Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Week of Keto: Spoilers, Nobody Died

Options

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I made this mistake of going on a work trip and left my belt.  I had my pants on the ground...pants on the ground...
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I made this mistake of going on a work trip and left my belt.  I had my pants on the ground...pants on the ground...
    I did this on a vacation trip. First night at dinner I held my pants up with a bathrobe tie.  Next day was a trip to Mens Wearhouse to get a belt: the saleslady ganged up with my wife and I left with 3 pair of slacks, 2 sport coats, oh, and a belt.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Had an extra hour this morning and the weather is getting funky so I hammered out some meal prep to get back on the low carb train. 

8 Keto pizza crusts to freeze

A couple nights worth of creamy Mexican chicken soup

A boatload of chocolate peanut butter fat bombs
    And some muffins for the kids cause they’re sick of no bread. 

I need a nap.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That soup looks amazing- can you share the recipe?

thanks
    Greensboro, NC
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Wolfpack let me see if I can remember. 

3 cups of rotisserie chicken (I mixed dark and white)
    2 cups of chicken stock
    4 oz cream cheese
    2 tbsp heavy cream
    2 jalapenos
    1/2 onion
    1 cup mushrooms
    1 can diced tomatoes drained
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp chipotle powder
    1 tsp or more garlic powder
    1 tsp ancho chili powder

I think that’s all. Sauté up the onion, jalapeño, and mushroom for a minute. Dump all ingredients (minus cream and cream cheese). Bring to a boil, let it sit 10 minutes, then toss in the cream and cream cheese. Stir and serve. 

I usually toss some cilantro, avocado, and sour cream on top. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Wolfpack
    Options
    Thanks, with the colder weather have been thinking about a good soup. We made Keto Chili the other day; my wife liked it but I thought it was a little bland and boring. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Thanks, with the colder weather have been thinking about a good soup. We made Keto Chili the other day; my wife liked it but I thought it was a little bland and boring. 

@Wolfpack agreed. I just picked a weekend in October on a cheat day for us and made regular chili. Some things just aren’t the same. 

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    Options
    I wonder if @nolaegghead lawyer buddies vegan chili is keto friendly.  I would guess at a very minimum, it’s low carb.   You need to go to Brisket Camp and get him drunk to have him divulge his secrets.  
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    Been following this thread for awhile but never posted... 
    Been on Low-Carb/Keto for almost one year now and am down right around 85 pounds (265 -> 180).

Here was dinner tonight...
    Couple Chicken Thighs - Seasoned with Butt Rub and Egged at 350F Raised Direct
    Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower Rice - https://kirbiecravings.com/garlic-parmesan-cauliflower-rice/
    Three Minute Cheddar Biscuits - https://www.ketoconnect.net/low-carb-biscuits/ 

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    made some shredded cheese taco shells last night with some homemade tomatillo salsa.  came out great and hit the spot for some tacos. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit. Your Mexican soup recipe was delicious, highly recommended!  Thanks for taking the time to post the recipe.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @Killit_and_Grillit. Your Mexican soup recipe was delicious, highly recommended!  Thanks for taking the time to post the recipe.
    @RedSkip glad you enjoyed it. For a 20 minute start to finish it’s hard to beat. And with a Costco chicken you can make 8 servings quick. 

I will say I did it with smoked chicken thighs once and it was out of this world, but added an extra 3 hours to the process so first and last time for that. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Wolfpack
    Options
    Shrimp Alfredo zoodles for dinner tonight- 

Greensboro, NC
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I wonder if @nolaegghead lawyer buddies vegan chili is keto friendly.  I would guess at a very minimum, it’s low carb.   You need to go to Brisket Camp and get him drunk to have him divulge his secrets.  
    I have found that vegan recipes tend to be pretty carby as they rely on legumes for protein.  I try to keep my carbs under 50 g/day and really have to leave beans and such out to achieve that (as well as wheat, rice, potatoes, corn, etc).

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Well, it's been another month and I am down 10 more, 30 pounds total. Have been eating some carbs here and there but I feel great. I need all new pants now. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Well, it's been another month and I am down 10 more, 30 pounds total. Have been eating some carbs here and there but I feel great. I need all new pants now. 
    @milesvdustin Congrats man. I’m in the same boat. My wife told me I had to go shopping this week. I’ve been carrying a wider gun for the last month to make my pants stay up :rofl:

South of Nashville, TN

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Funny you say that, I never could wear my g26 since I got fat. I have a new black arch holster being delivered tomorrow now that I have room in my pants for the wider gun 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Agreed, I made a batch last weekend and it was killer. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    CTMike said:
    RedSkip said:
    @CTMike did you smoke the chicken or just use rotisserie? I’m debating the amount of time smoking all the chicken takes vs just picking up a $5 Costco chicken. 

South of Nashville, TN

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    CTMike said:
    RedSkip said:
    @CTMike did you smoke the chicken or just use rotisserie? I’m debating the amount of time smoking all the chicken takes vs just picking up a $5 Costco chicken. 
    Was short on time so I just shredded a rotisserie chicken
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Lemon chicken thighs over steamed cauliflower rice and roasted asparagus.  I used this recipe:

https://lifemadesweeter.com/instant-pot-lemon-garlic-chicken/

Personally thought it ended up a touch bland- would go heavier on pepper flake, zest and maybe add a splash of gator or tiger sauce. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Wolfpack looks good! I just massacred a plate of chicken wings and was regretting no veggie side. 

Always tomorrow. 

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    Options
    Had 7 Popeyes Blackened tenders for lunch.  Only 7 carbs total plus the carbs from a side of green beans 

Bonus.   Within 15mins I evacuated my stomach, small intestines, and colon.  All at once.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options

2 cups of chicken stock
    4 oz cream cheese
    2 tbsp heavy cream
    2 jalapenos
    1/2 onion
    1 cup mushrooms
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp chipotle powder
    1 tsp ancho chili powder

I think that’s all. Sauté up the onion, jalapeño, and mushroom for a minute. Dump all ingredients (minus cream and cream cheese). Bring to a boil, let it sit 10 minutes, then toss in the cream and cream cheese. Stir and serve. 

I made this today, amazing flavors, will definitely do this again!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I know it says Woman's Word but it reads national Enquirer... I lost 18 Lbs in 3 months, must be doing something wrong.. Ha ha..
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Fathead bacon, egg and cheese biscuits- first time I have tried these and they were solid. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Wolfpack post that recipe son!

South of Nashville, TN

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Anybody have a good Keto pancake recipe using almond flour?  Pancakes are our Sunday morning family meal before church and I’ve tried three recipes now and am not happy with results. One of them was good a couple weeks ago but I didn’t write it down and I can’t find it again. The first was an epic failure and this mornings rendition was just ok. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

2 cups of chicken stock
    4 oz cream cheese
    2 tbsp heavy cream
    2 jalapenos
    1/2 onion
    1 cup mushrooms
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp chipotle powder
    1 tsp ancho chili powder

Wife is doing this one this week. Thanks Adam

Johns Creek, Georgia