Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - How much time do you spend on this forum?

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Only when I am drinking wine......wait, I am always drinking wine.....bad answer....

Log on and off. Total time, couple hours per week.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    DMW said:
    KennyCJR said:
    Best way to ruin friendship, is to talk religion and politics.  
    Best way to better your own view of religion and politics is to discuss religion and politics with friends.
    I agree, but not on a bbq forum.  

Just opinion.  
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Honestly, I have a self-imposed rule about the internet or TV since retirement, .  I do read the Charlotte Observer and the Wall Street Jornal each morning with coffee and bacon.  (don't judge).  I then check on a few elderly folks My Mom included.  Do some "honey doos" then prep dinner.  Around 6 or so, I'm ready for a SMALL drink or 4 to cook. It works for us.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    KennyCJR said:
    Best way to ruin friendship, is to talk religion and politics.  
    Best way to better your own view of religion and politics is to discuss religion and politics with friends.
    If my friends wanted to talk religion and politics all the time, they wouldn’t be my friends for very long. 

If my friends didn't want to talk about ... eh, whatever.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Honestly, I have a self-imposed rule about the internet or TV since retirement, .  I do read the Charlotte Observer and the Wall Street Jornal each morning with coffee and bacon.  (don't judge).  I then check on a few elderly folks My Mom included.  Do some "honey doos" then prep dinner.  Around 6 or so, I'm ready for a SMALL drink or 4 to cook. It works for us.

No judgement, but when you say “coffee and bacon”, are we talking just coffee and bacon, or do you mean accompanied by other items (e.g., eggs, toast, etc.)?

If you are talking exclusively coffee and bacon, and especially if you combine them - I am picturing a crunchy, savoury stir stick - then I must commend you for your ambition and your imagination, sir. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Plenty of short visits on the phone, no idea how long in total, but I'm sure it adds up.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Depends largely on the volume of conference calls....the validity and importance....and my travel calendar. Too much!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Usually a half hour in the morning and then another half hour in the evenings.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    bucky925 said:

Approaching my own retirement, I've been thinking more about how my "day" is going to be; I like your approach, but I don't have a "honey boss" so things need cleaning sometimes.   ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I am not a prolific poster, and I never got into the habit of taking pictures of my food, but I always spend some time on the forum in the morning. After reading Calvin and Hobbes and checking the weather forecast. An before the news (I have my priorities.) I don't time it, but it could be thirty minutes to an hour and a half. Depends entirely on content.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    I try to check in a few times a week.  Mostly when I’m sitting on the can an I’ve already read through all the Hustlers the guys have left in there.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Way less than I used to. Probably < 1 hr per day on average. 

With my most recent job change, I don’t keep my phone on me throughout the day.  so it’s not as easy to pop in and out quickly throughout the day.  Harder to stay engaged. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    SGH said:
    I use to be on 18-20 hours a day. Now I’m on when I can be. Sometimes life just gets in the way. 
    you went crazy when you found the forum.Like 10k posts in 90 days 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    I use to be on 18-20 hours a day. Now I’m on when I can be. Sometimes life just gets in the way. 
    and all of those as an 85 year old man who ate 12,000 calories a day. I swore he was a phony until the day I met him. He is the furthest thing from a phony as has ever lived but he had me fooled.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Since I live the every day is Saturday life style I have to say that the average is 2-3 hours/day but when doing volunteer work (2 days/week), motoring/driving, or otherwise occupied (like learning how to take pics of food  ;) ) or actually prepping and cooking said groceries I am not here. If a slow day at the Red Cross (the volunteer work piece) I will check on it periodically.  FWIW- I extremely rarely check from my phone so unless at the desktop I'm not here. 
    Trying to smooth out the random checks over the course of a day leads to the above guesstimate.  FWIW-
    If I’m not putting you on the spot, would you mind speaking in more detail to your volunteering, please? What do you do at the Red Cross? Would like to her more about your day-to-day experience, as I feel that this is (very unfortunately) often a lost and and under appreciated contribution.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SGH said:
    and all of those as an 85 year old man who ate 12,000 calories a day. I swore he was a phony until the day I met him. He is the furthest thing from a phony as has ever lived but he had me fooled.
    Please tell us more about this elusive and enigmatic character. I pictured him being in his mid-40s. Are you saying he is actually a senior citizen? Pics or I won’t believe you. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    Please tell us more about this elusive and enigmatic character. I pictured him being in his mid-40s. Are you saying he is actually a senior citizen? Pics or I won’t believe you. 
    His pics are all over on here. He's above mid 40's but not 85 as he claimed to be when he showed up out of thin air. He posted so much out of the gate we were all convinced he was a regular having some fun with the rest of us. He was having fun with us, but he was not a regular.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    GrateEggspectations said:
     Pics or I won’t believe you. 
    I’m the fellow on the right. 

Me on the left. My long haired friend (nolaegghead) on the right. 

I’m the fellow on the left. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    GrateEggspectations said:
     Pics or I won’t believe you. 
    I’m the fellow on the right. 

Me on the left. My long haired friend (nolaegghead) on the right. 

I’m the fellow on the left. 

The flag on the left won BTW.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    The flag on the right is the Mississippi State flag. Most Masonic Lodges display their State flag along with the American flag. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    The flag on the right is the Mississippi State flag. Most Masonic Lodges display their State flag along with the American flag. 
    Sorry, missed that detail. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    Sorry, missed that detail. 
    Mississippi still thinks they were wronged so they may never change the design of their flag.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Mississippi still thinks they were wronged so they may never change the design of their flag.
    I don’t know brother Heavy. I have lived here just a little over 55 years and I have never felt wronged. Actually just the opposite. I have year round access to cheap, fresh seafood. Due to location, I have been fortunate to get to work in the oil industry most of my life and make a good living. I guess like anything, it’s what you chose to make of it.  

Status- Standing by.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    bucky925 said:

No judgement, but when you say “coffee and bacon”, are we talking just coffee and bacon, or do you mean accompanied by other items (e.g., eggs, toast, etc.)?

If you are talking exclusively coffee and bacon, and especially if you combine them - I am picturing a crunchy, savoury stir stick - then I must commend you for your ambition and your imagination, sir. 
    Actually, if you want to get technical, breakfast (most mornings)is one small slice of Frank Courier Hot sausage along with an egg sunny side up dumped into a bowl of instant grits.  I wash it down with a cup of black coffee and a glass of orange juice.  I try and not eat bread or cheese although I do cheat sometimes. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    About 30 mins when there is any real cooking or equipment info but not interested in the other BS since this is a BGE forum not facebook type
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow