Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven - Pigs in the cornfield

Options
I havent had the camp DO out since this summer at the beach when we did a shrimp boil so its been calling me. I’ve been wanting to make Pigs in the Cornfield. Here it is:

All the ingredients assembled:

Smear some CoM soup in the bottom and line up the “cornfield”:

Dump in the potatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeños, season with SPG:

Add pork sausage and pork sausage:

Put cheese soup on top of this then I used boneless pork ribs to top everything off. Dusted with some rub and more CoM soup. 

8-9 coals on the bottom, 16-17 on top will give me 350. It will cook for an hour like this, then I will turn the ribs over and refresh the coals for one more hour. 

Stay tuned...
Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    For sheer greatness and an all around great job my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Well, that's something I've never seen before.
    Standing by to see the outcome.
  • gonepostal
    Options
    Very interesting and something i've never seen before also. Looking forward to the finished pics but know without a doubt that i would crush that meal...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    For sheer greatness and an all around great job my friend. 

Thank you sir! I am honored
    Charlotte, NC

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Like!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love this cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Should be good, but I think I would have used my Instant Pot. Done in 30 minutes. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This did not disappoint! 
    No doubt brother. It looks fantastic. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    All I can say is wow, that looks fabulous. What a cool, adventurous cook.
    Stillwater, MN
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    This did not disappoint! 
    No doubt brother. It looks fantastic. 
    Thanks Scottie, it was awesome!
    Charlotte, NC

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Looks great!
    Thanks Brent!
    Charlotte, NC

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    All I can say is wow, that looks fabulous. What a cool, adventurous cook.
    Thanks!  No temp controllers, thermometers, or vent settings necessary! It’s amazing how counting the proper number of coals gets you dialed in with the temp needed. 
    Charlotte, NC

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Very cool.  I love cooks like this!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    Thanks John! I had fun with it. 
    Charlotte, NC

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’d chow on that big time!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks wonderful. I still love to cook in my camp ovens occasionally. They can crank out great food as you have just demonstrated. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    @Mattman3969, @SciAggie, thanks guys. It’s definitely a fun cook. Anyone who has car camped with the Scouts knows the value of a good camp DO. I can cook a killer pork butt in one of these too. Haven’t tried pizza yet!
    Charlotte, NC

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @Mattman3969, @SciAggie, thanks guys. It’s definitely a fun cook. Anyone who has car camped with the Scouts knows the value of a good camp DO. I can cook a killer pork butt in one of these too. Haven’t tried pizza yet!
    Buddy of mine used to bake cakes in a DO over a campfire. Outstanding!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Buddy of mine used to bake cakes in a DO over a campfire. Outstanding!
    Once upon a time I cooked a chocolate merangue pie in one just to prove it could be done. My arguement was that they are ovens - and anything you can bake at home can be baked in a camp oven. Whipped the egg whites in a copper bowl by hand and the whole deal. I propably would not go to that much trouble again. Pecan pies on the other hand are easy and turn out beautiful. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    This did not disappoint! Notes for next time, maybe 1 less sausage link (I used 3), the corn was meh but I’m used to the good, fresh corn I usually eat all summer. Other than that, everything was awesome and the gravy it made was killer! Thanks for lookin’!

So freakin cool. And looks darn tasty. Thanks for sharing! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    This did not disappoint! Notes for next time, maybe 1 less sausage link (I used 3), the corn was meh but I’m used to the good, fresh corn I usually eat all summer. Other than that, everything was awesome and the gravy it made was killer! Thanks for lookin’!

So freakin cool. And looks darn tasty. Thanks for sharing! 
    Thanks @g@GATraveller!
    Charlotte, NC

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Really cool cook
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Wow!!  That looks awesome...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Never seen that. WOW!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Take a bow. 
    That is exactly what I need to do. I have done pot roasts, beef stew and chilis with with mine, and they are exceptional. I cam only imagine how good that meal must have been.
    Great presentation, looks delicious, thank you for posting this.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    @thetrim, @JohnnyTarheel, thanks guys!

@Mickey, I didn’t think this was all that uncommon but if you haven’t seen it before, then I guess it is. Thanks!
    Charlotte, NC