Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Options

Comments

• BGEChicago
    Options
    Those are beauties for sure , since were talking watches, I'm partial to these guys;
    Navitimer 1 B04 Chronograph GMT 48 - AB044121BD24453A
    I have a Navitimer and an Emergency, but I'd like to get a pocket watch, my grandfather always had one..
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Complications are always sweet

An interesting factoid about wristies though (and I don't have any good ones) is that the truly rare and expensive ones don't look expensive. 

Most Rollies scream "I'm a Rolex!"

But a Patek tourbillion looks like a simple wristwatch. 

If someone knows what they're looking at, they can tell. But a mugger would be more interested in their iPhone. 
  • st¡ke
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I know a guy that dropped out on an auction for a fairly famous watch when it went over a million. 

He said he "couldn't afford it"

I was out of the bidding at $100

some people just have cash. I do not. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    Have a 1910 14k Hamilton in the original box if you want it. HMU

You have my undivided attention my friend. I would love to lay eyes on it. Any chance that you would post, PM, email or text a pic of it?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    The balance wheel on the desperado is solid. Non starter. 
    Is that ^^^^^^^ good or bad? I know nothing about pocket watches other than I am fascinated with them.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Legume said:
    Now we’re all going to be buying watches.
    Some of my money has definitely been drifting in that direction. I have really became fond of old Hamilton, Illinois and Elgin Rail Road pocket watches. Seems like I get a new addition every month or so. For a second, I considered selling a vintage R41 to help fund a Hamilton. However the thought was very short lived. 

Status- Standing by.

• st¡ke
    edited December 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    st¡ke said:
    The balance wheel on the desperado is solid. Non starter. 
    Is that ^^^^^^^ good or bad? I know nothing about pocket watches other than I am fascinated with them.  
    Ah. I would be willing to sell. But I wouldn't talk anyone into anything. 

it is just like razors. There are incredibly esoteric differences that mean a whole lot. 

And not in the way it looks, but how it performs

it's like a Mercedes. Some of them look like they cost $120k, but they are leased models starting at bargain prices

meanwhile the $250k model doesn't turn heads. But it has a *lot* of sh!t going on under the hood. 

Pocket watches have lost a lot of value, one because everybody today already has a pocket watch (phone), and two, most watch collectors are people who want to let everone know they own an expensive watch

pocket watch collectors appreciate watches tho. 

Fun fact. The swiss watch industry got started because they copied and made cheap versions of American railroad watches. Still the finest watches ever made

when i was collecting, a Ball 21j railroad grade pocket watch would run $5k

now?

maybe $500

no appreciation 

but that watch would outperform any rolex today. Except it's running 125 years too slow. ...to the second 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    I know nothing of watches Scottie, except that my wife gifted me a Hamilton once when she worked the watch counter at Nordstrom.  That was almost 25 years ago and I loved that watch right up until I fished the pieces of it out of the clothes dryer after forgetting it was in my pants pocket.  That wasn’t a good day for me.
  • st¡ke
    Options
    Legume said:
    I know nothing of watches Scottie, except that my wife gifted me a Hamilton once when she worked the watch counter at Nordstrom.  That was almost 25 years ago and I loved that watch right up until I fished the pieces of it out of the clothes dryer after forgetting it was in my pants pocket.  That wasn’t a good day for me.
    Ow ow ow
  • SGH
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    Collected watches for many years. Pockets. 

With the above said, I have a question that you may can answer. I have been trying to acquire a Hamilton 992 for months. However the pricing is all over the board from a few hundred bucks to several thousand dollars. The watches are all the 992 model. What makes some worth hundreds and some worth thousands? I know that condition plays a big part, but most all of the watches are listed in “good” to “excellent” condition. Why the big price difference in the same model? Any info is greatly appreciated. 

Status- Standing by.

• st¡ke
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The 992 is a very famous (rightly so) model. 

Sometimes it can be a case (no pun intended) of the case itself being valuable.

An open face (no cover) case, in 12k filled (basically plated) gold vs a 14k or 18k hunter (a case with a cover over the dial) can be a factor
    of 10 or 20

But the 992 became a standard, and that means in the sense that others are judged by. 

They made the 992 in many grades. Over many years. Some collectors will pay a premium for the EARLIEST model, in the HIGHEST grade (lever set, 23+j, damascened [decorative] movement etc etc).  Some of these had faceted diamond end stones (think hubcaps) on the escape wheel bearings. Very showy. 

So the best thing if you want a 992 is to set a price and stick to it

My Q would be "why a 992"?  If your grandfather were a conductor (factoid: a conductor actually. Is in charge of and *runs* the train, an engineer merely makes it go), I'd ask if you knew what grade 992 he had.

if it's because you heard that it's the quintessential high grade American rail road pocket, i'd just ask you to set a budget. There's always one somewhere at your budget level 

funny thing is a TRUE railroad watch looks simple 

a conductor was required to own one. And they were equivalent to buying a car. So the best watch movements are often foubd in the cheapest case. 

No hunter cased watch (the big fancy covered watches) qualified as a railroad watch. 

Performance, not appearance

coincidentally, that was my motto in college 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    Legume said:
    Crap.  Now we’re all going to be buying watches.
    No worries; I'll hook you up with my watch guy. Won't cost as much as you think...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    Options
    A couple more wallets arrived today. 

Status- Standing by.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    Suddenly feeling inadequate as I have only had one wallet for the past 20 years.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Suddenly feeling inadequate as I have only had one wallet for the past 20 years.
    Don’t feel inadequate brother Heavy. Until today I used this old wallet since 1990. I’m finally retiring it before it falls totally apart. It was a gift from my late grandmother. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    A couple more wallets arrived today. 

Is that brass button where the chain attaches?
    Options

Options
    Is that brass button where the chain attaches?
    No sir. No chain attaches to it. 

Status- Standing by.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I'm about to buy a new Subaru outback. Makes the most sense 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Great AWD system. That’s instead of the 4Runner right?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Image result for taylormade spider tour 7 chrome putter with sightline
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,526
    Options
    @SGH- the truth is slowly coming forward-more wallets means more $$.  Your only way to the poor-house is to buy your Caribbean Island.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH- the truth is slowly coming forward-more wallets means more $$.  Your only way to the poor-house is to buy your Caribbean Island.  =)
    Let me share the real truth brother Cap. I’m surrounding myself with empty wallets for a reason. I sit and stare at them endlessly fantasizing about what it would be like if they was full of money. I have been hanging out on this forum with all the millionaires for years. Just trying to experience what all these high rollers have. Even if it’s only in my mind =)
    I know that I will never have their money. But it doesn’t hope to dream👍

Status- Standing by.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Great AWD system. That’s instead of the 4Runner right?
    Yes, instead of the Toyota. Really want it, doesn't make the most sense for us. Plus 0 percent right now with Subaru. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• st¡ke
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Image result for taylormade spider tour 7 chrome putter with sightline
    The fact that that thing is still technically a "putter" is ridiculous. 

Sam Snead is rolling over in his grave

Is that the Al Czervik model?

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Got one myself. Love it!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Boy does a little bit of that stuff go a long way.  Package said for every cup of liquid add 1/4 teaspoon, so I did.  My balsamic vinaigrette turned into balsamic gravy real quick.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Makes perfect sense.  Scottie keeps his wallet 28 years and then replaces it with three wallets.

I think Carey might be trying to slow down the river or plug the sewer.