Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Carb Recipes: Post 'Em Here!

Options

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Sous Vide Chicken Breast over Cauliflower Puree with Tarragon Mustard White Wine Sauce

Chicken: Dry brined for 4 hours, rinsed and coated with our cracked pepper blend. Hard seared on a ripping-hot,  dome-open BGE for 45 seconds a side then Sous Vide @ 147 for 2 hours

Cauliflower Puree: (have no idea how she does it and she's not here at the moment). Google it. 

• Mustard Tarragon Sauce
    • · 1 TBSP Butter
    • · 1 TBSP Coarse Grain Dijon Mustard
    • · ½ Cup White Wine
    • · 1 Cup Chicken Broth
    • · ¼ Cup Half and Half
    • · 1tsp fresh Tarragon
    • · Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Place butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
    2. When butter is foamy, add dijon mustard and wine. Reduce by half (approximately ¼ cup).
    3. Add chicken broth, lower heat to medium, and reduce to ½ cup.
    4. Add Half and Half. Reduce until thickened. Add tarragon, salt and pepper. Serve immediately

What is the consistency of the cauliflower? Creamy mashed potatoes? Grits? Looks amazing 
    Las Vegas, NV

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sous Vide Chicken Breast over Cauliflower Puree with Tarragon Mustard White Wine Sauce

Chicken: Dry brined for 4 hours, rinsed and coated with our cracked pepper blend. Hard seared on a ripping-hot,  dome-open BGE for 45 seconds a side then Sous Vide @ 147 for 2 hours

Cauliflower Puree: (have no idea how she does it and she's not here at the moment). Google it. 

• Mustard Tarragon Sauce
    • · 1 TBSP Butter
    • · 1 TBSP Coarse Grain Dijon Mustard
    • · ½ Cup White Wine
    • · 1 Cup Chicken Broth
    • · ¼ Cup Half and Half
    • · 1tsp fresh Tarragon
    • · Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Place butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
    2. When butter is foamy, add dijon mustard and wine. Reduce by half (approximately ¼ cup).
    3. Add chicken broth, lower heat to medium, and reduce to ½ cup.
    4. Add Half and Half. Reduce until thickened. Add tarragon, salt and pepper. Serve immediately

What is the consistency of the cauliflower? Creamy mashed potatoes? Grits? Looks amazing 
    Creamy purée. Very silky, no lumps. I’ll post it when I can get her to slow down. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I broke down and joined the world of instant pot owners. For the break in cook I went with the Keto Crack Chicken and I basically followed the Keto Queen recipe (except I quadrupled the amount of bacon). 

I ran into the “burn” issues described on their website. I ended up having to take everything out, scrape and wash the pot and start again. My recommendation would be to cook the bacon in a skillet and not sauté the bacon in the pan. 

We have three kids in a soccer tournament this weekend and this delay threw off the timing. So the wife and I will eat when she returns with our middle child. Therefore the pic is a little rough as it’s pre-serving.  The two other kids really liked the meal. I topped some Gemelli pasta with the mixture for their dinner. The wife and I are going to use Costco’s cauliflower rice as the base. 

Terrible pic in the pot and recipe below.  

Ingredients
    • 2 slices bacon, chopped
    • 2 lbs (910 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    • 2 (8 oz/227 g) blocks cream cheese
    • ½ cup (120 ml) water
    • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon dried chives
    • 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
    • 1½ teaspoons onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1 teaspoon dried dill
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    • ½ cup (2 oz/57 g) shredded cheddar
    • 1 scallion, green and white parts, thinly sliced
    Instructions
    1. Turn pressure cooker on, press “Sauté”, and wait 2 minutes for the pot to heat up. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crispy. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Press “Cancel” to stop sautéing. (See Note.)
    2. Add the chicken, cream cheese, water, vinegar, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, dill, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Turn the pot on Manual, High Pressure for 15 minutes and then do a quick release.
    3. Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a large plate, shred it with 2 forks, and return it back to the pot.
    4. Stir in the cheddar cheese.
    5. Top with the crispy bacon and scallion, and serve.
    Greensboro, NC
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I purchased all 3 of Mark Sisson’s Keto Reset Cookbooks. One is strictly Instant Pot Recipes - everyone I’ve tried is great. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker. Nice setup on the Rig!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker. Nice setup on the Rig!
    It’s my go-to for burgers and fajitas 
  • Hntrss
    Hntrss Posts: 16
    Options
    Just wondering , did you smoke them, then sear?  Or all at once on the griddle?  Do you have a model number for that griddle by the way?  Looks awesome!
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Hntrss said:
    Just wondering , did you smoke them, then sear?  Or all at once on the griddle?  Do you have a model number for that griddle by the way?  Looks awesome!
    https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Reversible-Griddle-Combo-Double-Sided/dp/B002CMLTXG/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1542024498&sr=1-5&keywords=lodge+griddle

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I do this 90 second bread a lot when I want some bread or bun.  

https://youtu.be/EkX33pnu7ZQ
    cooked some of this bread over the weekend, came out perfect. did a fried bologna sandwhich with it, took my back to the good old days.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hntrss said:
    smoked indirect at 250 then bumped the temp and added the griddle to sear. You could use the griddle as the stone if you wanted to but I just used my standard Adjustable Rig setup and the switched the stone for the griddle for the sear. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hntrss said:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Reversible-Griddle-Combo-Double-Sided/dp/B002CMLTXG/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1542024498&sr=1-5&keywords=lodge+griddle

that is the one. that's a great price too. 
  • Kent8621
    Options
    i did a pickle juice brined, pork rind fried chicken tenders this weekend, tossed them in buffalo sauce, it was awesome like chic fil a at home.

