Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT (sort of) priorities

Options
12346»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Legume said:
    bgebrent said:
    B) Legume said:
    Tolerant for the internet.  How’s that @bgebrent?  Norms for the internet are not the same as real life interactions.  Disagreement and calling each other stupid on here isn’t exactly intolerance.  I don’t think group hugs and high fives defines tolerance.  Tolerance comes from disagreement.
    Was poking brother.  You gotta know me.  I’m in complete disagreement.
    Some day Brent, some day.  
    Looking forward to it man.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I'm hoping that with the new year coming on we can get our priorities straightened out. this is a Big Green Eg forum and something is wrong when legitimate questions go unanswered or just a few post while a 4 year old Chik-fil-A post can get resurrected from the dead and start an argument all over again (19 new posts in two days). The Friday weirdness is okay but its now grown to be an all week thing. We now often have more off topic threads and arguments than legitimate BGE threads.

This site is also very clannish and intimidating to new members. I've been here for over 2 years and I still don't feel like I belong here. Think about what that does to new BGE owners. 

This has been bothering me for a while and I'e been hesitant to say anything.

That's my $0.02.
    @SaintJohnsEgger …...Bartender, beer for SaintJohnsEgger, on me, thanks!  Well said my friend!  Sat here for 5 mins typing and backspacing things I want to say....nah, just gonna sip on this ole brewski.  Peace out folks!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Let’s talk about actual priorities:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    No one really wants to keep refuges out. We just want people to go through proper immigration channels.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Meals on wheels is allowed south of the border. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No one really wants to keep refuges out. We just want people to go through proper immigration channels.
    Absolutely.
    Options
    Lots of people want to keep immigrants/refugees out (unless they are of the right kind (white) of immigrant). Have you not been paying attention the last couple of years?
    Most undocumented immigrants come here legally and just overstay their visas. The Wall Steel Slats won't do anything to change that but it is interesting to see how willingly so many folks are to donate money to build (at least a small section) of such a Maginot Line:

What's the betting line on them actually meeting their goal?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    .....Most undocumented immigrants come here legally and just overstay their visas. The Wall Steel Slats won't do anything to change that but it is interesting to see how willingly so many folks are to donate money to build (at least a small section) of such a Maginot Line.....
    Didn't the Germans just go round it?
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lots of people want to keep immigrants/refugees out (unless they are of the right kind (white) of immigrant). Have you not been paying attention the last couple of years?
    Most undocumented immigrants come here legally and just overstay their visas. The Wall Steel Slats won't do anything to change that but it is interesting to see how willingly so many folks are to donate money to build (at least a small section) of such a Maginot Line:

So they’re 1.4% of the way to funding 4% of the actual, estimated cost.  I’m not holding my breath on this one.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    In my opinion, you need a dose of OT or non-cooking threads to keep those with the knowledge interested.

Think about it - the guys who truly have a lot to share with others on this forum probably get quite tired of helping others with pork butts, standing rib roast, etc. There are only so many brisket threads one can read and comment on before its simply a new iteration of the same old conversation. Spatchcocked chicken. Wings. Ribs. ABTs. Beef ribs. It’s all been done to death. There’s no problem with this; it’s just that the forum soon becomes monotonous to those who frequent it regularly in absence of other content. 

I’m thankful for the threads that are not cooking related, as I think without them, those who have the knowledge wouldn’t have much incentive to stick around.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Acn said:
    HeavyG said:

So they’re 1.4% of the way to funding 4% of the actual, estimated cost.  I’m not holding my breath on this one.
    Just think of the good that $14m could do. Imagine what Operation OBR could do with the $14m these folks have tossed around. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    thetrim said:
    FWIW, when I try and post a new discussion from my home desktop, it doesn't ask me for a category.  When I post a new discussion from my phone, it does ask for a category and gives me a drop down box from which I can choose one.
    Via the desktop, if you start a new discussion from within an existing discussion you do not get to choose the category. If you start a new discussion from the main forum page then you do get to choose the category.
    Pro tip - just start new discussions from the main page.

Thanks, @HeavyG.  

Didn't know that.

Now I do.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    In my opinion, you need a dose of OT or non-cooking threads to keep those with the knowledge interested.

Think about it - the guys who truly have a lot to share with others on this forum probably get quite tired of helping others with pork butts, standing rib roast, etc. There are only so many brisket threads one can read and comment on before its simply a new iteration of the same old conversation. Spatchcocked chicken. Wings. Ribs. ABTs. Beef ribs. It’s all been done to death. There’s no problem with this; it’s just that the forum soon becomes monotonous to those who frequent it regularly in absence of other content. 

I’m thankful for the threads that are not cooking related, as I think without them, those who have the knowledge wouldn’t have much incentive to stick around.
    Valid points. And to reiterate again; I'm not against off topic threads. I am against taking legitimate BGE related posts off topic with a bunch of garbage. And I am opposed to seeing more emphasis on the off topic stuff than on trying to help others. 

I have grown tired of people asking "How to do..." type questions that quickly degenerate into name calling and political BS.  Yes we have seen those questions 100s of times. Yes I know how to do it. But you (and I) can always learn something new by reading the thread. That's what makes this forum so good.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Acn said:
    HeavyG said:

This gofundme is actually a really good idea, probably for the opposite reason that the person who started it intended. It might actually bring home to the people who are so keen on spending money on a wall how large a sum of money $1 billion is.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Here's how I frame 1 billion:  If you started counting at one second intervals as soon as you were born you would be 31.7 years old by the time you go to 1 billion.  So most of us are on the planet for somewhat over 2 billions seconds.  Happy Saturday!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    And it's so small compared to rest of the budget.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Acn said:
    HeavyG said:

This gofundme is actually a really good idea, probably for the opposite reason that the person who started it intended. It might actually bring home to the people who are so keen on spending money on a wall how large a sum of money $1 billion is.
    Good point.

Its really irritating when citizens have to try and do what our elected officials should be doing. Wall or no wall, we really need to get a handle on immigration. Immigrants should go through proper channels and those proper channels need to be streamlined and show some compassion while protecting our citizens.
    MiniMax 04/17

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Anyone have suggestions on how to smoke a nutria?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Anyone have suggestions on how to smoke a nutria?
    https://nutria.com/site14.php

MiniMax 04/17

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I hate how this OT thread has been polluted with political garbage.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here's how I frame 1 billion:  If you started counting at one second intervals as soon as you were born you would be 31.7 years old by the time you go to 1 billion.  So most of us are on the planet for somewhat over 2 billions seconds.  Happy Saturday!
    Yeah, and just for comparison - 1 million seconds is around 12 days.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I googled (1000000000/(60*60*24))/365.25 and you are correct!

Options
    lousubcap said:
    I googled (1000000000/(60*60*24))/365.25 and you are correct!

Nice that the Google Machine and I are in agreement on something  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Acn said:
    HeavyG said:

You overestimate us. That sounds too sensible.

The folks who have been donating are less likely to come to that realization.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.