Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA: Ken Onion Work Sharp Deal

Options
Because I like to spend y'alls money :) 

Amazon deal of the day $85
~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    Oh Snap !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Now that's a deal!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Thanks @ColtsFan order placed , thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker for the positive review 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    Buy extra belts if they also have those on sale. Actually, buy extra belts even if they aren't on sale.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What is frustration free packaging? The normal packaging isn’t on special. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    What is frustration free packaging? The normal packaging isn’t on special. 
    Maybe box instead of molded, sealed plastic designed to hang on peg board. I have seen them in stores this way. But just guessing.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Ordered one- thanks for the heads up
    Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Ordered this before I got out of bed this morning. Can’t wait to mess with it
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Been waiting for a deal on this  sharpener. Ordered 
    Thanks
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • BobDanger
    Options
    Thanks...just put in my order as well.

gonna finally have some sharp knives.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Dang, even cheaper at Northern Tools 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Last time I ordered a great deal from Northern that was posted on the forum, they cancelled it.  May have been the same thing then.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Legume said:
    Last time I ordered a great deal from Northern that was posted on the forum, they cancelled it.  May have been the same thing then.
    True, I OK with my Amazon order,heck ordered and shipped yesterday delivered today 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    lkapigian said:

That's an attachment for the main tool, not the one on Amazon above
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    lkapigian said:

That's an attachment for the main tool, not the one on Amazon above
    oops 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited December 2018
    Options
    CRAP, I just bought one from Amazon a week or so ago for 129 and love it.  I can't b!tch I wanted it then and not wait for Christmas, instant gratification.

Unless your a waterstone guru purist and not a wannabe like me I highly recommend it.  Worked great on my 40 year old Chicago and sure touched up my year old Shuns nicely.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I need to get mine off of the shelf and go back to using it.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I ordered one too. Coming tomorrow.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Why am I seeing the price at $138?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Why am I seeing the price at $138?
    Because it was yesterday's Deal of the day. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Don't put the coarser belts on the first time. They will eat through a knife in a hurry. Just trust me.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    For you new owners, practice on an old knife.  Easy to ruin a good one.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    THA said:
    That's my plan...although all my knives are old....whats the belt life ? I'm sure that really varies...but for average use ( my knives are 8 years only hone them and still very sharp) I can't imagine using this more than once a month or so

Impressed with the e day delivery

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    THA said:
    That's my plan...although all my knives are old....whats the belt life ? I'm sure that really varies...but for average use ( my knives are 8 years only hone them and still very sharp) I can't imagine using this more than once a month or so

Belts last forever. I have a replacement set I’ve still not opened. Think I’ve had mine 4-5 years now. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    THA said:

Once a month? I might use mine once every 6 months. Still on original belts. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Im more like once a quarter for our every day knives and once a year for secondary blades we don’t use as much. A honing iron will sharpen them up like new between freshen-ups with the WSKO. When they don’t respond to the steel, I know it’s time to reset the edge with the work sharp. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Im more like once a quarter for our every day knives and once a year for secondary blades we don’t use as much. A honing iron will sharpen them up like new between freshen-ups with the WSKO. When they don’t respond to the steel, I know it’s time to reset the edge with the work sharp. 
    I have no idea till I use it, 8 years with simple honing and they are good so anything is a bonus---Trying to watch the tutorials and they all seem a bit different--Do you use all the belts , or just 1 Go To Grit for OK blades and a different for really dull...the chart is kind of vague
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2018
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I have no idea till I use it, 8 years with simple honing and they are good so anything is a bonus---Trying to watch the tutorials and they all seem a bit different--Do you use all the belts , or just 1 Go To Grit for OK blades and a different for really dull...the chart is kind of vague
    If I am resetting the blade, I use them all. Course to light. 

If if I am sharpening a blade that isn’t shot I start with x65 + x22 then go X4 if I want it like a scalpel. Once I got a good steel, I dont have to do this very often at all anymore. The steel really hones them up nicely once you get a good edge on them. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    If I am resetting the blade, I use them all. Course to light. 

If if I am sharpening a blade that isn’t shot I start with x65 + x22 then go X4 if I want it like a scalpel. Once I got a good steel, I dont have to do this very often at all anymore. The steel really hones them up nicely once you get a good edge on them. 
    thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian