any topic with people you are familiar with. I do get it.
    I just think it's unrealistic to ask or expect a company based forum to host such a place for our side entertainment.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    Options
    BGE gave everybody a forum free from moderation, company control, and you can talk about whatever you want.  http://www.greeneggers.com
    its funny, when bge took over control of that forum it was so they could clean it up and control it. they were the original egghead forum,  that forum is pretty much free and clear of the shenanigans
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    “... I’ve never been a fan of policing speech in any  context...”

Really? You drop f bombs in front of your kids? Do you drop f bombs in front of your mom and dad? I met your Dad and he’s not f bomb material. How about the Dean of your school? 

LMAO
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    That website makes me cringe every time I load it.  Yikes.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    its funny, when bge took over control of that forum it was so they could clean it up and control it. they were the original egghead forum,  that forum is pretty much free and clear of the shenanigans
    Probably because almost nobody is on it.  
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Probably because almost nobody is on it.  
    that forum was more like this forum became ;) trolls, people storming off etc,  the good ole days
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Remember the guy who came on here for a while then created a new Egg forum?  BGE Nest or something like that.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I think Jason may really be done! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    He’s just trying to break Husker’s record.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Nah

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Am I done?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Am I done?
    What's your IT?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Am I done?
    I've met you a few times now, and you look done to me.  Of course, I am no one to talk about that.  Just look at me.  
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Am I done?
    I've met you a few times now, and you look done to me.  Of course, I am no one to talk about that.  Just look at me.  
    You did something different with your hair...right?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My goal is to hit the 30k post count threshold then scuttle my account with a gibberish password and become a vegetarian, living a life of quiet meditation. 
    Options
    My goal is to hit the 30k post count threshold then scuttle my account with a gibberish password and become a vegetarian, living a life of quiet meditation. 
    Well given the number of zombie threads you have resuscitated in the last 2 days you will probably get there pretty quick.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    So if it's banishment worthy given the new standards, does it have to be written now to warrant a banishment?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Well given the number of zombie threads you have resuscitated in the last 2 days you will probably get there pretty quick.
    As usual, WRONG.
    Options
    As usual, WRONG.
    Sounds like you are just butt hurt that you can't make this place your personal trashrag anymore so you are bringing back old "controversial" threads to prove something. Keep it up. Dozens of us are looking forward to it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    @thetrim is the one on the resurrection mission 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Thank you. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited January 2019
    Options
    As usual, WRONG.
    Sounds like you are just butt hurt that you can't make this place your personal trashrag anymore so you are bringing back old "controversial" threads to prove something. Keep it up. Dozens of us are looking forward to it.
    #factsmatter see above
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    Options
    just dusted off my bbqbrethren account after a 4 year hiatus. @centexsmoker
    I finally get your name.  Central Texas .... Funny, I always thought you were a certified nurse from Texas.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Funny... I don’t FEEEEEEEEL done...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I finally get your name.  Central Texas .... Funny, I always thought you were a certified nurse from Texas.
    Ha! Correct. This was really like my 4th attempt to sign up and I had run through all the smart names. Every business down here is “cen-Tex” something. Centex heating and air, centex roofing, Centex pool cleaning. I didn’t think I would get in again so I just threw it out there. Well damnit if that one didn’t stick. I never thought I would post anyway. I was just looking for tips and recipes so I just let it roll. Waaaaay too many posts later, here we are. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ha! Correct. This was really like my 4th attempt to sign up and I had run through all the smart names. Every business down here is “cen-Tex” something. Centex heating and air, centex roofing, Centex pool cleaning. I didn’t think I would get in again so I just threw it out there. Well damnit if that one didn’t stick. I never thought I would post anyway. I was just looking for tips and recipes so I just let it roll. Waaaaay too many posts later, here we are. 
    And now you are a legend. We bow our knee.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker