Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Returning an Item to Costco....

Options

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    We had one of these threads a couple years ago.  I've returned a couple of "big ticket" items to Costco after a couple years.  The biggest (in more ways than one) was one of those large 3-piece sectional couches.  After about a year or few...can't remember, one of the seat cushions self-destructed.  I talked to a manager about it, and they suggested that the manufacturer could have someone come to us and fix it.  Other than the cushion issue, we really liked the couch, so I said ok.  When the repair guy came out, he had a really hard time with it, and we got to see how the thing was put together.  The cushions were made up of many individual metal coils, laced together with a single continuous piece of twine holding them all in place for each cushion.  That twine eventually broke, and released the coils to go whichever way they wanted.  It transformed the cushion from really comfortable to feeling like you're sitting on someone's fist. 
    About a year or so later, another went.  At that point, I was "no longer satisfied" as I knew that under its attractive exterior, this furniture was complete crap on the inside.  I had to argue a bit, and rent a trailer to get it there, but they did agree to take it back for a full refund.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    There was a report doing the rounds recently about a woman who returned a used, nonfunctional printer after several years. Costco took it back. And revoked her membership. Supposedly. 

If you used it for 5 years, then kept it for another 2 yrs, is it possible that you got your money’s worth? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options

dmchicago said:
    I doubt you would be asking if you didn’t think it’s really not the right thing to do. You did get 5 years use out of it.....
    Ya, 5 years of use is ok. I've just never tried to return anything to Costco before. However, seeing as I saw 2 guys back to back returning clearly well used Kamado Joe's to Costco and getting their money back I thought to myself, returning a Christmas tree that had the bulbs burn out is a little less douchy than that. So am I really that awful for at least looking into it?
    Not exactly setting a high bar for your life, eh? 
    If I keep it that low there’s always room for improvement right?
    Please tell me you are not really from Texas.......
    "room for improvement?? Yea, maybe for u at the Broward County supervisor of elections office!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2018
    Options
    tml1230 said:

dmchicago said:
    I doubt you would be asking if you didn’t think it’s really not the right thing to do. You did get 5 years use out of it.....
    Ya, 5 years of use is ok. I've just never tried to return anything to Costco before. However, seeing as I saw 2 guys back to back returning clearly well used Kamado Joe's to Costco and getting their money back I thought to myself, returning a Christmas tree that had the bulbs burn out is a little less douchy than that. So am I really that awful for at least looking into it?
    Not exactly setting a high bar for your life, eh? 
    If I keep it that low there’s always room for improvement right?
    Please tell me you are not really from Texas.......
    "room for improvement?? Yea, maybe for u at the Broward County supervisor of elections office!
    Who is this directed at? If it’s me, yes I’m a born and raised Texan. What does that have to do with anything? My response to dmchicago was sarcastic. I have a lot more self respect than that. I asked for people’s opinions on returning items to Costco. I didn’t say I tried to take back a 7year old artificial Christmas tree. I asked if it would be possible. Judging by the reactions on here half say to try it half say no. I’m just getting a gauge as to whether I could. Not that I’m going to. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    first of shame on you for not buying a real tree!!!! Help keep us nursery garden center guys in business. Secondly I sell cost contact@bpiny.com and I get returns from them 3-5 years after selling the item to them so I believe they do not eat the cost of return and just push it to the vendor, hence why I stopped selling them a year ago but will still get a charge back here and there. Im sure they will take it back but is it the right thing to do only you can answer that
    We tried last year and I couldn’t keep the dang thing alive. So back to fake again. I don’t want to make it a big issue for them so if they start to argue with me about it I’m done. Not worth arguing with them. I’m not out to screw Costco or anything.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Gym said:
    You bought a Christmas tree at Costco? That's like buying a Blackstone at bed Bath and Beyond!  =)
    Ya, what goofball would do that? =)

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    They will take it back. I buy everything I can from Costco and hardly return anything but I did have the suction hose on a food saver get stuck and wouldn’t go back in that was like 2.5 years old and they took it back with no receipt and no box and our Dyson V6 vacuum stopped working after 3 or so years and they took it back. I’ve seen people in the line when I’m waiting to get out with food items that are 90% gone and returning them. I don’t think they question anything as long as you have the item and bought it there. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited November 2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    first of shame on you for not buying a real tree!!!! Help keep us nursery garden center guys in business. Secondly I sell cost contact@bpiny.com and I get returns from them 3-5 years after selling the item to them so I believe they do not eat the cost of return and just push it to the vendor, hence why I stopped selling them a year ago but will still get a charge back here and there. Im sure they will take it back but is it the right thing to do only you can answer that
    We tried last year and I couldn’t keep the dang thing alive. So back to fake again. I don’t want to make it a big issue for them so if they start to argue with me about it I’m done. Not worth arguing with them. I’m not out to screw Costco or anything.
    I always bought real trees until one we bought was infested by some kind of mite. Thousands of them. I had to rewrap all the Christmas presents due to dead mites staining the paper. I’ll never buy one again as long as I live. I have an OCD clean freak wife. It was not fun. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The have everything you ever bought on that membership in their computer.  I've taken back stuff that's 3-4 years old.  I buy enough stuff there without looking at competitive pricing or models from other stores BECAUSE I know if its a piece of crap I can take it back without any BS.  I had one clerk get snippy with me one time about something, but it's not her job to b!tch about the company policy or lecture me about it.  It's 100% customer satisfaction and that's what I snapped back with just because I was done listening to her.  I've got a busted golf umbrella in my truck I'm going to take back there, not because I really want the $10 back, but because I'm going to buy another one when I'm there anyway.

@mlc2013 … they may look better and keep those place in business, but they are messy, a fire hazard, then a pain in the butt to get rid of after Christmas if you don't live on acreage.  Two of those aren't an issue for me, but the fire hazard part is.  LED's have really cut down on issues, but still not enough for me.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    I didn't read the whole thing, but I noticed it mentioned LL Bean.  I remember reading on another business website how one of the executives/owners had one of his old shirts he had donated to charity come back through the returns with his initials embroidered on it!!  That was their tip off that people were going to goodwill to buy LL Bean clothes just so they could swap them for new ones.
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options

dont have the tree yard do a fresh cut when you buy unless your putting in a 5 gallon bucket of water instantly. Just wait till your going to bring tree indoors and do fresh cut on your own then and immediately put in cool water + tree preserve. I have never had a tree die on me, but they do drink a lot of water we were filling the stand 2 times a day for the first 2-3 days then only once a day then down to once every 3-4 days we dont keep our house at 80 degrees but do keep at high 60 and dont keep the lights on 24 hours a day and you should be golden. I know they are not for everyone but I can not imagine walking into my house in december and not smelling the tree.
    Good luck with your returns and like I said your not screwing costco your hurting the company that sold them that tree 5-7 years ago that made very little profit then.
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • mlc2013
    Options

I always bought real trees until one we bought was infested by some kind of mite. Thousands of them. I had to rewrap all the Christmas presents due to dead mites staining the paper. I’ll never buy one again as long as I live. I have an OCD clean freak wife. It was not fun. 
    That sucks I understand the circumstance I have never heard of that but it can happen most of the problem we have is a bird flying out when you open tree outside before bringing in and scaring people half to death. A bug infestation is pretty easily noticeable in the day light by the seller and a respectable one would destroy tree not so that no one buys it but to stop the infestation to the other trees in the yard. Most people buy tree at night time and hard to spot bugs then
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options

@mlc2013 … they may look better and keep those place in business, but they are messy, a fire hazard, then a pain in the butt to get rid of after Christmas if you don't live on acreage.  Two of those aren't an issue for me, but the fire hazard part is.  LED's have really cut down on issues, but still not enough for me.

LED did help a lot but simple watering and keeping the lights to minimum until week of xmas is a great way to help preserve. I live in NY and they pick up trees in the trash for weeks after xmas plus also let you bring trees to the beach to be used to fight erosion as well
    Long Island NY    
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,612
    Options
    This thread has calmed down a bit too much.  Someone turn the judgy back up.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Legume said:
    This thread has calmed down a bit too much.  Someone turn the judgy back up.
    I tried...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    50 comments... NOW!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    DMW said:
    40 comments on a $300 seven year old artificial tree? Need more bourbon to understand this...
    Wait for the book to come out. :coffee:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    And here I thought this thread would sink quicker than the titanic.....

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    caliking said:
    50 comments... NOW!
    And that's BEFORE the recount!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Is there a GofundMe page? $300 seems rather low to make this go away. I'll include a book (or so).
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    DMW said:
    Is there a GofundMe page? $300 seems rather low to make this go away. I'll include a book (or so).
    Just post a few times about cloud computing or books you’ve read. That will sink her =)

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just post a few times about cloud computing or books you’ve read. That will sink her =)
    I find it baffling that they have computers in clouds. That must be what those laser beams on top of the building at work are used for  
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    Over the years, I have seen a lot of people give reasons for wanting a fake tree over a real one, but this is the first time I’ve seen anyone say that they’re hard to keep alive.  Hats off to you sir, that takes real talent.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    Over the years, I have seen a lot of people give reasons for wanting a fake tree over a real one, but this is the first time I’ve seen anyone say that they’re hard to keep alive.  Hats off to you sir, that takes real talent.
    Apparently for me it’s pretty easy. They cut the dang thing, I brought it home, filled the stand with water daily and within a week it was dryer than a Steven Wright joke.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Roughly $43.00/year for the use of that tree. 2 years in a box unused. I know people that have spent more than that on cut trees annually, so you are likely at a bargain position with that tree after the 5 year mark.

You will never get it to $00.00, so, recycle the plastic, buy a new one, or invest the time to remove the lights, add a few strands and you are good. Your investment goes up, but it will be minimal.

Or return it. Costco will take it back. While you are at it, find all the other things you have purchased from Costco you do not use anymore, and return them as well. Go big or go home.

Merry Christmas.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Roughly $43.00/year for the use of that tree. 2 years in a box unused. I know people that have spent more than that on cut trees annually, so you are likely at a bargain position with that tree after the 5 year mark.

You will never get it to $00.00, so, recycle the plastic, buy a new one, or invest the time to remove the lights, add a few strands and you are good. Your investment goes up, but it will be minimal.

Or return it. Costco will take it back. While you are at it, find all the other things you have purchased from Costco you do not use anymore, and return them as well. Go big or go home.

Merry Christmas.
    There’s your judgy @legume