Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Another Lemming Joins The Crowd

@SGH,

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Awesome brother. Welcome aboard.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

The staying power of this shaving trend on a Q forum is pretty dang impressive.

You won't get me (#stubbleforlife), but I've got to hand it to you Scottie, this has been a lesson in persistence.

Phoenix 
  • Hey, it’s No Shave November now.
  • SGH
    blasting said:

The staying power of this shaving trend on a Q forum is pretty dang impressive.

You won't get me (#stubbleforlife), but I've got to hand it to you Scottie, this has been a lesson in persistence.

Thank you brother. And give me time, I will win you over. It’s only a matter of time and you will be posting your Muhle R41 =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Hey, it’s No Shave November now.
    Two problems with that:

- I can’t grow a beard or mustache to save my life
    - I am required to be clean shaven for work due to the need to wear a SCBA or respirator in an emergency at work. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SGH
    Hey, it’s No Shave November now.
    That is heresy  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I acquired my grandfather's brush a couple of years ago and went out and bought a single-blade butterfly safety razor and a box of 100 blades. Love the feel of brushing on the soap (rosewood soap dish) and fresh blade every few days. That box of 100 lasted almost 18 months and only cost $12.00.  

After using this > 50yr old brush for a couple of months, I decided to get a new one and displayed the vintage one cuz I think it is cool and the brush was getting thin in the middle.

BTW, I like your brush/blade stand. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    And here I am waking up on a Saturday relishing that fact that I don't have to shave for 2 days.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CTMike
    So I stupidly purchased from an Art of Shaving store. Paid $65 for a Merkur 34C that can be had most anywhere else for $40. Oh well, live and learn. 

I am now in the market for a Rosewood shaving bowl and a better brush - the one I purchased from AOS seems to be losing 10 - 20 bristles with every shave. Is this normal?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    It's not uncommon for a new brush to lose a few bristles, but that sounds excessive. I use this brush and it's been great.

VIKINGS BLADE Luxury Badger Brush, Heavy Swedish Alloy Base + Obsidian Acrylic, Dark Stallion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GDZJ4BQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kUB3BbQRY128V

Also, the 34C is solid. I suggest trying different blades to see what works best for you. I prefer feather, but this may be to aggressive for someone not used to DE shaving 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• It’s common for bristles to fall out of a new brush for the first few shaves; however, that does seem a bit excessive. How many shaves have you used your current brush for?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SGH
    @CTMike
    Here are few real good brushes that will not break the bank. From left to right:
    Vikings Blade, it’s the same brush that @ColtsFan posted above except it’s white instead of black.
    Parker Badger.
    Razorock Monster synthetic (if you like synthetics).
    The Vikings Blade Brush is one of my personal favorites. It has been used hundreds of times and lost very few hairs. To be honest, i think this brush is on par with brushes that cost ten times as much.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Here are a few examples of what the Vikings Blade brush is capable of. 

As you can clearly see, this brush is capable of producing massive peaks that are second to none. It leaves nothing to be desired.  

Status- Standing by.

• CTMike
    Thanks to you both for the brush recommendation, I will definitely check it out. 

My wife and I are spending the weekend up in Portland, ME and today we visited Freeport. Went in to Georgetown Pottery and picked up this scuttle and bowl. Nice that they had a 15% off sale going on. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • @sgh what soap are you using that’s giving that nice of a lather?
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    He might have a hard time remembering. 
    This is what he has just for easy access. The whole collection requires video from what I hear. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Sea2Ski said:
    He might have a hard time remembering. 
    This is what he has just for easy access. The whole collection requires video from what I hear. 

No Tabac? That's disappointing 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Haha, yes, since I don’t have @SGH money, I need to be directed toward the best shave soap for lathering. I currently use this, but the lather always ends up mediocre  
  • I guess I do have this one too, but I haven’t opened it yet (it’s more of a bar of soap):
  • Contents:
  • SGH
    edited November 2018
    @sgh what soap are you using that’s giving that nice of a lather?
    The great and powerful:

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Here is a little Tabac action from tonight. Just playing around with my new copper bowl. Wanted to see if it was up to snuff. 

I’m certainly no expert, but I would say it passed with flying colors. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited November 2018
    Contents:
    @NorthPilot06
     That is simply a “refill” puck. You can buy just about any shaving soap in a refill puck. This is simply to save the cost of rebuying a bowl/dish that you already have. I mostly order pucks as I already have several bowls and dishes. 
    Simply put in a bowl such as one of these:
    A empty shoe polish tin:

A empty soap jar that you already have such as this ceramic Tabac jar. 

A plastic food container from the Dollar Store that has a lid.  

Another porcelain glass soap dish from from MWF. 

Simply press the puck down into the dish. It should look something like this:

Pucks come in different sizes. If you have a small puck, any coffee cup or mug will work just fine. 
    Small puck in a cheap coffee cup. 

For the record, that’s actually a very good soap you have right there. Learn to properly lather it and you will be more than impressed my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @NorthPilot06
    If the green color don’t put you off, you can get these plastic soap dishes for about a buck online. Even comes with a screw on lid. 

Its the perfect size for “large” pucks. Here it is in the big hand for a size a reference.  

Status- Standing by.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    use a stainless handle and a 'standard' head (zinc / aluminum alloy).
    This is terrific.
    When I bought into the DE approach I bought 5 different sample packs of blades.
    By FAR the best / sharpest is the FEATHER blade.   

ALL soaps are basically the same.   Some kind of Oil, be it Olive oil or glycerin or whatever 'cooked' with Sodium or Potasium Chloride.   One makes a 'solid' the other a 'liquid' soap.  Add some essential oil for 'flavor'.  

I keep my blade in use, in a Great Pyramid model (pi shaped) when not in use.
    Flat side to True North and blade 1/3 the way up.....sharp edges parallel with East and West sides.  
  • Thanks @sgh. So is the idea to have two containers - one to hold the soap and another to create the lather in?  Or conversely, just one container and you create the lather on top of the bar of soap?
  • And if the latter, when you’re done shaving, just wash the rest of the lather off the puck down the drain?
  • One final thing that @sgh will appreciate - I went to the “boardroom” to get my hair cut yesterday. They had some nice accessories - recognize anything?
  • That looks pretty cool.  I go to a barber to get a straight razor shave once a week for my neck around my beard.  I haven’t shaved myself in over a year now.  If I ever decide to go that route again I’ll give this a go. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    Thanks @sgh. So is the idea to have two containers - one to hold the soap and another to create the lather in?  Or conversely, just one container and you create the lather on top of the bar of soap?
    You can do it either way. Some folks do what is called a puck lather. You place the puck in a mug, bowl or old time puck scuttle (depending on the size of the puck) and then lather right on top of the puck. Myself, I only puck lather with the “small” pucks and the real cheap soaps such as Williams. 
    Here is a small Williams puck blooming in a regular coffee cup. 

Here is a old time “puck scuttle” made for the small pucks. 

With that said, by far and large I prefer to bowl lather. Thus, for 99% of my soaps I have a container to store the soaps in and use a separate bowl to lather in. Simply load your brush with soap while it’s in the storage container and then build your lather in your dedicated lathering bowl.  
    Just a note, you can also bowl lather the small pucks if you so chose. Here is the same small Williams puck that it is pictured above. Simply load your brush with soap (in the mug) and then build your lather in a seperate bowl instead of in the mug on top of the puck. There are endless ways that you can lather. Not really a right or wrong way. Some folks palm lather, some face lather. Others puck/mug lather. Then there are those (myself included) that bowl lather. 

In the pic above, I simply soap loaded the brush in the mug and then moved to the bowl to build the lather. 

Status- Standing by.