Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Infrared Gun

Who has one?  Do you use it?   Sitting here with the wife watching the Food Network and someone used one.   The minds start spinning with all you could use this for.  I see Thermoworks has a deal today on theirs today.   Fluke makes one that is way more than I want to spend.  Dang you Amazon!...  all price points imaginable.   All seem to have decent reviews.  Is a $60 unit $40 better than the $20?   Recommendations?  Thanks in advance! 
XLBGE, SS table
McKinney, TX.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I have one and never use it. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have one. Bought from Amazon. Use it to get pizza oven floor temps. All kinds of other uses for one too
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• I have one, bought from Amazon. I find lots of uses for it, but I don't remember what prompted me to buy it initially. Probably to calibrate my Davis weather station. Good to find where you're losing heat on the gasket.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited December 2018
    Learn Emissivity , how to use the tables....otherwise a lot of IR Thermometers are just a novelty , in the sense if not used correctly they do not really give accurate readings.,..if you only use it to check a pizza stone set the Emissivity to that and your good my 2 cents

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I've had this one for a couple years.  Works well - doesn't see a lot of use, but I wouldn't be without one.

https://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Gun

Phoenix 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    blasting said:

I've had this one for a couple years.  Works well - doesn't see a lot of use, but I wouldn't be without one.

https://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Gun

One of the nicer ones , adjustable Emissivity 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Shooting stainless at the same temp as cast iron will produce an erroneous reading. See @lkapigian comment above. The $20 units work just fine on dark surfaces, light or reflective you need a better unit. I use for CI pan temp, in the 500ºF range for finish sear....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Ahhh!   Good point regarding emissivity.  Did not know that. The things you learn here!  Awesome.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • blasting

Emissivity...of course - that's why I bought this model

....lol - had to click my own link to find out what emissivity was.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    you need to know the emissivity like others had said...IF you want to know the exact temp.  However if you learn a reading on a material gives you good results for, say, blackened redfish, that's useful information.   

They are great for relative readings.  Anyway, I have a few of them, mostly cheap.  My nicest is a Dewalt 
    DCT414S1
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I got a cheap Amazon lightning deal one. I use it all the time. Check the cast iron temp and frying oil temp are the main uses. It's a lot faster checking oil temp than a thermapen is. I'm not worried about the true exact temp. As long as I am close, and repeatable, then that's good enough. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Things to consider when deciding which one to get:  emissivity and ability to change, range (some are designed to shoot from longer distances and are not so good from close up), temp range (some cannot get you pizza stone temps), accuracy (especially at higher temps) and size (there are some compact ones that fit in drawers better than the bigger pistol grip models).

Lots to choose from.  Thermoworks has a dozen models to choose from.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've had a lower end Thermoworks IR gun for maybe 10 years. Doesn't appear they sell anything so simple any more. It still proves useful. A few months ago I noticed things not cooking right in my kitchen oven. After several uses of the gun, I was able to confirm the oven temp sensor must have been failing, cause reported preheat temps were some times more than 100F too low.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited December 2018

Used one in my line of work for years. Really good for finding engine miss fires and cool spots on radiators thus proving restrictions. Bought my first one from Fluke in 94. As pointed out , you need to understand how they work. 
    Don't use them for work anymore but handy for my grills.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Angle of surface capture is also significant when determining correct temp calcs.
    As others have initiated in previous submissions, if you have it dialed in for your use in the determination of whether or not your bratwurst is where you prefer them to be, it is a solid tool for that data.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    This is yet another example of how much more money I’d have if I didn’t listen to the forum during the first couple years I was here. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    good for finding problems like cold or hot spots in various heating/cooling situations. not accurate for cooking. use one at work but have zero need to use it in the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I like this one for $18.  I really just bought it to check the temp of the pizza stone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013X0NQT0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    XL BGE 
    Saints fan stuck in Dallas
  • MCRyan
    Thabkd for everyone’s feedback!  

@rtgurley  Bingo!  That unit seems to have everything at a great sale price.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • I've got this one, on sale right now for $69.00.  Use it for my pizza oven.

DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I got one of these instead and use it ALL the time. Moving from a gas range to an electric to a propane to a griddle in the course of a day it helps me get my starting temp right on anything from a griddle to skillet.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Surface-Thermapen
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    I got one of these instead and use it ALL the time. Moving from a gas range to an electric to a propane to a griddle in the course of a day it helps me get my starting temp right on anything from a griddle to skillet.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Surface-Thermapen

I see how that would be of use with the Blackstone - I now want one.  IR still needed for a pizza oven though.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    As has already been mentioned, finding the proper emissivity setting for whatever surface you are measuring is all important if one is really trying to get a fairly accurate temp reading.
    For instance, I just happened to be running the first fire for my Ardore pizza oven at the moment and I wanted to track the temp over time at the lowest regulator setting today. I am using my Fireboard with a probe tip set right in the center of the oven floor. It was indicating the floor temp was 315°F-ish. I grabbed one of my IR guns and read the same spot and the IR thermo was indicating a floor temp of 358°F. So...is a 40°F difference important? Which one is right? I'll go with the Fireboard probe myself.
    I've got a Type K surface reading probe I can use with my old Thermoworks TW8060 perhaps I'll dig that out of the deck box and add another (potentially confusing) data point to the mix. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    It can get above the burning point for pine wood whatever that temp is. 
  • MCRyan
    @HeavyG So, do you make the adjustment for emissivity up or down on the gun (some are probably different than others) according to whatever the material is?  I know Thermoworks has a table outlining this.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I've got a simple ThermoWorks version.  For what I've used it for (after 10 minutes of playing) wish I'd bought the $20 Harbour Freight version.
    However, the built-in laser pointer would've been worth the whole cost, had I a cat or dog...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    MCRyan said:
    @HeavyG So, do you make the adjustment for emissivity up or down on the gun (some are probably different than others) according to whatever the material is?  I know Thermoworks has a table outlining this.  
    For my purposes an exact temperature isn't that important so I've never bothered trying to dial one in. My interest has mainly just been temp variations not an exact temp.
    But I have seen such a table as you describe and I assume that would be a good place to start. I might just make the effort to set one IR thermo so it does give me a fairly accurate reading of the floor of my new toy pizza oven.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Shooting stainless at the same temp as cast iron will produce an erroneous reading. See @lkapigian comment above. The $20 units work just fine on dark surfaces, light or reflective you need a better unit. I use for CI pan temp, in the 500ºF range for finish sear....

I agree, stainless will reflect the beam. Find a spot in the pan that has some color/ not reflective and you should get a good reading. I usually have some spot with melted butter that works good. I'm using a $20 unit and find I use it more and more to monitor my stove top cooking than my BGE.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Blues2
    Blues2 Posts: 13
    Purchased a unit from EnnoLogic  for less than $60. It has adjustment for emissivity if needed.  I use it for cooking and in the garage.