Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pizza Porta

Anyone use the Pizza Porta accessory ?  I made pizza before this gadget, but, I like gadgets....But, it is a neat way to cook and entertain.  Got a good deal on it from local BGE dealer.  Check out the pics!

Comments

• oops...

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 18,373
    edited November 8
    I've always thought they were cool but never used one. I think if I went back to cooking pizza on my bge I would have one for sure. 

Nice looking pies!
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 8,482
    I have seen them in action at an Eggfest and they put out some good pizzas.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dstearndstearn Posts: 1,270
    On the XL I only have to cook two pies for my wife and I. So while it may be a little faster to use the Porta it is not worth it. If I really needed to crank out several pizzas quickly I would consider a Roccbox.
  • Thanks....
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Posts: 135
    Pretty interesting. I now see that you run it with the cap on, so the dome has less moving air and maintains heat. This is pretty slick, maybe I'll get one and give it a shot. 

Is it easier to balance dome and stone temperature than a traditional setup?
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• mtaskermtasker Posts: 71
    i  would like to make more pizza's, but mine turn out smokey.
  • MattBTIMattBTI Posts: 364
    Had no idea this existed! I was thinking to my self the other night on how to accomplish this very thing!
    Pratt, KS
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,391
    I almost pulled the trigger on one but restrained myself.  If you don't mind drilling a few holes it can be modified to accommodate a regular rotisserie, you'll have to plug those holes for pizza cook I suppose.
    canuckland
  • MattBTIMattBTI Posts: 364
    my biggest problem with making pizzas on my large egg is that I do so high in the dome to increase radiant heat intensity off the dome, but by doing so i end up with the center of the pie not being melty due to the top vent either being removed or open nearly completely usually....
    Pratt, KS
  • GGrillin'GGrillin' Posts: 60
    I really like mine.  Makes great pies.

Gil Gowing 
    Clermont, FL
    Large BGE - MiniMax BGE
  • blastingblasting Posts: 6,019
    GGrillin' said:

Nice set up, and pies.  I'm not sure my grilling counters have every been as clean as yours.  In AZ, if you wipe them and blink, you can write your name in the dust.

Phoenix 
  • Nice set up GGrillin.
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 13,094
    I think it's a pretty good tool for maintaining consistent conditions inside of the Egg for cooking pizzas.  Even though the company nominally advertises it for "Neapolitan style" pies, when I've seen them cooking with this at Eggfests, they're running at around 700F at most.   Any higher and you’re just burning through the lump way too quickly.  
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• I use Rockwood lump...have to burn out the old cooks (grease left behind) first to get rid of the residual smoke problem.  Sometimes it takes me an hour or so of high heat.....but I also like to cook my pies around 650 degrees.  Have to leave top off until I get that temp going.  Once at temp, I put in the pizza porta and cap the top.  Use side vent (usually wide open) to adjust heat.  But like I said, I cook hot and quick.  Use platesetter (legs down) then put cooking grid on platesetter.  Then put pizza stone on top of grid.  That way your crust won't burn on bottom.  Also use semolina flour as dusting. 
  • I would NOT cut holes in the side for rotisserie attachment...This Porta is a work of art.  Very nice design and fits tight.  I use my Weber performer for rotisserie duty.
  • I think it's a pretty good tool for maintaining consistent conditions inside of the Egg for cooking pizzas.  Even though the company nominally advertises it for "Neapolitan style" pies, when I've seen them cooking with this at Eggfests, they're running at around 700F at most.   Any higher and you’re just burning through the lump way too quickly.  

South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • Sorry....Weber in action...
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 13,094
    I think it's a pretty good tool for maintaining consistent conditions inside of the Egg for cooking pizzas.  Even though the company nominally advertises it for "Neapolitan style" pies, when I've seen them cooking with this at Eggfests, they're running at around 700F at most.   Any higher and you’re just burning through the lump way too quickly.  

Hahaha.  The thing is, it actually does make a difference.  But some folks prefer what you can get off of this, which is more ideally a NY-style than Neapolitan, and I get that.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike