Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

rEGGulator in the wild

NCSmokyNCSmoky Posts: 268
edited November 6 in EggHead Forum
So these just came in and thought I would post some pictures for those interested. First I have seen non PR shots

Charlotte  NC - XL LG Med Mini MM 

Comments

• northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 11,327
    Thanks...not what i had recalled from earlier rumblings of the changes.
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,785
    we went over the new reggulator and other tops in last week's facebook live show, you can catch it on our ceramic grill store facebook page.  Today, we're doing the new band kit and few other things.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Looks earthshatteringly innovative! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • Well at least it does not look like a smokeware cap.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • NavalAV8RNavalAV8R Posts: 17
    reinhart36  - you were asking about measurements of the new cap as I recall.
    North Augusta, SC
    LBGE, offset smoker
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,914
    edited November 6
    Green egg has the community. But damn if they are getting beat by Kamado Joe on everything else. 
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, 2 UDS, Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, BlueStar 60" Range, Bluestar Salamander
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 13,492
    Does anyone know if the Smobot fits the new DFMT design? @reinhart36

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• g37g37 Posts: 367
    Any 1 got a price for the new cap??   
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • ryanttryantt Posts: 1,350
    @Thatgrimguy you’re right on the money.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2
    Massillon Ohio 

• NCSmokyNCSmoky Posts: 268
    g37 said:
    Any 1 got a price for the new cap??   
    My dealer has $49 on the cap and $29 on rain cover (ymmv)
    Charlotte  NC - XL LG Med Mini MM 
  • ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 2,363
    Meh... Smokeware cap for $35-40 sounds a heck of a lot better 
    XL BGE, 2-LG BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • g37g37 Posts: 367
    @NCSmoky thanks for the update. I have smokeware cap but I wouldn’t mind trying out the new cap also.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • jcostomjcostom Posts: 4
    ColtsFan said:
    I’ve had all 3 types of cap. The daisy wheel? Didn’t like the changing settings every time the dome gets opened. At least it didn’t get stuck all the time.

The Smokeware cap? You’ve got to keep cleaning it to keep it from being next to impossible to rotate while cold, due to build up inside. Too often, if I’m honest. Love the cover from the elements, hated the fact that it’s prone to being stuck so much.

The rEGGulator with cap? Best of both, IMHO. Seasoned cast iron, so it’s not a rust bucket instantly. Stays where you set it, no matter how much you open and close the dome. Not showing any signs of getting gummed up yet, and with the rain cap, keeps the elements off the food.
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,672
    jcostom said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I’ve had all 3 types of cap. The daisy wheel? Didn’t like the changing settings every time the dome gets opened. At least it didn’t get stuck all the time.

The Smokeware cap? You’ve got to keep cleaning it to keep it from being next to impossible to rotate while cold, due to build up inside. Too often, if I’m honest. Love the cover from the elements, hated the fact that it’s prone to being stuck so much.

The rEGGulator with cap? Best of both, IMHO. Seasoned cast iron, so it’s not a rust bucket instantly. Stays where you set it, no matter how much you open and close the dome. Not showing any signs of getting gummed up yet, and with the rain cap, keeps the elements off the food.
    My smokeware (first version) has never stuck, and I never clean it.  Of course, it never really gets cold here either.
    NOLA
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 13,492
    jcostom said:

@jcostom if you do it right, the DFMT setting won't change no matter how many times you open the dome. Just align it so that an imaginary line connecting the two screws is perpendicular to the handle. When you open the dome, it just hangs there.

This pic from Big Green Craig (I think)...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tjv said:
    we went over the new reggulator and other tops in last week's facebook live show, you can catch it on our ceramic grill store facebook page.  Today, we're doing the new band kit and few other things.  

t
    love seeing these- very good idea. 
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • blastingblasting Posts: 5,959

BGE has an army of followers who would jump on any new innovative product and, yet they keep phoning it in.  

Before this cap, BGE was in 3rd place behind Smokeware and KJ.  With all the time BGE took to come up with something better, how do they release a product that still has them in 3rd place??

Phoenix 
  • cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 1,764
    This looks better than a smokeware. I currently use a smokeware. It’s not amazing in my opinion. And the kJ kontrol tower loses its paint over time and looks like crap. Not too impressed there either. I like this simple solution. It works. But the daisy wheel is awesome in its own right to be honest. I never understand how people lose their vent setting if they just use it right. Not hard. 

John - SLC, UT

2 XLs, Large, Medium, MM, and Mini