Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

APL Beef Tenderloin

Hey guys,
Doing a tenderloin for the fam for Christmas this year.

I keep seeing this "APL" recipe coming up but the link wont open for me (something to do with wordpress).

Does anyone have it handy?
Atlanta, GA
Large Egg ~1998 model

Comments

• Nevermind I found it. 
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Great recipe.  You will not be disappointed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Nevermind I found it. 

Maybe post it for future searchers?

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • I feel like this APL recipe is a unicorn. Lots of people talk about it but I don't see it :)

If some one has a link, please post

• I feel like this APL recipe is a unicorn. Lots of people talk about it but I don't see it :)

I’ll do you one better:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ask and you shall receive! Thanks 
  • One note on this recipe - I've never bothered with the apple spray.  I can't imagine it makes a huge difference.  I also double the glaze amount and tend to apply it liberally almost immediately after the sear.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I feel like this APL recipe is a unicorn. Lots of people talk about it but I don't see it :)

Unicorn? It's straight out of his book. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I made this last year at Christmas and will make it again this year. Outstanding! you'll get complements form everyone at the table.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited December 2018
    I also cooked this last Christmas. It was a hit. Here's the thread with some photos.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210685/serious-barbecue-adam-perry-lang-whole-beef-tenderloin-with-worcestershire-sauce#latest

Photo of the recipe is there too.
    Mountain View, CA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Great recipe, from a cook book worth buying, in my opinion.   I have learned a lot working through "Serious Barbecue".
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 122
    We had Christmas last night for my side of the family and I did this as close to the pure recipe as possible.  It turned out great and was a big hit.  But, unless I'm missing something the time he quotes in the book aren't even close.  I was too busy and didn't take pictures but did a whole tenderloin about 7 lbs.  Seared at 600 for the time he references, but the roasting part took me about an hour.  I pulled at 135 and the center of the tenderloin was still medium rare.  It all went, but I have a group that can't stand any kind of rare/"bloody" meat.  Actually for my liking, it was perfect.  I had a half stone and the tenderloin was over the half stone at about 350 after I dropped the temp.  Still I thought the flavor profile was excellent. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • stevez said:
    We had Christmas last night for my side of the family and I did this as close to the pure recipe as possible.  It turned out great and was a big hit.  But, unless I'm missing something the time he quotes in the book aren't even close.  I was too busy and didn't take pictures but did a whole tenderloin about 7 lbs.  Seared at 600 for the time he references, but the roasting part took me about an hour.  I pulled at 135 and the center of the tenderloin was still medium rare.  It all went, but I have a group that can't stand any kind of rare/"bloody" meat.  Actually for my liking, it was perfect.  I had a half stone and the tenderloin was over the half stone at about 350 after I dropped the temp.  Still I thought the flavor profile was excellent. 
    The recipe is for a 5-lb tenderloin, so part of the time difference is there.  But for sure whenever I do this it takes longer than what he lists.  I typically plan for about an hour for the roast stage.  
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 122
    John, I saw that is was for a 5lb roast but I always heard that once the length of the roast exceeds the diameter that the cooking times are the same.  If I read his instructions correct, after the initial sear then it should only take 20 minutes for medium.  Not exactly sure what his post sear temp was so that may explain a part of it. I was clearly in the 375 range after the drop.  Still great and no complaints but just an FYI for those that haven't tried it yet.  Definitely a do again!
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • Call me crazy, but I've always felt like a good tenderloin needs salt and little else. I salt, reverse sear to 115-120, get the coals rocket hot and finished the outside. Rest briefly and slice/serve. I'll do a very simple horseradish sauce with mayo, horseradish, salt, pepper and that's it. It's much less prep work, and people seem to go for that over the seasoned ones when I've made them. 

Maybe I'm just lazy too!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2018
    Hey guys,

I keep seeing this "APL" recipe coming up but the link wont open for me (something to do with wordpress).

If it's like most APL recipes, you wold have needed to start 2 weeks ago to get it done by Christmas :)

Can't wait to see how it turns out. I have Serious Barbecue and every time I open it up to make something I see the wall of words and 40 ingredients and put it back on the shelf. One day...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I am a devout BGE person- use it several times a week and have for years.  Our Christmas Eve tradition has been a whole brisket on the egg - we put it on the egg on the 23rd starting at 11 PM.  IMHO, we have about perfected it and it is one of my favorite dishes.  HOWEVER, this past Aug for my husband’s birthday I made a tenderloin I had cooked in our newly installed Wolf Convection-Steam oven and it was mind bendingly good.  So good in fact that we all agreed to try it as our new Christmas Eve tradition.  All you do is rub your favorite rub on it, place it on the pan that comes with the oven, stick in the temp probe that comes with the oven, press the button that says Beef Tenderloin- tell it how well you want it cooked, and what time you want it to be done. That’s It.  There is something wrong about how easy it is and how amazing it turns out.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Hey guys,

If it's like most APL recipes, you wold have needed to start 2 weeks ago to get it done by Christmas :)

Can't wait to see how it turns out. I have Serious Barbecue and every time I open it up to make something I see the wall of words and 40 ingredients and put it back on the shelf. One day...
    The thing is: this recipe is actually one of the easiest of them all to do.   
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Hey guys,

The thing is: this recipe is actually one of the easiest of them all to do.   
    Super simple and amazing.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited December 2018
    A little off topic, but this is my favorite way to cook tenderloin.  It's  really good, fun, and a good conversation starter. 

As a bonus, it's a great way to get rid of a t-shirt that you needs to be retired.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/lomo-al-trapo-colombian-cloth-wrapped-salt-crusted-beef-tenderloin-recipe.html

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    Foghorn said:
    A little off topic, but this is my favorite way to cook tenderloin.  It's  really good, fun, and a good conversation starter. 

As a bonus, it's a great way to get rid of a t-shirt that you needs to be retired.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/lomo-al-trapo-colombian-cloth-wrapped-salt-crusted-beef-tenderloin-recipe.html

Nice link Foghead, I’ll give this a go.  Thanks.
  • When you nail this recipe, the layering of the flavors on the crust is friggin incredible.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    bgebrent said:
    Foghorn said:

@bgebrent, know that it is easy to overshoot your temp due to the salt casing.  Once the temp hits 100 it rises fairly quickly - and it will keep cooking for a while after you take it off.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    Foghorn said:
    bgebrent said:
    Foghorn said:

@bgebrent, know that it is easy to overshoot your temp due to the salt casing.  Once the temp hits 100 it rises fairly quickly - and it will keep cooking for a while after you take it off.  
    Duly noted brother.  Appreciate it.
  • Dang this escalated quickly.
    the book/page picture (posted) is the source of this fabled formula.

I will be skipping the finishing dressing and opting for the ever popular bourbon peppercorn cream sauce.

and a reverse sear. 
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    edited December 2018
    @JohnInCarolina - I plan on searing on the Weber kettle so I do not have wait for the egg temp to drop. What is the dome temp when you start the roasting stage, just says "low" in the recipe? Is this stage done with the platesetter or raised direct? 

Merry Christmas all.
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • NJ_BBQ said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I plan on searing on the Weber kettle so I do not have wait for the egg temp to drop. What is the dome temp when you start the roasting stage, just says "low" in the recipe? Is this stage done with the platesetter or raised direct? 

Merry Christmas all.
    Good plan using two grills, that should work well.  I try to go with 250 dome during the roasting stage.  And yes use the platesetter.
  • cottonseed
    cottonseed Posts: 87
    Anyone used this recipe on a tri tip?

Seems like a no brainer 
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model