Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT (sort of) priorities

Options
I'm hoping that with the new year coming on we can get our priorities straightened out. this is a Big Green Eg forum and something is wrong when legitimate questions go unanswered or just a few post while a 4 year old Chik-fil-A post can get resurrected from the dead and start an argument all over again (19 new posts in two days). The Friday weirdness is okay but its now grown to be an all week thing. We now often have more off topic threads and arguments than legitimate BGE threads.

This site is also very clannish and intimidating to new members. I've been here for over 2 years and I still don't feel like I belong here. Think about what that does to new BGE owners. 

This has been bothering me for a while and I'e been hesitant to say anything.

That's my $0.02.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    well said

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This should go well.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    This is all true. 

Take comfort in that nothing has changed in twenty years or so

Frankly, this place is genteel compared to greeneggers.net back in the frontier days. And I was late to that party myself

Bonus: No one here has threatened to shoot anyone. And there are no dustups re sexual dalliances among significant others at Eggfests. 

This place is a conveyor belt. New people getting on all the time, folks dropping off, and people along for the ride thinking it's their conveyor belt. 

I think it's more similar than different compared to its overall history 

• Phaqallyall
    Options
    Complaining about the lack of legit BGE threads by starting an off-topic thread sure is a weird way to make your point. 
    sound it out yaidjit
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Complaining about the lack of legit BGE threads by starting an off-topic thread sure is a weird way to make your point. 
    I agree. But it isn't fully BGE related as I wasn't discussing cooking issues or techniques etc. So I decided to give it the OT (sort of) monicker.

I knew that would appease some and alienate others. Some people are here to just argue and you can't appease them no matter how hard you try.
    MiniMax 04/17

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I have always found the group to be very helpful with any egging question I had. If you aren't interested in a topic, don't open it. A lot of these guys know each other from BGE events, most of these are open to the public so if you're feeling left out just jump right in. You may meet guys that you become life long friends with or you may come home laughing about all the douche bags you met. Either way you won't find a better source for your egging queries. Honestly it sounds like you're looking for something that isn't offered here.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Here’s a pic of my Off Topic page. It’s easy to just not open a thread that doesn’t hold any interest for you, or at least I find it easy.

for you. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You belong here.  Just pick and choose what you want to be a part of.  Some of the lackluster responsiveness to some posts merely reflects the redundancy of the question that could be well answered using the search function.  No ill will for sure.  Glad you're  here.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Here’s a pic of my Off Topic page. It’s easy to just not open a thread that doesn’t hold any interest for you, or at least I find it easy.

for you. 
    You are right, It's anyones choice to view or not to view the OT posts.
    My complaint would be how many times a legitimate BBQ post is hijacked for no reason. Same happens to many great OT posts. Many, not BGE related, are still excellent information on other products or cooking styles. They get spun in another direction and drug down the drain.
    Many will say this is a public forum and you HAVE to expect things like this to happen. This is not a public forum. You have to sign up in order to post, but it's a BGE Corporate forum. Granted, very poorly moderated.
    It's great to have some forum leniency and not be policed for every word but it really gets pushed well beyond a reasonable level on a regular basis.  
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillSgt
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I don't think many great threads get sidetracked. The ones that do are usually ones that have pretty much been played out or a thread that has been hashed, rehashed, sliced and diced many times. 

For example, there are @ 30 threads on the Egghead Forum front page and the only 2 that seem to have gone sideways are the Chik Fil A and How to cook a woodpecker threads. Both of those were only serving their destiny.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I don't think many great threads get sidetracked. The ones that do are usually ones that have pretty much been played out or a thread that has been hashed, rehashed, sliced and diced many times. 
    Should not matter if you think it has been played out. Many others still read it looking for information and should not have to weed through the BS on a legitimate post. There are many OT posts, by the title, that I expect to be sideways. I have no issues with these going every direction.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    My point was that it doesn’t happen enough to let it ruin your enjoyment of the forum. Currently we have one thread on the front page of the Egghead forum that is sideways, and that was already sideways when it was reposted. Unless you’re disappointed that the how to cook a woodpecker thread didn’t really go into culinary details. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I agree with fish a bunch of good cooks are on the whateryou doing now thread 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options

That one got too much for me to keep with.   Guess I should scroll through for new cook ideas.  
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    I don’t feel unwelcome here.  All of my questions have been answered...even the dumb ones. 
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Without the shenanigans this forum would loose a substantial amount of resources. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I'm not wanting to outlaw off topic threads. I'm just pointing out that they get way more emphasis than BGE questions. It is almost Christmas and we are bound to get some new people here. We should be anxious to help them instead of arguing over Chik-fil-A's stance on marriage. And we we did want to debate that it should remain civil.

Yes, I may feel more like part of the in crowd if I attended Butt-Blast and other events. I attend my local Eggfest but I'm retired and can't afford to run all over the country to attend events that sound more like a drunken campout than an Egg event. I don't drink anymore so I doubt I would fit in even if i had the money to attend. That's the problem with retirement; you finally have the time but not the money. Just the opposite of when I was working.

I know how forums work having owned and run my own forum as well as being a member of one of the first major internet forum experiments (Badger Pond). Forums do go through growing pains and they do sometimes die a painful death. I just want to see this one hang around and be useful.

MiniMax 04/17

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I'm not wanting to outlaw off topic threads. I'm just pointing out that they get way more emphasis than BGE questions. It is almost Christmas and we are bound to get some new people here. We should be anxious to help them instead of arguing over Chik-fil-A's stance on marriage. And we we did want to debate that it should remain civil.

Yes, I may feel more like part of the in crowd if I attended Butt-Blast and other events. I attend my local Eggfest but I'm retired and can't afford to run all over the country to attend events that sound more like a drunken campout than an Egg event. I don't drink anymore so I doubt I would fit in even if i had the money to attend. That's the problem with retirement; you finally have the time but not the money. Just the opposite of when I was working.

I know how forums work having owned and run my own forum as well as being a member of one of the first major internet forum experiments (Badger Pond). Forums do go through growing pains and they do sometimes die a painful death. I just want to see this one hang around and be useful.

I think this one will be around for a long time to come. Yes it does wander off into "the dark side" but eventually it comes back into the light. Everyone contributes their part whether you or I agree with them or not, but like the country most of us live in. There are things we hate and things we love. The best advice I can offer is to stay in the light if that's where you like being. Cause those on here that dwell in the dark arm pits of this forum like the stink and ain't interested in deodorant.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    People really need to have more empathy.
    As of earlier this morning there was one on the first page.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    So answer it then.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,230
    Options
    I’m sorry that I had to get some work done this morning. I’ll jump right on it. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I’m not getting into people’s feelings and the other hoopla, but to say that a question asked on this forum doesn’t get answered is simply not true. 
    I think you will understand people better if you try to understand their feelings and point of view, as we try to understand yours.