Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hunting Season 2018

Options
FrostyEgg
FrostyEgg Posts: 583
edited August 2018 in EggHead Forum
With the immense amount of protein consumed on this forum, I gotta think some of you guys and gals hit the woods, fields, and marshes in the fall. Just starting to get my gear together for this year's waterfowl season.

Post up your hunts and wild game cooks! I think it's important to know where your meat comes from, and I take pride in cooking what I shoot. Doing some duck breasts (blue wing teal/wood duck) wrapped in prosciutto on sunday.

Comments

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I have a deer tag for the Utah black powder season and an elk tag for Montana rifle. Hopefully I'll be filling the freezer this season. Have a couple fishing trips too and would like to put some fillets in there too.

Great topic!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

I was just talking with my wife about this last night. She said, “I want you to make that Wellington backstrap you made last year”

well babe, that’s gonna require a pretty lengthy grocery trip. So ready. I need some time in the woods. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I think I have a couple backstraps left. Guess its time to cook em up. 

Little Rock, AR

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist I posted the recipe a while back. What made that so great was the filling and the prosciutto wrapping. It got crispy and kept the pie crust from getting soggy. Did really well on the Egg

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist I posted the recipe a while back. What made that so great was the filling and the prosciutto wrapping. It got crispy and kept the pie crust from getting soggy. Did really well on the Egg
    Did you use your famous crawfish filling?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I remember you posting it. I just figured that was above my skill level. I couldn’t remember what you used for the dough. 

Little Rock, AR

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Just pie crust. Put a little egg wash on the outside. 

@bgebrent I haven’t taken you off my Usual Suspects list. Vengeance will be mine. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit you know of any dove hunts locally?  Not one of those massive public ones.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Ive got 30 pounds of ground deer left from last year and 4 back straps still. Gonna make a giant batch of sausage and empty that freezer out for this deer season. Hoping for 3 deer this year

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    I’ve got a neck roast that’s stuffed and seasoned and deboned. That’s definitely going on the egg. Hoping for 2-3 white tails myself this year. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit you know of any dove hunts locally?  Not one of those massive public ones.
    @Possumtrot I’ve been looking. Still nothing. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Soyknee
    Options
    Shot my first elk about a month ago. I’ll post some pics next time I cook some of him. The elk steaks and burger are delicious. I leave for Arizona at the end of November to hopefully shoot another bull. 
  • Soyknee
    Options
    Also love shooting and eating ditch chickens
  • Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Options
    Soyknee said:
    Also love shooting and eating ditch chickens
    @soyknee ditch chickens I love it and congrats on the elk
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    We made some dove egg rolls a few weeks ago that turned out great. I have some duck in the freezer that will be next.
    LBGE
    AL
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Man this brings back some memories.  I ain't been out hunting since I was a kid and had a kind of trawmatic experience.  

I grew up on a 200 acre piece that my family farmed here in Kansas. We didn't have much at all and my maw made a lot of my clothing.  This included a green and black checkered hunting coat that was perfec for standing in for thickets.

I was about 15 out hunting alone one day when duty called an it was an emergency. One of those where it feels like an entire Mexican army is trying to march right out of your bunghole you know?  Anyways after the explosion my only choice to wipe was either a coat pocket or my home made stocking cap. The cap was my real favorite an it was focking cold that day so I chose to save that. I tore out my pocket in my jacket an after I wiped I tossed it away in the bushes.

Two weeks later after a long walk home from school I walk into the dining room an find my maw stitching my pocket back on to my hunting coat.  She was all happy for finding it while out hunting herself. I never had the heart to tell her it didn't come off by itself an that I removed it for self comfort.  I don know why the smell didn't bother her but she never did smell too good.  Anyway most days after that I jus went to school cold because that jacket never did seem too comfy after that.  

• RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    I have lost some excellent socks the same way. 
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    RiverBBQ said:
    I have lost some excellent socks the same way. 
    Dang my socks!  Why didn’t I think of that?
  • Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Options
    Bump
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Nothing special, but here is all I can contribute so far. With that said, it’s still early in the season. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Duck breasts wrapped in bacon in the pre-prep phase.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Zeiger88 said:

"Son, your momma took her first deer today. She shot it right in the butt hole." 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Got this Drake Saturday, it was a slow hunt but this beauty was worth it!

LBGE
    AL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Awesome brother 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CornfedMA
    Options

The “Gentleman of the Swamp.” Love it. Just got this back from a couple nice drakes I took last year.