Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen vs others

is thermapen worth the money? Alternatives?
Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Not to me, I bought a Thermopop , about 1/2 to 1/3 the price. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Javelin Pro Duo...best bang for the buck...i have both that and MK4...both are awesome,
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • If you want quality but don’t want to dish out the dough for a Thermapen, I’d recommend you have a look at the Thermopop. A fraction of the price and pretty similar functionality, albeit a second or two slower. I have and love both!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I have a thermopen and it is a great addition to your  cooking arsenal. That said, I bought it when it was the only game in town.  They have since released the thermopop which I have gifted to several friends.  Now days there are the Javelin products which are every bit as good for my needs.  I have one and would readily recommend it as well.
    So, due diligence and then go-you will be well served wherever you land.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    lkapigian said:
    Javelin Pro Duo...best bang for the buck...i have both that and MK4...both are awesome,

I bought the Javelin Pro after @WeberWho posted about a great deal. I also have a Thermopen. My Thermopen wouldn't stay on so I replaced the batteries. It still needs to be opened and closed a few times to work. It worked good for about 2 years of very limited use (10 times a year).

The Javelin will auto rotate the display for easy reading, a motion sensitive back light and will store the high and low readings. So far, my thermopen will be parked in the back of the drawer as a back-up unit.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I've had my Thermapen for 8 years and haven't had any issues. It doesn't owe me a dime.

I just recently purchased Javelin Pro Duo for 1/3 the price of my Thermapen. Back lit, has a magnet, and as fast as my Thermapen. 100% agree with what @lkapigian mentions above. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I'm 1 for 2 on thermapens and I have a couple of thermapops that I rarely use (one lives at the beach condo).  Someone recently posted a massdrop for the javelin, so I'm waiting on a couple of those to arrive.
    NOLA
  • Love my thermapen mk4.  If the javelin goes on sale again I’d be willing to give it a shot. Wish I would have pulled the trigger during Black Friday/cyber Monday. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    edited December 2018
    I have the earlier thermapen version and it has worked flawlessly for several years so absolutely no complaints. Having said that, if I ever need a replacement there's enough reviews that say the Javelin is similar enough (not sure how warranty or customer service compares) that I would definitely look at picking one up at a 1/3 the price of a thermapen.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited December 2018
    Thermopen is overpriced. Pop and Pen read the same speed. I’ve tested both at the same time and the difference was negligible. Less than a second. My Thermopen is not as fast as they claim it is. I’ll be buying one of those $45 alternatives next time. 
  • Blues2
    Blues2 Posts: 13
    I bought a CDN Proaccurate.  Died after 4 months.  Replaced with Thermopen MK4.  No regrets.
  • My Thermapen and I have a special connection. You won’t be sorry. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Bought the Javelin, and gifted one. Have to say, I am impressed. I own a Thermapin, I would recommend  a Javelin to anyone looking for a quick read thermometer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have the old Thermopen, works fine after 7 yrs.  Replaced the batteries once.  Can be a little flakey now and then, but it's been abused in boiling water and dropped a billion times.  

Picked up an MK4 with the silicon sleeve and love it.
    Thermopop!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I got my Thermapen in 2007. Still works great. Back then no one else offered a comparable product.  The newcomers seem to be offering similar products, but they don't yet have the long term track record for product durability and quality service.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    im on the same batteries with 2 thermapens going on 14 years. my older one died but it was pretty abused, dropped off a deck 16 feet down into the rocks and out into the lake, melted on a simmer plate, then someone washed it, it died that day =) cant say anything about the others
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    As others have said, a cheaper alternative is the Thermopop, I have been very happy with mine!
    LBGE
    AL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I bought a Thermapen shortly after seeing Alton Brown use one, it's still working well. Thought the battery was dead so I took it out to see what to buy and when I put it back in it started working again, that was 3 years ago  I'm guessing somewhere around 16 years old. 

However, I actually like the Javelin better because it has a backlight that is brighter or more defined. But I cannot attest to it's longevity. Yet.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I bought a non-backlit Thermapen about 5 years ago. Then I bought a second one (backlit) because I liked it so much and my wife often wanted to use one at the same time. One is dead and in the landfill - after being sent back for service it only made it about a year. The other one is so hard to open that the probe bends if you're not extremely careful with it... not to mention how temperamental it is about working. Multiple open-close to get it to turn on. It was a superb tool for improving my cooks but I have found an option I like better.

I have since purchased 5-6 Javelin Pro Duo therms. I have two and have gifted the rest. I'm not quite two years in and all have performed flawlessly. I actually like the functionality and ease of use a lot more than either of my Thermapens.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Bought the thermapen mk4 to replace the draw of craptastic thermometers my wife purchased over the years. It has proven extremely accurate and she loves it. Is it pricey, yes. Would I but it again, absolutely.
    Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
    210 TX
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Thermopop, saved alot of money. May not be as fast but good enough and dang accurate
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • Javelins after a year are still working just fine. The smaller probe is now in the kitchen, the long probe Duo is for the grills. Thermapen original still works, but I have had terrible luck with the last two MK2/4(?). Threw them out, recycled as not worth the return for repair. Had a couple of the prePop small thermos from Thermoworks, very disappointed. 

I like the Javelins. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    edited December 2018
    I've not used 'instant read' thermometers in ages. Anything that I need to get a more precise reading for 'done' level gets a thermometer inserted before it starts cooking, with a display outside of where it's cooking. Usually a Polder in the kitchen and now one of these for when smoking on my BGE: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F73MFWM
    I like how it connects to my phone so I can be a decent distance from where it's sitting and know what the temperature of the meat is. I'm probably going to use it in place of my Polder next time I cook something inside that needs that level of temperature reading (either a beef roast or turkey).
    I was using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07556VKZP/ but a flare-up nuked one of the probes (the silicone 'handle' melted and messed up the probe).
    I'm also getting ready to order 4 more probes for the first one (the one that didn't get melted). More because they're available and it can have up to 6 connected. If you wanted to take readings from different spots of what you're cooking, that would be a good option. It also allows you to leave the item alone, which is always a good thing. ;)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Anything that I need to get a more precise reading for 'done' level gets a thermometer inserted before it starts cooking, with a display outside of where it's cooking. 

A good remote thermometer is a useful tool.  However, there are still plenty of uses where a "instant read" thermometer is the better tool.  A direct cook with say a couple of dozen items that have a narrow temp range is best monitored with a instant probe thermometer.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• I have the tenergy solis w/ 6 probes and Bluetooth, but instant is something I lack for checking multiple pieces quickly 
    Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
    Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 
  • Where is the best place to order two thermpens mk4
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Where is the best place to order two thermpens mk4
    https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapens?on_sale=Sale-item

20% off right now
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    lkapigian said:
    Where is the best place to order two thermpens mk4
    https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapens?on_sale=Sale-item

20% off right now
    I don't believe Thermoworks warranty any 3rd party sellers. Buying through them would be your best bet if any future issues come up
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota