Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: wanting ideas to up my fajitas game: OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,889
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
I'd really like some suggestions for commercial fajitas seasoning. The meat I used last night was flank steak that I cut in thin strips across the grain. I have tried a couple brands, but so far no  great shakes. What wasn't pictured here were refried beans, sour cream and mozzarella. Any ideas would be appreciated! BTW the perspective of this shot is misleading as the plates were the same size and the meat had more volume than the veggies!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• BGEChicago
    Options
    I use flank for mine as well, you may laugh at my next suggestion:

I marinate my flank for a few hours they while they are in the pan I generously hit them with this:
    Fajita-ish Mexican Seasoning

Btw.... I also tenderize the flank with this:

Image result for meat tenderizer

Thanks...

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I prefer skirt, use Badia dry and wet seasoning. Veggies cook down, use more.
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was hoping I would get my point across that it wasn't the cut of beef (and IT is beef and not chicken!) but instead the seasoning and recommendations for commercial brands were welcome!
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    My favorite is fajitaish from Dizzy Pig. My technique is to use flat iron (flank is more traditional) and cook the protein whole (med rate) and then slice just before serving. I also use the fajitaish as a seasoning for the onions and bell peppers. I like to use various bell peppers to add color to the dish. I grill in a basket or brown in a sauté pan the sliced veg. It’s basically deconstructed fajitas as the ingredients are not combined until they hit the tortilla. 

I just feel the flat iron cooked whole combined with keeping the ingredients separated until service elevates a traditional dish. The meat doesn’t overcook and stay moist and tender. 

Good luck Ron. I know my tastes aren’t the same as everyone else’s, but it works for my family.  
    My favorite is fajitaish from Dizzy Pig. My technique is to use flat iron (flank is more traditional) and cook the protein whole (med rate) and then slice just before serving. I also use the fajitaish as a seasoning for the onions and bell peppers. I like to use various bell peppers to add color to the dish. I grill in a basket or brown in a sauté pan the sliced veg. It’s basically deconstructed fajitas as the ingredients are not combined until they hit the tortilla. 

I just feel the flat iron cooked whole combined with keeping the ingredients separated until service elevates a traditional dish. The meat doesn’t overcook and stay moist and tender. 

Good luck Ron. I know my tastes aren’t the same as everyone else’s, but it works for my family.  
    Do you marinate in any way before cooking? This looks interesting, I think I'll try it!~
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @BGEChicago I don’t.

The rub is top notch and combined with the natural flavor of a medium rare flat iron, it’s unbelievable. I’m sold on this technique. I know it’s not traditional but I find it way better than the traditional style. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I generally use Skirt Steak for fajitas.  Maybe you should try a different cut. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    Im certainly not a Fajita God, but this works for me. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    I have tried sirloin, skirt as well as this flank steak last night. What I am asking for are recommendations for seasoning the meat/veggies.
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    @BGEChicago I don’t.

The rub is top notch and combined with the natural flavor of a medium rare flat iron, it’s unbelievable. I’m sold on this technique. I know it’s not traditional but I find it way better than the traditional style. 
    Yeah, that is where I might be messing up, I like med to med rare and mine are well done.... overcooking and not letting the beef really shine through...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    RRP said:
    I have tried sirloin, skirt as well as this flank steak last night. What I am asking for are recommendations for seasoning the meat/veggies.
    Shut yo mouth Matt!!! Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Shut yo mouth Matt!!! Lol
    Come on, Matt...I never said THAT! 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I like flap steak with Dizzy Pig Fajita-ish. I season 24-48 hours in advance. Cook to 115 IT. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GGrillin'
    Options
    I like a combination of Dizzy Pig Fajitaish and Cow Lick.
    Gil Gowing 
    Clermont, FL
    Large BGE - MiniMax BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Even changing up the flour tortilla makes a big difference on overall flavor. I'm a fan of the tomato basil tortillas. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Cheddar cheese for us.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

That looks mighty fine my friend👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    Generally we are lazy and buy the HEB pre-marinated packages.  When we arent that lazy we generally just season Chicken or Beef (Skirt) in Italian Dressing for 4+ hours and dont add any additional seasoning.

As someone else said I am all in the adders- onions, peppers, salsa- thats what makes the Fajita.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Ron, are you cooking the meat on the Egg or a flattop?  Seeing you've cut the meat raw in the OP, I'm guessing the latter, and I would think that would change the marinade/rub equation considerably.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Mickey mentioned this stuff before and I was able to snag it when visiting my FIL in Texas. Gets me closest to the “restaurant” fajita flavor, along with splashing some soy sauce on the griddle right before finishing the meat to add some extra umami.

I try to marinate at least 12 hours. No cheese on mine, but I’d do something other than mozzarella to get more sharpness/bite.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I sprinkled this on mine right before grilling last time. Really liked the added flavor. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like to make a nice paste marinade that consist of cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, ancho chile powder, olive oil, and lime juice. 

I also us the same spices above for the veggies too. Hit them with lime at the end to bring out those flavors. 

Hit the meat with lime too. Tip, grill the lime too , flesh down .Brings out more of the juice and a chared flavor to. Nice layers. 

Cheese. Mozzarella cheese isn't for fajitas. Use Monterey jack, Colby, pepper jack, oaxoca cheese, and even some cheddar. 

We use a blender of cheeses most times of Jack and colby and or cheddar. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    You should also use at least 1/2 if not 100% poblanos for your peppers. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Marinate with SPG Lime Juice Police Oil. Diced White Onion and Cilantro....Leave meat Whole cook hot and Fast over and Open Flame...,Then Cut across grain , add more of you onion,and cilantro ...if you want the sizzling fajita get a cast iron raging hot and toss the already cooked meat on there for an additional char, drizzle with a squeeze of lime...youll thank me later

Top with whatever grilled veggies you like...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Mozzarella on fajitas?  Not even in Italy.  That is clinically insane, possibly criminal behavior.

Like @tarheelmatt I make a marinade by just throwing some ingredients together without a lot of measuring.

Avocado oil (handles high heat w/o oxidizing and much higher smoke point)
    apple cider vinegar
    coconut aminos
    worscestershire
    fish sauce
    lime juice
    garlic (at least a whole head, sliced)
    cumin (quite a bit) 
    red pepper flakes or cayenne
    ginger
    onion

put the meat and veg in a gallon ziploc and let it marry - I let it go 24 hours and then into hot cast iron.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Maybe just go to Chili's?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I like to make a nice paste marinade that consist of cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, ancho chile powder, olive oil, and lime juice. 

I also us the same spices above for the veggies too. Hit them with lime at the end to bring out those flavors. 

Hit the meat with lime too. Tip, grill the lime too , flesh down .Brings out more of the juice and a chared flavor to. Nice layers. 

Cheese. Mozzarella cheese isn't for fajitas. Use Monterey jack, Colby, pepper jack, oaxoca cheese, and even some cheddar. 

We use a blender of cheeses most times of Jack and colby and or cheddar. 
    Forgot to add to the above spices, garlic powder and onion powder. 

Spice mix would consist of: salt, pepper, garlic, onion, cumin, coriander, ancho chile powder. 

Rub that into the meat with lime juice and olive oil. Use the same spices on veggies and more on the meat while cooking. 

Also, I like to cook the meat whole, then slice. To each their own in that point. 

Did this a couple weeks ago with tacos. Same can be done for fajitas. 

https://youtu.be/EXFKA6RlSZ8
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Penzys Fajitas seasoning is pretty dang good

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe