Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives

Options

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Looks like I’ll be contacting you Monday @stlcharcoal
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Looks like I’ll be contacting you Monday @stlcharcoal
    Sounds good.....I was going to order some more anyway.  I really enjoyed using them for the prep work.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    OK so I’m taking the advice here to go Shun but what are the must have styles?
    8 inch chef for sure and that boning knife, what others ?
    Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    Dobie said:
    They are all great. Just find one that fits a particular need/want of yours. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I would say start there maybe the small paring knife.  Amazon has a good deal on the 8” classic. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Dobie said:
    I would say start there maybe the small paring knife.  Amazon has a good deal on the 8” classic. 

Yep the guy who has tried real hard to avoid buying more knives bitbon the classic. Hmm. 

Jerks!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I stock the classics, but the premiers are cool too.  Depends on the pattern on the blade you want.  The premiers have that hammered look and wavy near the cutting edge, the classics are just wavy.  The two steps up from that are Blue and Dual Core.....those have gorgeous.  Then a step lower is the Kanso's, and they have kind of an industrial look.  They're all great knives--don't get too hung up on the "levels" because unless you're beating the hell out of them, you probably won't notice the difference between them (except for the appearance.) 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I stock the classics, but the premiers are cool too.  Depends on the pattern on the blade you want.  The premiers have that hammered look and wavy near the cutting edge, the classics are just wavy.  The two steps up from that are Blue and Dual Core.....those have gorgeous.  Then a step lower is the Kanso's, and they have kind of an industrial look.  They're all great knives--don't get too hung up on the "levels" because unless you're beating the hell out of them, you probably won't notice the difference between them (except for the appearance.) 
    Might have to order some up with the next lump order. Don’t tell the boss. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,352
    Options
    Shun Premier boning knife is a must 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Dobie
    Options
    Not too worried about the levels, classic, premier etc move asking about the types, chef, nakiri, santoku, kiritsuke etc 
    Jacksonville FL
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Dobie said:

Yep the guy who has tried real hard to avoid buying more knives bitbon the classic. Hmm. 

Jerks!
    I bought my first like 3 months ago.  It’s hard to sneak them past the wife.  I grabbed this one at Williams Sonoma on sale.  It’s a pleasure to use. I’m just resisting the wallet hit for a few others right now. 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I was all set to purchase a couple of Shuns. Premier Chefs knife and Classic nakiri. My wife uses these knives also and she isn’t the most careful woman in the world. After reading numerous reviews complaining about being easily chipped I am going with Wusthof, I think. Hahaha, I can buy a new car faster than I can buy a couple of knives. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Swmbo is not allowed to use my Shun!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,352
    Options
    Fact: she won't go near them as she does not want to cut herself. What she doesn't understand is that the dull knives will cause her more harm. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Dobie
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Fact: she won't go near them as she does not want to cut herself. What she doesn't understand is that the dull knives will cause her more harm. 
    This is Mrs. Dobie, I have no worries 
    Jacksonville FL
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The 6" Boning Filet knife......used it over the weekend to trim a brisket.  Friggin awesome.  They also make a flexible one, but that's more of fish or poultry I think.

Yes. I bought mine on clearance for $70. I friggin’ love it. 
    You got a really good deal!!!! 
    I try to make @Photo Egg proud. Granted he’d find one for $5... 
    A good boning knife is high on my list. Shun makes some good stuff.
    Free sharpening if you mail them in. But starting in Jan 2019, you have to pay return shipping shipping. $70...that win is all yours.
    Haven't heard about that......I thought the return shipping was still $5 for the first knife, then $2 for each additional in the same box.
    My favorite for trimming meat, also love the Kiritsuki and Nakiri
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Classic 8" carving knife. It's a recent addition and I have no idea how I got along without it.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Dobie said:
    ColtsFan said:
    This is Mrs. Dobie, I have no worries 

• Dobie
    Options
    @DoubleEgger LOL, she’s happy to let me do the majority of the cooking.

Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @Dobie my wife is happy letting me do all of the cooking. 
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    Hub said:
    I've been using a set of Cutco knives for years.  This thread has me considering a change, though I'm not sure why.  I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. 
    I can tell you the great thing about cutco is there policy on replacing. If one can not be sharpened they send you a new one at no cost. My parents have had theres for years and they are great for everyday stuff. They have been sent in a few times for sharpening over the past 20 years. They have replaced 4 knives. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    All you Shun owners, do you fine you sharpen them less? I have Wusthof and they are fine....... but, maybe I'm missing something.....
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Dobie
    Options
    I love this workhorse. It’s discontinued. If you like something, snatch it up because you never know when it’ll be gone forever. 

@DoubleEgger this is available in the Kaji line but it’s $240  :|
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    edited December 2018
    Options
    So I’ve picked up a few Shuns and looking at drawer storage for them. Not wanting a countertop block. Anyone have this one from Shun?

Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    All you Shun owners, do you fine you sharpen them less? I have Wusthof and they are fine....... but, maybe I'm missing something.....
    Yes. I’ve had Shun for a couple of years and I’ve never sharpened them or even honed them. They are as wicked sharp as they day I bought them. I plan only sending them in to be sharpened when the time comes. I don’t want anything other than a factory sharpened Shun. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Yes. I’ve had Shun for a couple of years and I’ve never sharpened them or even honed them. They are as wicked sharp as they day I bought them. I plan only sending them in to be sharpened when the time comes. I don’t want anything other than a factory sharpened Shun. 
    Same, only one year in.  Never seen the hone. 
  • stlcharcoal
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Dobie said:
    So I’ve picked up a few Shuns and looking at drawer storage for them. Not wanting a countertop block. Anyone have this one from Shun?

Yep!  I have that one at home for me.  Needs to be wider, but I guess I could always have two and skip every other slot.
  • Dobie
    Options
    I figured I would need to skip a slot for the handles on the back row, maybe can get some shorties in between up top. Don’t really need 10 premium knives, about 6 I think. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    You can put steak knives in the middle of the block if you dont have a big chef's knife or something in the same one.

Nothing is going to be perfect unless you custom make it.

If you want me to order one or some shuns for you, just let me know.
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    My Wusthof Santoku is my go-to work horse but I always wanted a true Japanese Gyuto so I invested in a Konosuke 210mm Gyuto and really love the knife.  chefknivestogo.com has many of the fine Japanese knives and he does videos on most of them which is helpful in seeing the actual knife you are considering and learning more about them. 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE