Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk Chicken??

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
after watching Fat, Salt, Acid, Heat . . The heat episode she makes a buttermilk full chicken.  Anyone see this?  I didn’t find anything on the search & surprised nobody tried it on the BGE yet?  Looks simple, and she hyped it big time. I will try next chance I get, lemme know if you tried ?
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    No, haven't seen that particular recipe but have tried other buttermilk chicken recipes in the past with no great impressions. Seems to me if I ever try again I will add canning salt which is so fine that it (the salt) may be able to drag in some of the buttermilk taste.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I made it. It’s amazing. I’ll never do it any other way. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Chicken without using buttermilk is like using the BGE w/o fire.
    We use it all the time and the results, specifically when fried, are night and day.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NDG
    Ha “never cook chicken any other way”  little sarcasm maybe?  Whatever I’m gonna give it a go.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited November 2018
    Several of us on here are big proponents of the buttermilk brine. I add hot sauce to mine. The one thing I didn’t get about hers was cooking the chicken while still coated with the buttermilk. I rinse, dry with paper towels and let it air dry in fridge. You’ll love it.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Use it on game birds all the time, and the difference is huge. Much more tender and less gamey 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    im no good with fried chicken except with boneless skinless thighs and buttermilk is a must.  beats out a mcrib everytime =)

the yankee version

then to kick it up, the beurre franks sauce on a sandwich with bluecheese and celery

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG said:
    Ha “never cook chicken any other way”  little sarcasm maybe?  Whatever I’m gonna give it a go.
    More hyperbole than sarcasm. :) 
    I meant for a simple brined grilled bird and definitely for frying. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    RRP said:
    No, haven't seen that particular recipe but have tried other buttermilk chicken recipes in the past with no great impressions. Seems to me if I ever try again I will add canning salt which is so fine that it (the salt) may be able to drag in some of the buttermilk taste.
    Water is a polar molecule. One end attracts the chloride ion and the other end attracts the sodium ion, which is why salt crystals dissolve in water. It doesn’t matter it you use canning salt or Halite, it's all NaCl so it will all dissolve. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    we do buttermilk brined chicken every week but as @GrillSgt said i rinse, dry and let the skin dry in the fridge prior to cooking.  we mainly do chicken thighs but have done wings with good results.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• RRP said:
    Water is a polar molecule. One end attracts the chloride ion and the other end attracts the sodium ion, which is why salt crystals dissolve in water. It doesn’t matter it you use canning salt or Halite, it's all NaCl so it will all dissolve. 
    And nothing will drag "in" any buttermilk taste. Salt is one of the few molecules that are small enough to move through cell walls to actually get inside the meat. Everything else stays on the outside. The benefit of buttermilk is that it has acid (lactic), fat, and water. The acid and fat work on the outside of the meat while the water carries the salt inside. 
  • GrillSgt
    So explain how the the chicken has heat and a decent amount of chili flavor when I use hot sauce with my buttermilk brine. Generally Texas Pete. I'm not arguing, just curious.
  • GrillSgt said:
    So explain how the the chicken has heat and a decent amount of chili flavor when I use hot sauce with my buttermilk brine. Generally Texas Pete. I'm not arguing, just curious.
    it's on the outside of the meat. 
  • GrillSgt said:
    Image result for skeptical images
    you cannot meme away science but knock yourself out trying. I've spent a lot of time reading up on this and putting it into practice but Skeptical Carlton is probably right. 
  • GrillSgt said:
    Image result for skeptical images

Read this. It explains it better than I can. Long story short, salt and water are about the only things small enough to move through the cells of meat. sugar can to a degree but takes days where salt takes hours. Everything else sits on top of the meat and may get into the Little cracks and crevasses on the meat. The spicy part of peppers is capsaicin which is huge compared to a salt molecule. Way too big to move between cell walls like a tiny salt molecule.

Now, why can you taste the heat even after rinsing? Capsaicin is also part of an oil that the pepper uses as an irritant to (allegedly) keep mammals from eating them. This is why drinking water does not help when you eat a spicy pepper- the oil sticks to your tongue and water has no affect (pro tip- eat chips or bread to help if you have volcano mouth from peppers). So Even if you rinse your meat after a brine with pepper oils in it, unless you scrub, some of the oil will remain on the surface. 

Hope this helps:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/marinades-and-brinerades/secrets-and-myths-marinades-brinerades-and-how-gashing-can

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    I've been using Bobby Flay's buttermilk chicken recipe for a few years and I love it -

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/buttermilk-southwestern-grilled-chicken-recipe-1957863

I do let the chicken marinate in the bag for at least 24 hours.  In my experience, anything less than that isn't worth it.  I also put more cumin and garlic in there than what is called for.  Because.

I also have never rinsed or even pat dry the chicken, even thought it says to in his recipe.  I just shake the excess buttermilk off, toss some Famous Dave's chicken rub on the chicken and toss it on the Egg.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @YEMTrey I had a cassette copy of that album
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I have a spatchcock chicken swimming in buttermilk now. I plan on roasting it in the wood oven tomorrow night. I plan to try baking some dressing in a pie pumpkin also. This will be a mini dress rehersal for a possible holiday meal. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NDG
    Great Stuff . . love this forum - thanks for the link @The Cen-Tex Smoker  . . It makes sense & nice read.  
    Columbus, OH

• GrillSgt
    Finally got the time to read it. Thanks.
  • GrillSgt
    Personally I find 24 hrs way too long for a buttermilk brine. Meat gets damn mushy.
  • NDG
    Mushy Meat SERGEANT ???  Unacceptable, complete Bravo Sierra (BS) !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    I got Chank Thighs now . . . was going to do the CHEFS STEP fried chicken this sunday (he brines in pickle juice during Sous Vide) but now think I am going to do a Buttermilk Brine & skip the Sous Vide.  Plan to fry outside using induction burner.  Good idea? 

I will try to post here in this thread.
    Columbus, OH

• NDG said:
    I got Chank Thighs now . . . was going to do the CHEFS STEP fried chicken this sunday (he brines in pickle juice during Sous Vide) but now think I am going to do a Buttermilk Brine & skip the Sous Vide.  Plan to fry outside using induction burner.  Good idea? 

I would do the buttermilk brine then follow chef steps if it were me. SV fried chicken is fantastic. 
  • NDG
    NDG said:

I would do the buttermilk brine then follow chef steps if it were me. SV fried chicken is fantastic. 
    Perfect - I will do exactly that.
    Columbus, OH

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Many moons ago I had a part time job working at KFC across the Pond.  Vaguely recall the process... band saw each bird into 9 pieces, short soak in buttermilk, coat with flour+secret recipe, deep fry in pressure cooker. I would only eat fresh fried chicken! Wondering how it's done these days.
    canuckland
  • I made it. It’s amazing. I’ll never do it any other way. 
    That’s a mighty powerful endorsement. 

Link?!

(Please tag me on response, if at all possible.)
  • NDG
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker. Got 3 lbs of thighs in buttermilk brine . . I’ll probably do half as Sv/fry and grill others later.  My question is moving from this brine to SV.  Best to rinse 100% and vac seal dry before the SV cook?

Columbus, OH