Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives

Options

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    $ for Premier 8” chefs knife? Any nikiri in stock?
    I'll let you know tomorrow.  No on the nikiri.....you want that in the premier as well?
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Btw Shun has a promo through the end of the year if you spend over $300, 400, or 500.  I think it's a free set of shears or paring knife for 300 and 400, then over 500 is the personal folding steak knife.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I've got 7 shun classics, my go to's are the nikiri, paring, and kiritsuki.  Love them.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Waiting until Friday and will pick up a couple of Shuns. Wife is interested in the nakiri, any opinions?
    I have the Shun Classic Nakiri. I use it exclusively on veggies. I have seen ones with that are hollow ground. I would recommend getting one of those. 

Also I have been super impressed with the boning knife (DM0743). The little paring knife gets a ton of usage too. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Waiting until Friday and will pick up a couple of Shuns. Wife is interested in the nakiri, any opinions?
    I have the Shun Classic Nakiri. I use it exclusively on veggies. I have seen ones with that are hollow ground. I would recommend getting one of those. 

Also I have been super impressed with the boning knife (DM0743). The little paring knife gets a ton of usage too. 
    The boning knife works great for trimming meats
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    That’s all I use it for @logchief
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I love my Shun Kaji chefs knife, but still use my 4-star Henkels every cook. They do require sharpening twice as often, but still do a good job!

Buy what you can afford, and sharpen as needed!
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,426
    Options
    Standing by on Shun pricing....wife bought me a 3 piece set for our 10 year wedding anniversary. 8” chef’s, utility and paring. Love them! 
  • stlcharcoal
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @GrillSgt @Dobie @ColbyLang

Sending you guys my email address......can't post the prices on the board, nor do business in the PM box.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    If you don't get a reply from let me know.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    The free gift program is good through Jan 31, 2019:

-over $299 is a free set of Shun shears
    -over $399 is a clip point pairing knife
    -over $499 is the Higo No Kami folding personal steak knife

You just fill out the card and send it to Shun with the receipt within 30 days.

I'm not sure which shears you get, and this the clip point pairing is discontinued, but the folding steak knife is really nice (about a $100-125 knife).  Shears are $40-100 depending on the model, and the pairing knife is at least $75-100 based off the price of the other ones.

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    sometime next year I want to get a knife made I can use for trimming brisket and such. what blade design is best for that?
    Boom
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    The 6" Boning Filet knife......used it over the weekend to trim a brisket.  Friggin awesome.  They also make a flexible one, but that's more of fish or poultry I think.

• stlcharcoal
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Here are the two.  Top is the flexible.....you miss out on those awesome wavy Damascus steel lines.  Standard one is also a little heavier.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    The 6" Boning Filet knife......used it over the weekend to trim a brisket.  Friggin awesome.  They also make a flexible one, but that's more of fish or poultry I think.

Yes. I bought mine on clearance for $70. I friggin’ love it. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

this one is my favorite as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

You got a really good deal!!!! 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

I try to make @Photo Egg proud. Granted he’d find one for $5... 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2018
    Options

A good boning knife is high on my list. Shun makes some good stuff.
    Free sharpening if you mail them in. But starting in Jan 2019, you have to pay return shipping shipping. $70...that win is all yours.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Free sharpening if you mail them in. But starting in Jan 2019, you have to pay return shipping shipping. $70...that win is all yours.
    Haven't heard about that......I thought the return shipping was still $5 for the first knife, then $2 for each additional in the same box.
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I love my Shun Classic knives as well as the Kaji slicer I bought years ago. I've had some since 2001 and have only sharpened two of them once. I've been recently looking at the Dalstrong lines to see if there's something there that I'd be happy with. I picked up one of the bread knives from them last week and it's 'meh'... I was expecting more/better. It is their Phantom bread knife, so not sure if I just picked the wrong line or what.
    I'm also looking to get my mother a 6" chef knife for the holidays (she wants one). But I need to be sure the edge angle is one that I can sharpen since I'll need to do that at some point (usually too soon for whatever reason).
    BTW, the Shun Classic are Japanese made, but western style blades. IMO/IME, best of both worlds. Especially with the VG10 core steel there. Just be sure to treat them right and you'll get a lot of use from them without needing to do all that much (hone them periodically, or before use is all it takes).
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    1911Man said:
    BTW, the Shun Classic are Japanese made, but western style blades. IMO/IME, best of both worlds. Especially with the VG10 core steel there. Just be sure to treat them right and you'll get a lot of use from them without needing to do all that much (hone them periodically, or before use is all it takes).
    Sort of.....kind of a hybrid.  Western style is a dual bevel at 22 degrees.  Most Shuns are a dual bevel at 16 degrees, but they do make a single bevel, and a few 22 degree dual bevels.  The traditional Japanese knives have less a of bevel (12 degree?), but they're not stainless steel and they single bevel......but they're also only for fish and you have to wipe them off after every stroke.

PS:  Like your username and avatar!!
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    1911Man said:
    I love my Shun Classic knives as well as the Kaji slicer I bought years ago. I've had some since 2001 and have only sharpened two of them once. I've been recently looking at the Dalstrong lines to see if there's something there that I'd be happy with.
    Man what does Shun have to do to get the repeat business? Sounds like you’ve had a great experience with them.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Haven't heard about that......I thought the return shipping was still $5 for the first knife, then $2 for each additional in the same box.
    You are correct. I just mailed back a custom Kershaw, also owned by Kai, and saw the return shipping notice for 2019. Right now it was free. I made assumption it was similar for their other knives including Shun. Wrong again.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I love this workhorse. It’s discontinued. If you like something, snatch it up because you never know when it’ll be gone forever. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I love this workhorse. It’s discontinued. If you like something, snatch it up because you never know when it’ll be gone forever. 

George Jones?  George Strait?  
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    I bought my first one twenty years ago. The only change has been the  logo. Gotta love a classic.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options

Jacksonville FL
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    That is the only good sale on any knife that I could find. Disappointed.