Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dude just showed up at my house with a Quartered Deer... what now?

greetings friends,

this guy I know does a lot of hunting. Dropped off a cleaned quartered deer. Tenderloins, sweet meats, lots of parts lol... a full cooler. 

Ill be taking this to a local processor in the next day or so. I think the sweet meats and tenderloin (backstrap?) is something I can handle myself. 

What should I ask for for for the rest of it? People have been recommending sausage and cubing parts of it. 

My first experience with anything like this. Any advice appreciated. 

Cheers!
8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Sausage would be my #1 For $50.00 you can get a cheap grinder with stufiimg attachment , save the processor money for yourself 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    The "back strap" is the Loin. The tenderloins will be small. Both are very good.
    If it was an older mature buck, you don't really want steaks from it. Jerky (I like peppered) and ground are what you want from most of it. Breakfast sausage and summer sausage are great, but cost more because they add pork or smoke it. Jerky isn't cheap either. 
    If it was a doe, you can do steaks with the hind quarters. It will be a lean tougher meat so tenderize before cooking. We usually cut out the individual muscles and then thin slice them. Batter and fry them in oil. Good stuff. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Burger.  We pay a buck a pound to get it ground and put into one pound chubs. Just made a couple pounds of elk taco meat yesterday. Good stuff. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Buy a bigger freezer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • If you’re looking for a project sausage is a good way to go...find a butcher who can get you some pork trimmings to add some fat. 

But I’m with @Spaightlabs I’ve processed so many deer at this point I’ll pay to have a processor cut steaks and straps and make the rest burger meat for tacos and chili. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited November 2018

I made Osso Bouco with the shanks last night. For some reason I can't seem to post pictures from my work computer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Large BGE and Medium BGE

• I don’t need to take the backstrap  and sweet meats to the processor I can get those cleaned up pretty easily, right?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I don’t need to take the backstrap  and sweet meats to the processor I can get those cleaned up pretty easily, right?
    Sure. YouTube is your friend here. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Your buddy did the hard work.  That is a good friend.  My friends usually just drop off gutted deer.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Cool. Processor tomorrow then. Thanks!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited November 2018
    I don’t need to take the backstrap  and sweet meats to the processor I can get those cleaned up pretty easily, right?
    Trim any silver skin and they are ready. No need to send those. We soak our meat in a big sink while quartering. It cools the meat and gets a lot of blood out. You can do the same if your buddy didn't; Take a small cooler, open the drain, and keep putting ice over the meat and close the lid. Keep adding ice for a couple of days and it will draw all the blood out. Some friends do that for a week before they process a deer. A day or 2 works for me.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I would get the hind quarters sliced into jerky slices. You can make the jerky yourself. Or get the hind quarters cut up into cubed steak. Have the rest ground up into sausage or burger. I normally get the backstrap cubed too. Leave the inner loins whole.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Griffin said:

I made Osso Bouco with the shanks last night. For some reason I can't seem to post pictures from my work computer.

@Griffin I am curious to see these pictures. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2018
    Toxarch said:
    Trim any silver skin and they are ready. No need to send those. We soak our meat in a big sink while quartering. It cools the meat and gets a lot of blood out. You can do the same if your buddy didn't; Take a small cooler, open the drain, and keep putting ice over the meat and close the lid. Keep adding ice for a couple of days and it will draw all the blood out. Some friends do that for a week before they process a deer. A day or 2 works for me.

Just my opinion... but a cooler full of ice should be a last resort (or used in the field) since you run the chance of water logging and ruining the outer layer of meat.   You're not "drawing out any blood", whatever that means - you're just aging the meat, which is a good thing. If you have a spare fridge (and the room) you're far better off aging the quarters on resting racks set over baking sheets. I typically go a full 7 days before breaking the quarters down. 

My father-in-law soaks his in a cooler full of slushy ice WATER for days.  Makes me wanna call the game warden for dead animal abuse.

Generally speaking, keep water off red meat. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    SonVolt said:
    Toxarch said:

Just my opinion... but a cooler full of ice should be a last resort (or used in the field) since you run the chance of water logging and ruining the outer layer of meat.   You're not "drawing out any blood", whatever that means - you're just aging the meat, which is a good thing. If you have a spare fridge (and the room) you're far better off aging the quarters on resting racks set over baking sheets. I typically go a full 7 days before breaking the quarters down. 

My father-in-law soaks his in a cooler full of slushy ice WATER for days.  Makes me wanna call the game warden for dead animal abuse.

Nola, you posted that info under the wrong account.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jerky Jerky Jerky Jerky Jerky.
  • MacPa
    MacPa Posts: 20
    Here in S.E. Pa. the processors I know Will only use a bandsaw on the hind quarters giving you a steak with 3 different cuts of meat that require 3 different cooking methods.  If you can find a butcher that will debone and separate the muscles you can freeze the large pieces and cut into steaks or leave as roasts. When someone tells me they don't like venison I ask if it was marinated in buttermilk or something. When they answer yes I tell them it was all the crap added that they didn't like. Please make your first taste of Venison just venison. 
  • That's the right kind of problem to have.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Neighbor gave me a quarter of a deer recently and I asked him what he did with the rest of it.  He said it got away on him...
  • Griffin
    Griffin said:

@Griffin I am curious to see these pictures. 

I've been trying and I can't for the life of me figure out how to post pictures on here anymore. I used to be able to post them straight from my computer. Do I have to use a sight like photobucket or something now like the old days? The pictures and recipe are over at my site if you really want to know.

https://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2018/11/27/venison-shank-osso-buco/

Rowlett, Texas

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited November 2018
    Great looking @Griffin....aa far as pictures you can just drag and drop into the Dialog box or use
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Griffin
    I was able to do it from my phone but still won’t work in my computer 

Rowlett, Texas

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    SonVolt said:
    Toxarch said:

Nola, you posted that info under the wrong account.

You have that backwards.  Nola is my gimmick account. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • We got  the tag number. :)

so. I cleaned up the backstrap and tenderloins. They’re in the fridge waiting to be packed and frozen. Tenderloins might be dinner tomorrow. Just marinate and grill?

the processor is getting us two roasts. Beyond that the rest will go into ground, 15 pounds of medium spicy sausage (I like hot, she doesn’t. COMPROMISE!), and something like 36 slim
    jims because I’m just curious enough....

prolly going to cost me more than a new basement. 

how long  does the turnaround usually take? They’re giving it back to us in a frozen box. 

And now - the best joke I could think of for the occasion...

what do you call a deer with no eyes?

.... no idear....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• What what do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs?

... still no idear....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Large BGE and Medium BGE

• I see no mistakes with what is on that Egg there!  Good eats!  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Right on