Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Porta

Options
Anyone use the Pizza Porta accessory ?  I made pizza before this gadget, but, I like gadgets....But, it is a neat way to cook and entertain.  Got a good deal on it from local BGE dealer.  Check out the pics!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I've always thought they were cool but never used one. I think if I went back to cooking pizza on my bge I would have one for sure. 

Nice looking pies!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have seen them in action at an Eggfest and they put out some good pizzas.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    On the XL I only have to cook two pies for my wife and I. So while it may be a little faster to use the Porta it is not worth it. If I really needed to crank out several pizzas quickly I would consider a Roccbox.
  • smittydog27
    Options
  • Plutonium
    Options
    Pretty interesting. I now see that you run it with the cap on, so the dome has less moving air and maintains heat. This is pretty slick, maybe I'll get one and give it a shot. 

Is it easier to balance dome and stone temperature than a traditional setup?
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• mtasker
    Options
    i  would like to make more pizza's, but mine turn out smokey.
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Had no idea this existed! I was thinking to my self the other night on how to accomplish this very thing!
    Pratt, KS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    I almost pulled the trigger on one but restrained myself.  If you don't mind drilling a few holes it can be modified to accommodate a regular rotisserie, you'll have to plug those holes for pizza cook I suppose.
    canuckland
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    my biggest problem with making pizzas on my large egg is that I do so high in the dome to increase radiant heat intensity off the dome, but by doing so i end up with the center of the pie not being melty due to the top vent either being removed or open nearly completely usually....
    Pratt, KS
  • GGrillin'
    Options
    I really like mine.  Makes great pies.

Gil Gowing 
    Clermont, FL
    Large BGE - MiniMax BGE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    GGrillin' said:

Nice set up, and pies.  I'm not sure my grilling counters have every been as clean as yours.  In AZ, if you wipe them and blink, you can write your name in the dust.

Phoenix 
  • smittydog27
    Options
    Nice set up GGrillin.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think it's a pretty good tool for maintaining consistent conditions inside of the Egg for cooking pizzas.  Even though the company nominally advertises it for "Neapolitan style" pies, when I've seen them cooking with this at Eggfests, they're running at around 700F at most.   Any higher and you’re just burning through the lump way too quickly.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • smittydog27
    Options
    I use Rockwood lump...have to burn out the old cooks (grease left behind) first to get rid of the residual smoke problem.  Sometimes it takes me an hour or so of high heat.....but I also like to cook my pies around 650 degrees.  Have to leave top off until I get that temp going.  Once at temp, I put in the pizza porta and cap the top.  Use side vent (usually wide open) to adjust heat.  But like I said, I cook hot and quick.  Use platesetter (legs down) then put cooking grid on platesetter.  Then put pizza stone on top of grid.  That way your crust won't burn on bottom.  Also use semolina flour as dusting. 
  • smittydog27
    Options
    I would NOT cut holes in the side for rotisserie attachment...This Porta is a work of art.  Very nice design and fits tight.  I use my Weber performer for rotisserie duty.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I think it's a pretty good tool for maintaining consistent conditions inside of the Egg for cooking pizzas.  Even though the company nominally advertises it for "Neapolitan style" pies, when I've seen them cooking with this at Eggfests, they're running at around 700F at most.   Any higher and you’re just burning through the lump way too quickly.  

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• smittydog27
    Options
    Sorry....Weber in action...
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Hahaha.  The thing is, it actually does make a difference.  But some folks prefer what you can get off of this, which is more ideally a NY-style than Neapolitan, and I get that.
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I heard about this in a bbq podcast. Figured I’ve give it a shot as I make about 9 pizzas when I do them. Problem I’ve always had is that the Stone gets too hot after 4-5 pizza’s and I’d pull out a 500 degree stone to let it cool for a few moments. That’s not a good idea!
    Long story short is that this thing works. Keeps an even temperature on the stone and dome for the entire time. I didn’t overcook one pie on the bottom. I’m hooked on it.

The setup is a bit wonky but once it’s in its all good. Sorta like with the Egg itself, you gotta learn what your doing. 

Bottom line. If you only make up to 3-4 pizzas I wouldn’t get it. Any more and this thing is perfect. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Are they still like $300?  For that money buy an Ooni.  
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    They are just under $300. I'm sure the Ooni makes an outstanding pizza but this gives one more reason to use the egg. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Deluca said:
    They are just under $300. I'm sure the Ooni makes an outstanding pizza but this gives one more reason to use the egg. 
    The BGE is a versatile, all-around cooker.  I love using it for all sorts of things.  But what you learn over time is that it's not the best option for any one thing in particular, with perhaps a few exceptions.

Pizza is one of those items where the product from a dedicated pizza cooker just has a much bigger upside.  You can ask anyone here who has spent years cooking pies on the BGE and then moved to a dedicated pizza oven what their experience has been.  You'll hear the same story over and over again.  

I actually think the Pizza Porta is a pretty clever add-on, but it's just priced too high in my opinion.  For example, the $300 Ooni will let you easily cook pies at 900F.  You can try this with the Porta but what you'll quickly discover is that you go through lump very fast.  Even the Pizza Porta people don't recommend cooking pies at those temps with their device.  

• smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100
    Options
    I still use and like my pizza porta.  I don't need another dedicated cooking device, at least that is what my wife tells me.  I cook around 700-800 and everything is just dandy.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I still use and like my pizza porta.  I don't need another dedicated cooking device, at least that is what my wife tells me.  I cook around 700-800 and everything is just dandy.
    My comment was directed at people who might be deciding between the Porta and a dedicated pizza oven, not folks who already own a Porta.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Deluca said:
    The BGE is a versatile, all-around cooker.  I love using it for all sorts of things.  But what you learn over time is that it's not the best option for any one thing in particular, with perhaps a few exceptions.

Pizza is one of those items where the product from a dedicated pizza cooker just has a much bigger upside.  You can ask anyone here who has spent years cooking pies on the BGE and then moved to a dedicated pizza oven what their experience has been.  You'll hear the same story over and over again.  

I actually think the Pizza Porta is a pretty clever add-on, but it's just priced too high in my opinion.  For example, the $300 Ooni will let you easily cook pies at 900F.  You can try this with the Porta but what you'll quickly discover is that you go through lump very fast.  Even the Pizza Porta people don't recommend cooking pies at those temps with their device.  

👆yes

Options
    Deluca said:

Man truer words were never spoken.  It is the most versatile cooker I’ve ever had, but really in my arsenal it’s only the ‘best’ choice for low/slow, anything else I do I’ve got a better cooker for, & I’ve only got a Kettle & a Blackstone pizza oven.  I suspect if I had a stick burner of some sort that would render the Egg obsolete as I’ve never thought it delivered the best smoke flavor. 

Did make a tasty cast iron pie on Sunday though, I'll never get rid of it   =)

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Before I built my redneck Joetisserie and bought my Adore pizza oven from Italy, I almost bought a Pizza Porta, with the intention of modifying it to double duty as Joetisserie. The biggest challenge of diy Joetisserie is the wedge shaped enclosure and Pizza Porta has it already made.

btw, here's my redneck hack...

canuckland
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I thought  this is what you were talking about. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser