Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Non stick pan?

Options
I know this is an egg forum but figured it was a good place to ask. I’m in need of a new non-stick skillet and want something that’s going to last. What’s the best option?

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    A properly heated All Clad D5 skillet 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Good luck with your quest. I’m in the same boat as @Wolfpack I saw the non stick coming off in my food and trashed them. I do the calphlon pans and trash them when they die. 

But mostly I have a large cast iron I keep on the stove top and use now. It’s so seasoned now it takes me about 30 seconds to clean it every time I use it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited November 2018
    Options

So great for eggs.

NOLA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    I subscribe to the buy cheap and often thought process
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you want non stick get hard anodized. I have some from analon it’s their allure series that I have been using for 10 plus years and the only ones with issues are the ones my wife uses metal utensils in. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    A properly heated All Clad D5 skillet 

That’s easy with eggs but try something like home fries in them. I have my 11” d5 on the stove right now with water boiling in it to get all the stick on potato off. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Keep any non-stick out of the dishwasher and it will last a LONG time!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I tried one of those colorful, ceramic-coated frypans you see advertised on TV (got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond) and it worked just like on TV.  The first time. After a week, it worked as well as my former go-to, T-fals.  After a month, it went in the trash and I got another T-fal.  You do have to replace them eventually, although I get a lot more than just a year on mine (and they're a heck of a lot cheaper than a couple of the brands mentioned above).

Cook's Illustrated did a test on these things a couple years ago, and for longevity they cooked something 30 times, and then compared.  I wrote to them and said, "Hey, that's only a month's use for us bacon-n-eggs breakfast guys, that's not much of a test".  They never replied.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    I've been using a All Clad non-stick for probably 9 or 10 years.  Mostly for eggs, but some post-SV searing too.  SWMBO recently put it in the dishwasher and I thought it was a goner, but a little scrub with baking soda paste and some conditioning with canola oil and it seems good as new.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I switched to carbon steel last spring and I'm a believer.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    @Lowcountrygamecock - about two years ago, I ordered a T-fal nonstick from Amazon.  They sent me two.  I contacted them and they said to just keep them.  The second one is in my basement and still in the box.  If you want it, PM your address, and I’ll send it to you. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    A good nonstick pan has its place regardless of how many cast iron/carbon steel/copper/aluminum/etc. pots or pans one has.
    I tend to view a nonstick pan as disposable but the ones I've used seem to last a decade with proper care and temperature usage. Have no idea what the holy grail of nonstick pans is but the last couple that I have had are Anolon something or others.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Another vote for scanpan. My wife saw a demo at Sur La Table and bought one. Metal utensils and all, it still looks new after 2 years. 
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    All-Clad here.  Works fine and lasts a long time.  Also have a Scanpan wok...  another winner!!~~
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Cast iron .... when well seasoned. Use it all the time 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited November 2018
    Options
    We had used Calphalon cookware for years but replaced them with vintage cast iron when the coating deteriorated. As @unoriginalusername mentioned, well seasoned cast iron works great.

From my experience, the new products from Lodge won't work. Any of the vintage cast iron will work once you get a good slick seasoning. Griswold, Wagner Ware, Piqua, Birmingham Stove and Victor are all great choices that can be had for much cheaper than today's non-stick pans.

Nothing sticks to this one:

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Calphalon should be called Cr*phalon!!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    1voyager said:
    We had used Calphalon cookware for years but replaced them with vintage cast iron when the coating deteriorated. As @unoriginalusername mentioned, well seasoned cast iron works great.

From my experience, the new products from Lodge won't work. Any of the vintage cast iron will work once you get a good slick seasoning. Griswold, Wagner Ware, Piqua, Birmingham Stove and Victor are all great choices that can be had for much cheaper than today's non-stick pans.

Nothing sticks to this one:

That's a beauty.

Taking a sander to a new Lodge pan, prior to seasoning, helps a great deal to smooth out all the pits. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I’m a throw away when pitted guy. Bought a Green Pan at Bed Bath and Beyond $50. Purchased in January and it still looks new. I’m impressed so far. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Whatever you get, don't get a pan with screws in the handle 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    I cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts in my new Lodge skillet without them sticking... The "trick" is to heat the pan to temp (no, cast iron does not heat evenly - use your infrared thermometer to find the temp you want in the heated pan). Then I sprinkle non-iodized salt in the pan and place the paper towel surface dried meat in the pan. Cook until the meat lets loose, flip and repeat until IT is ~160*F. This same technique works with all other foods I've tried - steak, potatoes, scallops, fish, ... I tend to cook my over easy eggs in my carbon steel crepe pan because it's so non-stick at this point that it's a no-brainer. Non-stick skillets are a crutch that I don't need. YMMV, and I respect that.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I’m a throw away when pitted guy. Bought a Green Pan at Bed Bath and Beyond $50. Purchased in January and it still looks new. I’m impressed so far. 
    Hmm, mine were white; maybe I'll give the green one a try.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    It’s gray. Or grey. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I’m in need of a new non-stick skillet and want something that’s going to last. 

I would suggest adjusting your thinking to view non-stick skillets as having a short useful life.  I normally buy T-fal non-stick skillets. Cost is reasonable (around $30). I expect the pan to last maybe two years.  Get less expensive ones and plan on replacing them.

I do have a 7-8" T-fal non-stick that is many years old (lost track but its at least 10 years old) that is still in great shape.  It is my egg pan. It is used only for eggs, only low heat, never any metal utensils. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Lodge cast iron skillet, complete with pits, works wonderful, and has for over 10 years.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Lodge takes time to build up. I use a chainmail scrubber and that's about it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)