Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What bourbon?

Options
What bourbon would you prefer for a honey and soy based marinade? Liquor stores have so many, flavored smoked, spiced, blended.....

Beef is the protein 
Fort Wayne Indiana 

Comments

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    I've used maker's mark in the past for a ginger snap crusted ham, very good, just curious to what others use and maybe why.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Laegger
    Options
     JD Honey Whiskey would be good and then you can sip the rest of the bottle as it is a great Whiskey. I use it in my Pecan Pie and have a drink by my side while watching it cook inside the egg. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    makers on the shelf for cooking, too sweet for my taste to drink so its always there.  the cheapest apple or pear calvados is another option, theres more flavor for cooking in the cheaper calvados if you can find a cheap less aged one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Not sure if they still sell it, but I've used the Costco brand bourbon in the past.  Worked well.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• oldmandawg
    Options
    Woodford for drankin, don't know about cooking.
  • MasterC
    Options
    makers on the shelf for cooking, too sweet for my taste to drink so its always there.  the cheapest apple or pear calvados is another option, theres more flavor for cooking in the cheaper calvados if you can find a cheap less aged one
    Calvados look interesting. Learning is everything.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Maker's Mark hits the mark every time!!! LOVE IT!

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Just like cooking with wine only use something that you would actually drink. I like makers Mark for cooking and drinking.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I cook with what I keep in the cupboard for drinking, so it’s usually decent stuff. I don’t actually cook much with booze, I keep that for the glass.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Flashing the brown water signal for our friend @lousubcap.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I have no skill-set with brown water for cooking other than go for the lowest quality on the bottom shelf you can get.  The flavour nuances of any different brands are unique.  So, don't pay for anything that is being blended into some cooking recipe.  BTW- the cook cycle will likely burn off the true juice.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MasterC
    Options
    Normally I use tequila, The alcohol in the marinade helps some flavors absorb deeper into the meat. Not all flavors are water soluble, the achohol can bond to the water.
     Bourbon shopping in the morning.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    Makers Mark is my go to.
    Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
    210 TX
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Did a maple bourbon glaze for a ham last Easter, used Jim Beam since it was cheap and came out great.

Save the good stuff for post dinner drink. 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I'm sure you've made your choice and purchase by now, but Evan Williams is good enough to drink and cheap enough to cook with. That would be my choice for a marinade. For a glaze, maybe Makers Mark, but probably EW. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Laegger said:
     JD Honey Whiskey would be good and then you can sip the rest of the bottle as it is a great Whiskey. I use it in my Pecan Pie and have a drink by my side while watching it cook inside the egg. 
    Agree with using JD Honey, I use it to cook as I cannot appreciate it as a sipping liquor. Same goes for Crown Royal Maple.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MasterC
    Options
    I ended up purchasing woodford reserve double oaked bourbon.  
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a nice bottle of bourbon. I would only use that to marinade my insides. A marinade or sauce would get the Makers or lower. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    For a marinade? $20 a bottle or so. Sipping? The sky is the limit on price
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    MasterC said:
    I ended up purchasing woodford reserve double oaked bourbon.  
    For cooking?!?  Way too good for that.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • MasterC
    Options
    When looking at bourbons and the difference between them I was perplexed by the amount of choices. After an hour discussing various aspects like ingredients, distilling, aging and flavors I chose the Woodford. It was $29 whereas makers was $24. What intrigues me was the aging in the two different barrels. I don't mind the price, shoot I'm grilling on an egg. I did not go for their cherry wood smoked $96 bottle. 
    My question now is why people will only cook with wine they drink but don't drink the bourbon they cook with?
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That’s a great price for Woodford.  Good choice. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I’m partial to Makers Mark.  I love your thread title and used it yesterday.  Wilma was putting up the tree and I was getting egg nogs for everybody.  As I was fixing mine, Wilma walks in:
    “Are you putting bourbon in your egg nog?”

To which I replied, “What bourbon?”
    Flint, Michigan
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    Depends on how much bourbon the recipe calls for.  We have used a couple TBS of $200 a bottle bourbon in a pecan pie recipe, but would use something less expensive in a marinade. A double Oaked Woodford would be an excellent choice for a marinade and great to drink the leftovers.  With cooking, we always choose a bourbon with a more intense flavor.  Any barrel proof or double barreled bourbon will have a more intense flavor.  The sweeter flavored bourbons also have their place depending on what flavors you want in your recipe.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Makers is an excellent choice for cooking and cocktails that have other strong flavors. However you can still get good results with cheaper bourbons. 
  • MasterC
    Options
    Hopefully this  woodford  will give a little hint of smoke. I'll share my bourbon surf and turf cook with you in the near future. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    Options
    My wife wants shrimp as well now too. Who am I to argue.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    If your store is selling 5ths of Woodford Double Oak for $29 you need to go back and buy them out. 

That stuff is typically $55-60 here compared to $23 for Makers or Buffalo Trace

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN