Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Smoked Mac & Cheese recipe please

Options
Sorry folks, I know I could probably due a search but I'm afraid I would something. 

Sadly, I'm an egg owner of 5 years and have never made smoked mac & cheese.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Just figured out my contribution to thanksgiving this year. Thanks!!

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Sorry I can’t help. My recipe is for the 2nd Best Mac and Cheese.  ;)
    LOL 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    @ikapigian I appreciate it. 

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I use Malcom’s, too, and it’s really good, but it’s really greasy
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I really like the crack and cheese recipe from Amazing Ribs. Here is a condensed version from another recipe site. 

https://www.azestybite.com/crack-n-cheese/print/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The key to good smoked Mac and cheese in my opinion is to sauté your bacon nice and crisp, saving the fat to mix with the flour to form the base of your béchamel.  I use one lb of bacon to 3lbs of of pasta, we like shells.  I use a blend of 3 cheeses first is a smoked sharp cheddar, next is the old velveeta and last but not least is about half as much bacon horseradish cheese.  We use smoker bricx burban infused cherry and hickory for wood.  Cook until golnden brown and delicious.  Here’s a photo from an EggFest. 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    ryantt said:
    The key to good smoked Mac and cheese in my opinion is to sauté your bacon nice and crisp, saving the fat to mix with the flour to form the base of your béchamel.  I use one lb of bacon to 3lbs of of pasta, we like shells.  I use a blend of 3 cheeses first is a smoked sharp cheddar, next is the old velveeta and last but not least is about half as much bacon horseradish cheese.  We use smoker bricx burban infused cherry and hickory for wood.  Cook until golnden brown and delicious.  Here’s a photo from an EggFest. 

Key steps right here^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Using smoked cheese will impart a lot more of the Smokey flavor than just cooking on the egg. It infused the whole dish instead of just the exposed top. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @tarheelmatt made the best Mac and cheese I’ve ever had at last years butt blast.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @ryantt as much as I want to like Mac and cheese, I usually don’t. I will always take a teaspoon and give it a try, leaving me always wondering why I do that. With the above being said, your procedure sounds like a Mac and cheese which is on a different level. I just might need to give it a try. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • TheEGGcredibleFulk
    Options
    ryantt said:

Where can I find those stackable “containers” those are nice
  • TheEGGcredibleFulk
    Options
    @ryantt can you post the full recipe? I Want to give it a try for turkey day 
  • etherdome
    Options
    I’ve had better luck with using smoked cheese for the Mac and cheese as opposed to actually smoking the dish. Really simple.  Smoked Gouda, macaroni, cream of mushroom soup. =Phenomenal . 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @TheEGGcredibleFulk when we brown the bacon we end up with a lot of good bacon fat.  I’m guesssing as I do not actually measure it’s more of a feel thing....I mix in about 4T of flour and let it get to a nice golden color.  I then add in a few cups of whole milk 2ish and strat to slowly blend in my cheese.   It is 2 cups of each smoked cheddar and velveeta.  As these 2 start to melt I add in half and half to keep a creamy and smooth.  I add in the last cheese and continue to adjust the amount of liquid needed to keep things right.  At the end I mix it with my par cooked noodles and and bacon.  Cook until it is golden brown and delicious.   That’s it.  It’s isially about 45 min in the egg with a good amount of smoke going.   Norah grace and I love the smokerbricx from the Cleveland whiskey company...they impairs a nice flavor.  

We do comfort food by feel sorry I couldn’t be more exact.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• TheEGGcredibleFulk
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @TheEGGcredibleFulk when we brown the bacon we end up with a lot of good bacon fat.  I’m guesssing as I do not actually measure it’s more of a feel thing....I mix in about 4T of flour and let it get to a nice golden color.  I then add in a few cups of whole milk 2ish and strat to slowly blend in my cheese.   It is 2 cups of each smoked cheddar and velveeta.  As these 2 start to melt I add in half and half to keep a creamy and smooth.  I add in the last cheese and continue to adjust the amount of liquid needed to keep things right.  At the end I mix it with my par cooked noodles and and bacon.  Cook until it is golden brown and delicious.   That’s it.  It’s isially about 45 min in the egg with a good amount of smoke going.   Norah grace and I love the smokerbricx from the Cleveland whiskey company...they impairs a nice flavor.  

We do comfort food by feel sorry I couldn’t be more exact.  
    Almost everything I cook is by feel so I completely understand. Thank you , I will be sure to post pictures of the finished product 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @tarheelmatt made the best Mac and cheese I’ve ever had at last years butt blast.   
    Thanks buddy. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I do Malcom’s as well but instead of 1/2Lb colbyjack I’ll substitute mozzarella fam loves it. Also, when smoking Mac n cheese one peice of fruit wood is plenty of smoke 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    Seems like we should cold smoke the cheese and then make the Mac casserole with the smoked cheese.... I can't see the smoke flavor penetrating through the crust in a cast iron dutch oven.  The smokey bake in the egg at the finish obviously creates a smokey crust, but for the cheesy part it doesn't seem logical. 

I've tried multiple scratch versions of smoked Mac and I can't get it creamy.... I don't know why, every time the oil separates from the cheese and it gets curdley.  I've tried it with many recipes, bacon, gouda, Swiss, pulled pork, brisket, you name it.  Always ends up dry and the cheese separates.  The Mac in this post looks creamy though.  Its a mystery.

Strongsville, OH