Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rEGGulator in the wild

Options
NCSmoky
NCSmoky Posts: 515
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
So these just came in and thought I would post some pictures for those interested. First I have seen non PR shots

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Thanks...not what i had recalled from earlier rumblings of the changes.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    we went over the new reggulator and other tops in last week's facebook live show, you can catch it on our ceramic grill store facebook page.  Today, we're doing the new band kit and few other things.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Looks earthshatteringly innovative! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Well at least it does not look like a smokeware cap.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NavalAV8R
    Options
    reinhart36  - you were asking about measurements of the new cap as I recall.
    North Augusta, SC
    LBGE, offset smoker
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Green egg has the community. But damn if they are getting beat by Kamado Joe on everything else. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Smobot fits the new DFMT design? @reinhart36

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Any 1 got a price for the new cap??   
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy you’re right on the money.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    g37 said:
    Any 1 got a price for the new cap??   
    My dealer has $49 on the cap and $29 on rain cover (ymmv)
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    Meh... Smokeware cap for $35-40 sounds a heck of a lot better 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    @NCSmoky thanks for the update. I have smokeware cap but I wouldn’t mind trying out the new cap also.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • jcostom
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I’ve had all 3 types of cap. The daisy wheel? Didn’t like the changing settings every time the dome gets opened. At least it didn’t get stuck all the time.

The Smokeware cap? You’ve got to keep cleaning it to keep it from being next to impossible to rotate while cold, due to build up inside. Too often, if I’m honest. Love the cover from the elements, hated the fact that it’s prone to being stuck so much.

The rEGGulator with cap? Best of both, IMHO. Seasoned cast iron, so it’s not a rust bucket instantly. Stays where you set it, no matter how much you open and close the dome. Not showing any signs of getting gummed up yet, and with the rain cap, keeps the elements off the food.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    jcostom said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I’ve had all 3 types of cap. The daisy wheel? Didn’t like the changing settings every time the dome gets opened. At least it didn’t get stuck all the time.

The Smokeware cap? You’ve got to keep cleaning it to keep it from being next to impossible to rotate while cold, due to build up inside. Too often, if I’m honest. Love the cover from the elements, hated the fact that it’s prone to being stuck so much.

The rEGGulator with cap? Best of both, IMHO. Seasoned cast iron, so it’s not a rust bucket instantly. Stays where you set it, no matter how much you open and close the dome. Not showing any signs of getting gummed up yet, and with the rain cap, keeps the elements off the food.
    My smokeware (first version) has never stuck, and I never clean it.  Of course, it never really gets cold here either.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    jcostom said:

@jcostom if you do it right, the DFMT setting won't change no matter how many times you open the dome. Just align it so that an imaginary line connecting the two screws is perpendicular to the handle. When you open the dome, it just hangs there.

This pic from Big Green Craig (I think)...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tjv said:
    we went over the new reggulator and other tops in last week's facebook live show, you can catch it on our ceramic grill store facebook page.  Today, we're doing the new band kit and few other things.  

t
    love seeing these- very good idea. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

BGE has an army of followers who would jump on any new innovative product and, yet they keep phoning it in.  

Before this cap, BGE was in 3rd place behind Smokeware and KJ.  With all the time BGE took to come up with something better, how do they release a product that still has them in 3rd place??

Phoenix 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    This looks better than a smokeware. I currently use a smokeware. It’s not amazing in my opinion. And the kJ kontrol tower loses its paint over time and looks like crap. Not too impressed there either. I like this simple solution. It works. But the daisy wheel is awesome in its own right to be honest. I never understand how people lose their vent setting if they just use it right. Not hard. 
  • Jparks8470
    Options
    rEGGulator very difficult to open.  Any suggestions? 

• JustBuggin
    Options
    Mine does that if the grease gets too built up. I light as normal then close the lid for a couple minutes and it will slide open fine.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I cannibalized my dfmt for use with the smobot. bought a reggulator to replace it. After a year of hitting the stuck reggulator, pushing the rubber piece back on and holding it with two hands to adjust, I am going to see if the smobot will fit on the reggulator and reassemble the dfmt. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    jcostom said:
    ColtsFan said:

I've had my Smokeware cap for about 3+ years, cleaned it for the first time this past spring...live in Wisconsin so it gets chilly in the winter with a few bursts of cold now and then, but never really had an issue with it getting stuck to the point that I cleaned it.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Saw my post from two years ago rereading this thread. Times have changed for me and I absolutely love the reggulator over the daisy wheel, and way more than my old smokeware. I have it on all my eggs now.  Luckily I haven’t had an issue with them getting stuck yet. Pic from a cook last week using it on one of the larges.