Boiler Up!!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Kent8621 do you have a way to get pickle juice or do you just dump it out of the jars? My wife was asking about doing a similar flavor to Chick Fil A chicken the other night.

We are officially back on the wagon with low carb so this week is gonna be an adjustment. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Kent8621
    Options
    the kids like pickles in their lunch so we go through several and a great easy keto lunch is cream cheese spread on ham wrapped around a pickle, but yes we just dumped it from jars and over a the past few weeks and then soaked the chicken in it.  i did it for 6 hours and it really drew out the pickle taste in the chicken, if you dont want a stronger taste less time would work i think.  i did use some chicken tenders (they were on sale at sprouts) i might recomend a better cut next time, despite there name they were not very tender.  i also had some issues with the pork rind skin coming off when frying, so i need to tweek that also.

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit can i get that cauliflower pizza crust recipe and how you wrapped them for the freezer?

Boiler Up!!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    @Killit_and_Grillit can i get that cauliflower pizza crust recipe and how you wrapped them for the freezer?
    @Kent8621 they are almond flour and mozzarella (standard Keto almond flour crust)

i bought 2 1/2 gallon ziplocks and layered them with the parchment paper I cooked them on. I usually cook them in the oven and make them 8-10 at a time. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/fat-head-pizza

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Kent8621
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    @Kent8621 they are almond flour and mozzarella (standard Keto almond flour crust)

i bought 2 1/2 gallon ziplocks and layered them with the parchment paper I cooked them on. I usually cook them in the oven and make them 8-10 at a time. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/fat-head-pizza
    thank you sir, that mexican chicken soup is on the menu for this week also.  

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621
    Options
    i had been craving some jalapeno poppers and my in-laws do junk food feast for Christmas Eve so i wanted to practice something anyway.  block cheddar, pickled jalapeno with an egg wash and into crushed pork rinds, came out really good i will be doing these again.  this weekend i am practicing with fried pickles.  

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621
    Options
    i did some zucchini chip nachos and keto cheese cake this weekend.  highly recommend.  

Boiler Up!!

• Dave in Florida
    Options

Low carb Strawberry Cheese cake 

Add to large mixing bowl: 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese softened,  Soften cream cheese a little by putting both packs of cream cheese on a safe dish or plate in the oven or microwave. Then heat in microwave for 15 seconds, or heat in oven at 300 F for 1 minute or until soft.*Do not melt.*

1 tsp lemon extract, ½ tsp vanilla extract. Beat with electric mixer on medium for about a couple minutes or until creamy and mixed. Set aside.

In a medium size glass or ceramic mixing bowl combine: ½ cup stevia sweetener and 1 envelope gelatin. Stir together.

Add ¾ cup boiling water to sweetener and gelatin mixture and stir thoroughly.

Slowly add a little of the water gelatin mixture at a time to the cream cheese mixture and beat in with electric mixer on medium. Continue to add more and mix in.

Once gelatin mixture is completely added and mixed into cream cheese mixture, add 3 ½ tbsp. raspberry or strawberry jam to the cream cheese gelatin mixture and lightly beat in with electric mixer on low for only a few seconds. *Don’t beat in thoroughly, lightly swirled is good.*

Spoon equal amounts of mixture into 12 silicone muffin cups or cupcake paper container that are lining a muffin pan, or spoon all of mixture into a greased spring form pan.

Refrigerate for 3 hours, then freeze for 20 to 30 minutes (this helps for easier removal of the cheesecake bites from the cups) * don’t leave in freezer longer as you don’t want them frozen.

Remove from silicone cups by slowly peeling back the baking cups until the baking cup is inside out. If using a spring form pan, then just remove the outer pan sides and slice and serve.

Store unused portions in the fridge, and can always freeze a little before serving again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Making my grocery list after clearing out all the Christmas sugar and junk. 

Figured I would get on here and steal some recipes. Probably not the only one this week so I’ll give it a bump. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Kent8621
    Options
    somehow we stuck with the diet through all of the holidays.  we made a keto pie that came out fantastic i will get the recipe and post it.  

Boiler Up!!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @The_Stache was asking about this one so I’ll leave it here. 

Ratatouille with ground Italian sausage

1/2 lb of Italian sausage
    1 cup of low carb marinara sauce 
    2 cloves garlic
    1 eggplant 
    1 squash
    1 zucchini 
    4 Roma tomatoes
    basil, salt, pepper, olive oil

Sear 1/2 a lb of Italian sausage. Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic. Use a low carb spaghetti/marinara sauce(maybe a cup...I used Rao’s) and pour on top with some basil. 

Slice thin (I used a mandolin cause I like my fingers) an eggplant, zucchini, squash, and a couple Roma tomatoes. Stack them in about 4 inch stacks and start circling around your pan.  Rough chop whatever you have left and toss in the center to change texture. Add salt, pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle mozzarella. Wrap in aluminum foil and cook indirect at 375 for 1 hour. 

Definitely doing this again. 

South of Nashville, TN

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Outstanding!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice cook.  Please someone, let Adam know I liked this.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great thread. I'm going to be trying out some of these recipes for sure. Recently diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic so trying to eliminate as much carbs as I can from my diet.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I made this spicy roast cauliflower dish a few weekends ago:

https://www.gozney.com/uk/kitchen/spicy-roast-cauliflower-recipe/

I did it in the Roccbox but I bet you could roast the cauliflower on the BGE.  The flavors are great.  That turkish spice is pretty awesome with the cauliflower - I found it on Amazon.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Low carb breakfast burritos

Sausage stuffed egg “tortillas”- my kind of breakfast.  Sorry took the pic after the first bite

Greensboro, NC