Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT**The Unofficially Official Pizza Thread**OT

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Cheese for kids 
    Sausage Pepperoni and basil for SWMBO and I

I cook in the oven at 500 and have a hard time getting a dark crust.
    Probably just not cooking it long enough.  How long at 500?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Cheese for kids 

Probably about 8 minutes. I honestly don’t really time it. More just by smell and visually. The crust tastes done. I’m afraid usually to go longer because the cheese would burn I would think.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Cheese for kids 

Probably about 8 minutes. I honestly don’t really time it. More just by smell and visually. The crust tastes done. I’m afraid usually to go longer because the cheese would burn I would think.
    That’s about right, but a few more might do it.  It might also be the dough.  
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options

Cooked my first pie on the Ardore.  Really please how it turned out.  
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    1WVU said:

Homerun!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    @1WVU Nice!  Care to share your setup as to tile temp, flame control setting, cook time? How was the bottom?

Re your earlier question about propane bottle consumption rate ... I think an empty bottle weighs about 400g, filled bottle about 800-825g, by weighing it before and after a cook you'll get a rough idea of consumption rate. However, I'm also guessing the first 100g of a new bottle is more efficient than the last 100g of a nearly empty bottle, not sue if that makes sense.
    canuckland
  • 1WVU
    Options
    @1WVU Nice!  Care to share your setup as to tile temp, flame control setting, cook time? How was the bottom?

Re your earlier question about propane bottle consumption rate ... I think an empty bottle weighs about 400g, filled bottle about 800-825g, by weighing it before and after a cook you'll get a rough idea of consumption rate. However, I'm also guessing the first 100g of a new bottle is more efficient than the last 100g of a nearly empty bottle, not sue if that makes sense.
    @c@Canugghead left side was burning hotter than right; left side of tile was around 850F and right was around 800F.  Preheated for approximately 35 minutes.  I have the standard tiles.  Bottom of pie had nice leaparding and was soft.  Next cook I’ll take more pictures. 
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    1WVU said:

Can you tell us about the dough? Looks great!

• 1WVU
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    1WVU said:

Thanks to @j@JohnInCarolina who directed me to Ken Forkish “The Elements of Pizza” book.  Dough recipe is the recipe he recommends for neopolitan pizza from his book; basically 00 flour, 65% hydration, fine sea salt and dried instant yeast (don’t recall % of the top of my head).  2 hr dough proof, form into balls, then 6 hr 2nd fermentation.  
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    1WVU said:
    ColtsFan said:
    1WVU said:

Thanks to @j@JohnInCarolina who directed me to Ken Forkish “The Elements of Pizza” book.  Dough recipe is the recipe he recommends for neopolitan pizza from his book; basically 00 flour, 65% hydration, fine sea salt and dried instant yeast (don’t recall % of the top of my head).  2 hr dough proof, form into balls, then 6 hr 2nd fermentation.  
    Awesome Thanks! Book ordered! I've seen where JIC has referenced it a few times 

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    NDG said:
    NY style last night using 24 hr SD dough, my 2.5 yr old girl LOVES helping . . eating too !!

@ngd That's one gorgeous pizza and the chipmunk cheeks on the little ones are precious.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    1WVU said:
    ColtsFan said:
    1WVU said:

It's a great book.  And @DMW is actually the person who put me onto it, so credit where it's due.

The book has a ton of dough recipes, and more than a few recipes for pizza sauce, topping combos, etc.  It's one of the better (and more heavily used) books on my shelf.  
  • 1WVU
    edited December 2018
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    1WVU said:
    ColtsFan said:
    1WVU said:

One note:  recipes in his book are basically 70% hydration because his recipes are intended to be cooked in a home oven.  I adjusted to 65% hydration.

he also has some YouTube videos that show techniques he describes in the book.  Highly recommend
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @smokingal thanks!  we do pizza often - my girl knows the routine . . she plops dough out of tupperware containers into flour, dips her hands in flour, and starts to open the dough ball!  Tops with fresh motz & provolone before bake, Then evoo & aged parm after bake.  Pizza Snob she will be !!    
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    @1WVU nice pie !!  If you want your motz to brown, try pulling it out of fridge few hours before, ripping into size, then light press between paper towels until you are ready to top.  Someone told me this tip and now I get less water & more browning!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Leopoldstoch
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    1WVU said:
    ColtsFan said:
    1WVU said:
    ColtsFan said:
    1WVU said:

One note:  recipes in his book are basically 70% hydration because his recipes are intended to be cooked in a home oven.  I adjusted to 65% hydration.

he also has some YouTube videos that show techniques he describes in the book.  Highly recommend
    I tend to go lower, like 62 or 60.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Is there any sugar in the dough? If you're using a home oven, adding sugar in the dough will make it brown or char a bit as the sugar caramelizes during the cook. 

Adding more sugar may change the fermentation time though, since the yeasties will have more food. 

I'd kill those pies, BTW :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    caliking said:

Is there any sugar in the dough? If you're using a home oven, adding sugar in the dough will make it brown or char a bit as the sugar caramelizes during the cook. 

Adding more sugar may change the fermentation time though, since the yeasties will have more food. 

No sugar. I am thinking about adding some for this Friday’s pies. How much would I need to add? I am currently using about 75% hydration. I’m gonna try bumping it down to about 65-70% this week. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited December 2018
    Options
    caliking said:

No sugar. I am thinking about adding some for this Friday’s pies. How much would I need to add? I am currently using about 75% hydration. I’m gonna try bumping it down to about 65-70% this week. 
    Try 1 TBSP of sugar per 500g of flour to start with.

Are you using 00 flour?  If yes, then don't bother with it when baking your pies indoors. A mix of AP + bread flour works well. The 00 really shines at higher temps. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    @1WVU Thanks, from what I read, stock tiles are easier to produce bottom browning than Saputo. I guess with compact ovens it's hard to get even heat across the bottom or top, hence the need for rotating.
    canuckland
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Are you using 00 flour?  If yes, then don't bother with it when baking your pies indoors. A mix of AP + bread flour works well. The 00 really shines at higher temps. 
    No I’m just using regular Unbleached AP

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

No I’m just using regular Unbleached AP
    Caputo (and probably several others) makes a Tipo 00 flour that works best at temps ranging from 500-600F.  It's what I use.
    http://caputoflour.com/portfolio_item/00-chef-flour
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
     So there is no benefit to using Tipo in the oven at 450?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
     So there is no benefit to using Tipo in the oven at 450?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NDG
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @alaskanassasin no your tipo 00 will not brown at 450.

I only use 100% tipo 00 on the blackstone if cooking at above 800F and if you want that pure tender floppy neapolitan crust  . . . good but my Go-To is a blend of this and NY foldable style . . . after exploring my fav is 60% tipo 00 flour and 40% K.A. bread flour, cooked at around 750F . . . for me this is best combo of chew, crunch, tenderness.

Fun to experiment.
    Columbus, OH

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Where do you all buy your Caputo Flour? I pay about $2.00 for a 5lb bag of Unbleached AP flour at Kroger, The pricing I am seeing is all over the place for this stuff. 8Lb's of that "00" flour is $21.00 on Amazon. So I am paying 6X the cost per lb. I make 2  12" pizzas every Friday and I have a feeling I would run through 8lbs of flour in about 3 weeks. I buy a 5lb bag every couple weeks now. I like the idea of darker crusts for the aesthetics but is it really worth 6x the cost?

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Where do you all buy your Caputo Flour? I pay about $2.00 for a 5lb bag of Unbleached AP flour at Kroger, The pricing I am seeing is all over the place for this stuff. 8Lb's of that "00" flour is $21.00 on Amazon. So I am paying 6X the cost per lb. I make 2  12" pizzas every Friday and I have a feeling I would run through 8lbs of flour in about 3 weeks. I buy a 5lb bag every couple weeks now. I like the idea of darker crusts for the aesthetics but is it really worth 6x the cost?
    I buy it on Amazon.  It's easy and I have Prime, so... 

And the answer to your question is: you won't know if it's worth it to you until you try it.  For me, I have found that it makes a huge difference.  It is quite a bit more than aesthetics.  

I recommend the Caputo blue, but at the lower temps you'll be using in your oven, the red should also be fine.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2018
    Options

Would it be sacrilege to use both the "00" red and my Unbleached AP in a recipe? I am partial to a New York Style crust and several of the recipes I've seen calls for a mix of the 2? 

Would this one work?