Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• Bimmer?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    BobDanger said:
    Eoin said:
    Collected today, a slightly damp ride home.

That pretty sweet, have never seen one before, who makes it? I have a DRZ400SM that I bought in 2016.
    Honda Africa Twin Adventure.  Super Motos are cool, I also have a Husqvarna TE630 currently on 17" Super Moto wheels, lots of fun, as I guess your DRZ is.
  • WOW...enjoy...it looks great.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • I wish I had the disposable income that most of you schmucks seem to have. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    Sweet-looking ride, @Eoin!  Is that your VW Bus in the background?  (I had a '77, really wish I still had it)

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Eoin
    @Botch Yes, '72 Westfalia.

@TEXASBGE2018 I jumped ship from paid employment in 2001 and started a business. You need to make money for yourself, not for someone else, then after maybe 10 or 15 years of slog you get the disposable income.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    edited December 2018
    2 pairs of Muck boots yesterday - low ankle and high ankle.

Got the Yoder Kingman on hold for now until the rainy season has passed. 

Put new seats on the old early '90s Gator. Thinking real hard about getting a new one with a 2nd row backseat. The Honda Pioneers look real nice too, but I'm thinking the John Deere makes more sense around the farm. Staying away from the Polaris dealer as I've heard they're the Kamado Joe of the ATV world. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Eoin said:

@TEXASBGE2018 I jumped ship from paid employment in 2001 and started a business. You need to make money for yourself, not for someone else, then after maybe 10 or 15 years of slog you get the disposable income.

That sounds like a blast. Bust my butt for 10-15 years without paying myself a salary and maybe be one of the 10% of small businesses that actually succeed. I prefer the easier method. Lottery Wins. Either that or donating blood....

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Eoin
    Eoin said:

That sounds like a blast. Bust my butt for 10-15 years without paying myself a salary and maybe be one of the 10% of small businesses that actually succeed. I prefer the easier method. Lottery Wins. Either that or donating blood....
    Are the stats that bad? 
  •  Not that I know of, just get out of bed and answer your phone seems to be all it takes. I have been self employed since 04
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

Are the stats that bad? 

I have no idea. I was mostly just being a smart a$$

• Eoin
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

Are the stats that bad? 

I have no idea. I was mostly just being a smart a$$
    33% make it to 10 years and 25% to 15 years. Not sure if this includes dotcom pipe dream type businesses. Anyway, do what @alaskanassasin says and actually pay attention to the business and you're probably in the top 25% by default. No more working for The Man either. Win-win.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,689
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

Are the stats that bad? 
    I dunno. I started my own business a year and a half ago and I never want to go back. The amount of time I’ve blown in the corporate world on non productive stuff is tremendous. Pointless meeting, half azz corporate initiatives. 

One of the things that finally made me decide to take the leap was Shark Tank. If those half wit morons can start up wildly successful businesses, surely I could do it too. 
  •  That sure is Purdy!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

•  Yep, there are so many small businesses that are successful in spite of themselves. You call one or leave their store thinking man that guys a idiot! I could do so much better!
     Well you can

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I guess my biggest concern would be having enough capital to start it up and then support my family during that initial phase. I don't like owing anyone anything so I would have to have cash on hand. Plus any ideas for a business that I have would probably take a while to grow simply because of the type of business they would be. So in the mean time I would have to continue my decent paying day job. I've got a few ideas but just have never taken the leap.

•  Start a side gig, with cash, grow slow, one day you will go full time
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    KennyCJR said:
    Went for Rockwood and ended up getting this...

I know I could likely find it a bit cheaper, but being local with free delivery and setup, it made sense to me. 
    Congrats-Love mine. You think you’ll never go bigger but you can run out of room really quick on a large even with an AR when the family comes and now you get another temp zone for sides etc.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
     Start a side gig, with cash, grow slow, one day you will go full time
    Start and LLC or something and borrow money.

• Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Eoin
    I guess my biggest concern would be having enough capital to start it up and then support my family during that initial phase. I don't like owing anyone anything so I would have to have cash on hand. Plus any ideas for a business that I have would probably take a while to grow simply because of the type of business they would be. So in the mean time I would have to continue my decent paying day job. I've got a few ideas but just have never taken the leap.
    I just left my job and started. At the time we had maybe £50k capital in the house, so the back up plan was to sell the house if it all went wrong. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

Are the stats that bad? 
    I dunno. I started my own business a year and a half ago and I never want to go back. The amount of time I’ve blown in the corporate world on non productive stuff is tremendous. Pointless meeting, half azz corporate initiatives. 

One of the things that finally made me decide to take the leap was Shark Tank. If those half wit morons can start up wildly successful businesses, surely I could do it too. 
    Most people in business are really unproductive. Even when just self employed, the answer to earning more can be as simple as doing more with your time / not wasting time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,689
    edited December 2018
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

Are the stats that bad? 

Most people in business are really unproductive. Even when just self employed, the answer to earning more can be as simple as doing more with your time / not wasting time.
    Totally agree. There are so many levels of middle management fat at larger companies. Sometimes I think variable compensation was based upon emails sent and PowerPoints produced. I found that helping your direct reports become more productive with their time and getting out of their way were the keys to success. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    DoubleEgger said:
    There are so many levels of middle management fat at larger companies. Sometimes I think variable compensation was based upon emails sent and PowerPoints produced. 
    Heh, and you're talking about "for-profit" companies, you should see how bad it is in the guv'mint.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Eoin
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

Are the stats that bad? 

Totally agree. There are so many levels of middle management fat at larger companies. Sometimes I think variable compensation was based upon emails sent and PowerPoints produced. I found that helping your direct reports become more productive with their time and getting out of their way were the keys to success. 
    I hate managing people, it's reflected in my employees. They are all self sufficient people who know their jobs and get on with it. We all talk a lot, but about specific things and informally. We never have group / formal meetings. If you have the luxury of starting with a clean slate, you can take the right people on from the start. As you say, get out of their way and they will be productive.