Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Threads Being Killed

A few days ago, I posted about an easy, homemade mouse trap and labeled the title OT. I was following up this morning on a few questions asked and see the thread is being killed.

What gives? I didn't post about cruel and unusual torture of a mouse. We all grill here and rodents are something we all deal with. A lot of us like to be creative and not just buy the $100 trap that will send us a text when a mouse was killed.

I look thru other OT threads and some get killed off and others don't. I then look at the relevance of the OT threads that are not being killed and look for the connection or relevance to BGE. I'm not making the connection other than someone just doesn't like this or that.

I know I've been away for about 2 years but it's things like this that made me stay away before.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    How the buffalo makes decisions of which threads stay, sink, or go away is always mysterious.

If you can figure out an algorithm to predict his thinking, you could probably apply it elsewhere and win the lottery at the same time.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Sea2Ski said:
    How the buffalo makes decisions of which threads stay, sink, or go away is always mysterious.

If you can figure out an algorithm to predict his thinking, you could probably apply it elsewhere and win the lottery at the same time.

And that is exactly it. There are no specific rules of this one needs to be killed for breaking rule XX and this one doesn't.

I get there are some topics that need to be killed but a homemade, humane solution to mice that get into our grill areas? Seriously??

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bigguy136

I'm a bit confused. I have re-read my comments and I don't feel I came across that someone thinks I should simma down.

I am asking an obvious question that I know the answer to only for those who do squash a thread might read this and ask themselves if they are truly squashing a thread over a broken rule or personal agenda.

No anger on my side but it does add frustration at times and could be a reason some people move on.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    bigguy136 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

And that is exactly it. There are no specific rules of this one needs to be killed for breaking rule XX and this one doesn't.

I get there are some topics that need to be killed but a homemade, humane solution to mice that get into our grill areas? Seriously??

It's just plain ole forum bullying.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Maybe try to use the Off Topic category. Lately there is alot of OT in the Egghead forum. Most of it should be moved to Facebook.
  • bigguy136 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

I think it was just a joke.  Carry on...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    It was spared the true "buffalo sentencing" of being banned to the ether with no record of existence.  Only got the sunk treatment so technically it will live on. 
    As noted above, those decisions are known only to the Buffalo, not us who roam on his land. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The buffalo employs The Flying Fickle Finger of Fate routinely.  It hovers for a while over the controls before landing on the Dump button.  The problem is you showed the dead mice.  Somebody could get offended.

Flint, Michigan
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    ''Twas me!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    bigguy136 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

Reread. You have committed a Freudian slip I fear. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    It’s a badge of honor to have a thread nuked. Wear it with pride. 
  • Glad to have you back. I wouldn’t sweat it too much. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It’s mostly algorithm with the occasional manual override from the Buffalo when things get dicey. It’s an impersonal process so no need to take it personally. Im glad we don’t have a babysitter on here monitoring every thread for butt-hurtness. I guess the trade off for that is having our electronic overlord nuke a few non-offensive threads now and then. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    The freakin’ Buffalo drives the forum!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    bigguy136 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

Freudian slip? what are you talking about?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • pgprescott
    JRWhitee said:
    bigguy136 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

well, it's a bit complicated I suppose. I assume you read the thread, but if you did I'm puzzled by your question.

Johns comment was misplaced as the bully comment was not directed at the person he thought it was directed towards. He mistakenly assume the comment was directed at another due to the nature of the comment. no big deal. Simma down Bud!
  • bigguy136
    Jeremiah said:
    My apologies @bigguy136 it was just my attempt at humor. Didn’t mean to offend. 

It's all good, I wasn't trying to come off as upset. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what would kill a thread so I could prevent it in the future.

Doesn't sound like there is anything specific.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    JRWhitee said:
    bigguy136 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

well, it's a bit complicated I suppose. I assume you read the thread, but if you did I'm puzzled by your question.

Johns comment was misplaced as the bully comment was not directed at the person he thought it was directed towards. He mistakenly assume the comment was directed at another due to the nature of the comment. no big deal. Simma down Bud!
    So you can read peoples minds?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bigguy136 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

It’s Pete.  Nobody really cares what he thinks.

I quoted the wrong post.   Instead of RajunCajun’s response to bigguy, I should’ve quoted bigguy’s post just above where he was asking why he needed to “simmah down”.  It was just a simple mistake on my part that Pete couldn’t help take a pot shot at, because that’s the way he rolls.
  • pgprescott
    edited December 2018
    JRWhitee said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bigguy136 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

I quoted the wrong post.   Instead of RajunCajun’s response to bigguy, I should’ve quoted bigguy’s post just above where he was asking why he needed to “simmah down”.  It was just a simple mistake on my part that Pete couldn’t help take a pot shot at, because that’s the way he rolls.
    Exactly correct. Also pretty easy to spot.

Apparently Jim gets riled up on what I think? Huh?
  • And that is also why I ignore Pete.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    And that is also why I ignore Pete.
    I hope that Pete kicks your a$$ ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    JRWhitee said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bigguy136 said:
    Sea2Ski said:

I just thought you might want to apologize for suggesting the OP was unable to determine the comment was a joke. Turns out he is more than capable of reading.

Just trying to help you maintain you warm, fuzzy and down to earth  persona.

My apologies John. 
  • SGH said:
    OK.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    There seems to be a dearth of beer and/or other beverages in many locales today. Possibly medication as well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    The football thread got canned as well, was running since the start of the season in August.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    SGH said:
    OK.  
    You know I’m just kidding brother👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    OK.  
    You know I’m just kidding brother👍
    He's a bit touchy today for some reason. Usually not so sensitive. I don't want to fight him, I weirdly like the fella.