Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT (sort of) priorities

Options

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Just because someone adds OT (or in some cases OTOTOT!!!!!!_______________!!!!!!OTOTOT) to a new thread doesn't mean it belongs in the Egghead forum.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I wonder if the aggregate threads on the main page could be configured to ignore the OT subforum. But that will only work if people post in the correct forum. probably no solution available other than self control.

On the bright side this may end up being the longest thread that I have ever started.
    I will say that one thing I wouldn’t mind seeing here is some simple moderation where OT threads were moved to the Off Topic forum if they weren’t there already.  That would make it easier for folks who weren’t interested in that sort of thing at all to just ignore it.
    I wold love to see that. Then you could go to the OT forum only when you feel like reading that stuff. Like maybe on Fridays.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• GrillSgt
    Options
    I'm sure there are a couple of guys on here that would make great mods. They already have the Paul Blart schtick down pretty good.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited December 2018
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I'm sure there are a couple of guys on here that would make great mods. They already have the Paul Blart schtick down pretty good.

Every forum that I have been on has an Admin (the Buffalo) and several moderators. Not sure why this one doesn't. 
    MiniMax 04/17

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    GrillSgt said:

Every forum that I have been on has an Admin (the Buffalo) and several moderators. Not sure why this one doesn't. 
    Because BGE HQ is cheap.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    Legume said:
    John, I don’t think you’re getting it.  Some people pay extra for the platinum subscription that guarantees a certain number of ‘exciting and new’ cooks per day along with accessory reviews & recommendations.  
    I'd love to pay for the platinum subscription. However, until I actually post a pix of a cook I'm stuck with the lead subscription.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    John, I don’t think you’re getting it.  Some people pay extra for the platinum subscription that guarantees a certain number of ‘exciting and new’ cooks per day along with accessory reviews & recommendations.  
    I'd love to pay for the platinum subscription. However, until I actually post a pix of a cook I'm stuck with the lead subscription.
    They keep it down to a limited number of subscribers, invitation only.  Glad I got in when I did, I'd hate to be missing out.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    FWIW, when I try and post a new discussion from my home desktop, it doesn't ask me for a category.  When I post a new discussion from my phone, it does ask for a category and gives me a drop down box from which I can choose one.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    edited December 2018
    Options
    thetrim said:
    FWIW, when I try and post a new discussion from my home desktop, it doesn't ask me for a category.  When I post a new discussion from my phone, it does ask for a category and gives me a drop down box from which I can choose one.
    Via the desktop, if you start a new discussion from within an existing discussion you do not get to choose the category. If you start a new discussion from the main forum page then you do get to choose the category.
    Pro tip - just start new discussions from the main page.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    ^^^What He said^^^

I mostly work from the main page so I always get the dropdown. But usually I forget to set it and then it bitches at me and won't save until I pick a category (really just the sub forums shown on the right navbar)
    MiniMax 04/17

• GrillSgt
    Options
    Or just make sure you’re in the forum that you want your thread in. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    The weather forum I'm on has volunteer Mods chosen for objectivity. Off topic forums are just that and posting banter in main disco threads is verboten for the most part. Political discos are confined to a separate forum with a link for members. Any Pol disco outside of that gets warned deleted and banned if continued. As you can imagine the Pol forum is a free for all. I used to go in but quit as there was just no point. Compared to that place you guys show a remarkable amount of respect for each other. For the record this place is a lot more fun. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I would like to nominate @Phaqallyall and @WesJohnson as forum moderators
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrillSgt
    Options
    Need a third. Flyover?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,223
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Has anyone recommended calling Bruce yet? @tarheelmatt
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Off topic posts are one thing and could be easily handled by moderators moving the post to the OT forum

The real problem is in how you handle legitimate posts/questions/cooks/ that go south after the first few responses.  
    MiniMax 04/17

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    How is that really ‘the real problem’?

