Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    18 month old JRT started to develop a lot of lumps over the past few weeks.  Took her to the vet today.  Vet wants to do a biopsy tomorrow.  Fear is lymphoma.  Hoping it is something else, if it is lymphoma vet said with her size and age, not much can be done.
    Best of luck with the outcome. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    edited October 2018
    Wondering why @DoubleEgger s attempt to shame the sticky off the front page was not properly noted by the powers that be???  
    What are you talking about? 
    I thought you made reference to the ticket hocking for Eggtoberfest. My bad if I misinterpreted your intent. I hate the sticky’s 
    I did make a statement that I’d be glad when Sunday came so all of the threads about selling/looking for Eggtoberfest tickets would sink into the abyss. Every year there are a rash of new accounts peddling tickets. Did not make any statement in the sticky thread. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Working on an eggfest recipe. Results to follow this weekend. 

72 hour SV chuck roast to make fast work of poor mans burnt ends. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    johnnyp said:
    Working on an eggfest recipe. Results to follow this weekend. 

72 hour SV chuck roast to make fast work of poor mans burnt ends. 

Sounds like rich mans burnt ends. Chuck roast sells for a lot more than brisket around here. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    thetrim said:

When the time comes you will know it.  Sometimes we keep them around for us not them.  I put my big guy down in the kitchen eating Cindy's pound cake (his favorite)  crying like a baby .  If fact a little teary eyed just typing this. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Watching Jackie Bradley Jr’s grand slam against the Stros!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2018
    Watching Jackie Bradley Jr’s grand slam against the Stros!
    JBJ 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Yes sir!
    Charlotte, NC

• northGAcock
    Yes sir!
    Steve Pearce was also a former Gamecock. Love seeing these guys in college on on to contribute in big games. Go Sox.

• Jackie has been clutch in the last two games. That’s the thing about October baseball, you just never know who’s going to step up. The pendulum can also easily swing the other way, especially when playing a team as good as the Astros. That’s what makes late season baseball so exciting to watch. 
    Charlotte, NC

• northGAcock
    Jackie has been clutch in the last two games. That’s the thing about October baseball, you just never know who’s going to step up. The pendulum can also easily swing the other way, especially when playing a team as good as the Astros. That’s what makes late season baseball so exciting to watch. 

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Watching "Monty Python: Before the Flying Circus" on Netflix". Brought back memories of the programs that went before. Fun stuff; and yes, I am old enough to remember "TW3" and others.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    bgebrent said:
    Local Italian place that rocks.  Had veal chop parmigiana.  Omg.

Where is that?  Looks incredible.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    @GATraveller, it was!  Il Giallo in Sandy Springs just outside the perimeter off Roswell Rd. Never been disappointed.  Give it a try. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Awaiting some blood tests on the pup.  This will (should) tell the story.  She's still not eating, drinking very little. Very lethargic.  Shoving antibiotics down her throat is not a fun activity.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    bgebrent said:
    @GATraveller, it was!  Il Giallo in Sandy Springs just outside the perimeter off Roswell Rd. Never been disappointed.  Give it a try. 
    Will give it a go.  Thanks!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Just got back from Costco with 45lbs of pork butt. Cooking for my staff tonight for lunch tomorrow. First overnight cook. Fingers crossed. All advice is welcomed.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    edited October 2018
    Just got back from Costco with 45lbs of pork butt. Cooking for my staff tonight for lunch tomorrow. First overnight cook. Fingers crossed. All advice is welcomed.
    Just cook to Internal Temp.  Figuring you’re using an XL for that poundage?  I’d put a temp probe in the top tier of butt(s)...(since it cooks hotter up there), then once it reaches temp for pulling (195-200 deg F), take it off and FTC it, then place the temp probe in the bottom butt(s), then once those come to temp, FTC those too...  After a little while,they’re ready to pull. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    if you have never done that much pork in the egg, that much cold meat really throws off the temp probes for the first several hours. i remember chasing temps and not getting temp readings over 190 degrees before looking inside to see a 1000 degree fire. a bbq controller will chase temps so watch for that if using one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Wise advice from fishlessman. I get my egg to my target temp and make sure it rides there for an hour to hour and a half steady. Add butts, then dont touch the vents for a couple hours. Then you can tweak if it's going too high or low. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    thetrim said:
    Awaiting some blood tests on the pup.  This will (should) tell the story.  She's still not eating, drinking very little. Very lethargic.  Shoving antibiotics down her throat is not a fun activity.
    Sorry to hear. Have you tried putting the pill in a marshmallow?

Keep us updated please. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Sitting around waiting for a meeting to start.  Scheduled for 1-5...hopefully I won’t need to stay too late.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Avoiding packing the gravel base of the new sidewalk and doing the top layer...... 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    edited October 2018
    ColtsFan said:
    thetrim said:
    Sorry to hear. Have you tried putting the pill in a marshmallow?

Keep us updated please. 
    Not a marshmallow.  I hate to admit it, but we don't have nay in the house.

She would always take a pill with some cheese, but isn't eating hardly anything. 

We should know more this afternoon or tomorrow morning at the latest.  Vet didn't find anything alarming thru a physical exam and made us feel much more hopeful for a positive outcome.  Poor pup looks like she's on death's doorstep and has been a mess the last week or so.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • frazzdaddy
    if you have never done that much pork in the egg, that much cold meat really throws off the temp probes for the first several hours. i remember chasing temps and not getting temp readings over 190 degrees before looking inside to see a 1000 degree fire. a bbq controller will chase temps so watch for that if using one
    Wise advice from fishlessman. I get my egg to my target temp and make sure it rides there for an hour to hour and a half steady. Add butts, then dont touch the vents for a couple hours. Then you can tweak if it's going too high or low. 
    Thanks guys, I had a feeling the mass of meat would change things a bit. Was going to use some cherry wood ,but I know that can also mess with the temps.Thoughts on that? I'll post picts tomorrow.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    Dyal_SC said:
    Just cook to Internal Temp.  Figuring you’re using an XL for that poundage?  I’d put a temp probe in the top tier of butt(s)...(since it cooks hotter up there), then once it reaches temp for pulling (195-200 deg F), take it off and FTC it, then place the temp probe in the bottom butt(s), then once those come to temp, FTC those too...  After a little while,they’re ready to pull. 
    Good call, will do. Thanks man.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    edited October 2018
    It will be on the XL, Ball park idea on a round about cook time @ 225/250 dome?
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • GATraveller
    edited October 2018
    It will be on the XL, Ball park idea on a round about cook time @ 225/250 dome?
    Do yourself a favor and shoot for 265-300.  Especially if you aren't running a controller.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    for me i shoot for 14 hours with 7 to 8 pound butts but i cheat by either raising or lowering temps around the 10 hour mark. i try to run 235 to 250. with 45 pounds i would add a few hours just in case but i did two 8 pound briskets and two 8 pound butts in 0ne cook,  32 pounds total in a large with 14 hours on the butts and 12 hours on the flats
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it