Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives

Options
12346»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    I bought a 4-piece Zwilling/Henckel's set maybe 35 years ago (standard chef's, paring, wood block, and steel).  Then, as I'd see other knives I thought I might use, on sale (Black Friday and Mother's Day), and when funds permitted, I'd buy one more, and now have my block full (eight knives).  The thing is, though, is I use them all, all the time; sure I could get by with maybe 3, but I like the ideal tool for the job.  The only overlap I have is a "santuko-style" 4-Star, and it really does the same thing my standard chef's knife does.  I did buy an inexpensive, non-Henckel's cleaver (thought it'd be handy for transferring finely-cut veggies to the wok) but it was so tall I never really did like using it.  

A few years back I'd read that most US and European manufacturers (including Henckel's) had adopted the finer Japanese angle, so I purchased and used the Chef'sChoice "Trizor" sharpener, which rough-grinds the bevel to that angle, then polishes and then hones/strops the edge.  I've been extremely happy with them resharpened this way, and they'll outlast me (would like to know if Henckel's changed the alloy when they went to the thinner bevel).  I left my heavier chef's knife at the old "US" angle, as I use it for hacking through chicken bones and squashes, the stouter edge makes more sense there.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...