Maybe it’s just been too many posts now and I’m the one that has lost the thread here, but what are you trying to solve for?  A clean front page where only threads that are on topic and posts within them stay on topic exist?  And that would be so nobody accidentally stumbles into a conversation about the merits of wearing blinders at Costco or which airport sucks most, until Friday when one sits down in front of their computer with a big cup of regret, looking to be cheered up or kick their proverbial dog online?  I’m all in, sounds great and while we’re at it, let’s get mods to quickly purge any crappy cooks or bad pictures.  We’ve all seen a thousand racks of ribs, so unless you have something really mind blowing and new, you can’t post that **** here.  Only BGE products, lump and accessories as well.

As you can tell, I don’t get it.  It’s not perfect but it’s an amazingly tolerant and supportive community, especially if we can get that question response time down a bit. Is this just boredom and I know other forums that are better managed?  Time and again people share their experiences about those better run forums and it always includes some kind of, ‘but I like it here better’

This is far from the first thread of this kind, I guess after a while viewed against all of the positives here and real problems elsewhere, it just all begins to sound whiny to me, and that’s probably just my problem.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Legume said:
    How is that really ‘the real problem’?

Maybe it’s just been too many posts now and I’m the one that has lost the thread here, but what are you trying to solve for?  A clean front page where only threads that are on topic and posts within them stay on topic exist?  And that would be so nobody accidentally stumbles into a conversation about the merits of wearing blinders at Costco or which airport sucks most, until Friday when one sits down in front of their computer with a big cup of regret, looking to be cheered up or kick their proverbial dog online?  I’m all in, sounds great and while we’re at it, let’s get mods to quickly purge any crappy cooks or bad pictures.  We’ve all seen a thousand racks of ribs, so unless you have something really mind blowing and new, you can’t post that **** here.  Only BGE products, lump and accessories as well.

As you can tell, I don’t get it.  It’s not perfect but it’s an amazingly tolerant and supportive community, especially if we can get that question response time down a bit. Is this just boredom and I know other forums that are better managed?  Time and again people share their experiences about those better run forums and it always includes some kind of, ‘but I like it here better’

This is far from the first thread of this kind, I guess after a while viewed against all of the positives here and real problems elsewhere, it just all begins to sound whiny to me, and that’s probably just my problem.
    WTF are you talking about A??  Tolerant, smfh. :D
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Time to either give this a rest or take it truly sideways for the Friday night entertainment, IMO. 

• Legume
    Options
    Tolerant for the internet.  How’s that @bgebrent?  Norms for the internet are not the same as real life interactions.  Disagreement and calling each other stupid on here isn’t exactly intolerance.  I don’t think group hugs and high fives defines tolerance.  Tolerance comes from disagreement.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Time to either give this a rest or take it truly sideways for the Friday night entertainment, IMO. 

You are a bad person John.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I think this thread went south sometime yesterday morning.
    MiniMax 04/17

• GrillSgt
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I think this thread went south sometime yesterday morning.
    I think it just got interesting. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    B) Legume said:
    Tolerant for the internet.  How’s that @bgebrent?  Norms for the internet are not the same as real life interactions.  Disagreement and calling each other stupid on here isn’t exactly intolerance.  I don’t think group hugs and high fives defines tolerance.  Tolerance comes from disagreement.
    Was poking brother.  You gotta know me.  I’m in complete disagreement.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    Don't forget that there is always the Facebook group. 

I hear they have 1000+ threads and counting about the innovative method of egging meat over your chili...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:

I hear they have 1000+ threads and counting about the innovative method of egging meat over your chili...
    It’s possible I’ve been banned from that.
  • Legume
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    B) Legume said:
    Was poking brother.  You gotta know me.  I’m in complete disagreement.
    Some day Brent, some day.  
  • Legume
    Options
    caliking said:

It’s possible I’ve been banned from that.
    Sounds like a well-moderated safe zone.