Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hosting First Eggfest

Hi, We are new BGE Dealers and will be hosting an Eggfest in spring of 2019.  I have attended a couple of them but would love some feedback from not only those who have hosted them before, but from the eggheads.  What worked, what didn't  etc.  
The advise I get from our distributor is the best way to find out how to do it is to do it.  LOL

Thanks
Bloomington Indiana.  
XL egg and 6 other grills/smokers
Former KCBS competitor 062Que

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Keep the cost low if not free if possible. Napkins, plates, utensils, and trash bags are nice when given to cooks. It's nice having employees come around and ask if cooks need anything. A clean up area (soap/water) helps a ton between cooks and clean up. It's not necessarily needed but our local eggfest dealer gives cooks a "Thank You" gift card to the store at the end of the fest. A nice gesture as cooks spend their own money to support your company. Just a couple thought's on top of my head
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Where are you located?
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

Welcome to the forum and I hope that you have success as a dealer and with your event. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @Canugghead offered many solid tips, to which I would add this:

At the now defunct Space City Eggfest in Houston, the organizers partnered with local Boy Scouts to make sure the cooks had cold water and drinks at all times. Each site had a large trash can, which the roving Boy Scouts dutifully emptied throughout the hot humid day. 

Those boys provided a great service to the cooks, and I still remember it as one of the highlights of that fest. 

Also, a small goody bag is a great way to show appreciation for the cooks who put a fair bit of time, effort, and money into cooking for the masses 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Classes are an important element.  An Egging 101 session is especially nice for those considering a purchase.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Where are you? Put your city in your sig please. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks for the input so far. I am located in Bloomington Indiana.  I will work on the signature.
    Bloomington Indiana.  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,333
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the input so far. I am located in Bloomington Indiana.  I will work on the signature.
    Please get with me when this gets closer. I'd love to cook in it
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColtsFan said:
    Thanks for the input so far. I am located in Bloomington Indiana.  I will work on the signature.
    Please get with me when this gets closer. I'd love to cook in it
    Thanks, I certainly will 
    Bloomington Indiana.  
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Hey @Davidcarey85 please send me some I formation, I may be able to help out. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Salado, Best EGGFEST ever!
     Thanks Mickey, Leroy and Tony (Heavy Lifting and PBR) 👍
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Mickey said:
    Have a pre and post party for the cooks. Hell, the Fest was just the reason for the pre and post party (that is where all the fun is). 

Sure did feel like that. The actual fest seemed like a break to sober up and cook a little, so we could hit it again afterwards :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    caliking said:
    Mickey said:
    Have a pre and post party for the cooks. Hell, the Fest was just the reason for the pre and post party (that is where all the fun is). 

Sure did feel like that. The actual fest seemed like a break to sober up and cook a little, so we could hit it again afterwards :smiley:
    Yep.  If you want to build a loyal following among your cooks - do this.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• It would be nice to have a meet & greet Friday evening and a after party Sat. evening
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    My two cents, cribbing heavily from prior comments.

Venue
    • Find a nice park
    • Consider parking distance to cook tents, as most cooks haul a lot w them, and parking by their cook tent is a plus (though not always possible)
    • Provide pop ups for the cooks (at least one) unless it is in a big covered area (a la Salado)
    Eggs and giveaways
    • Follow @Mickey’s advice - He always had fun stuff and kept eveyone engaged
    • Also, be ready w metal trash cans, shovels and fire gloves to empty the fires out of the eggs so they can get loaded

Handling cooks
    • Boy Scouts (or Girl Scouts) hauling trash and bringing water is awesome
    • Wash stations are a great idea - we always BYO, but it would be much easier if one was available
    • I find it offensive that some eggfests charge cooks, and will never go to one that does
    • On the other hand, I don’t need a massive goody bag to be happy. Trash hauling and cold water is worth more to me than another box of fire starters 
    • @Mickey was also the gold standard for pre and post game parties
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Kind of reminds me of my old kCBS days...the competition was just an excuse to break out the ABT and Barley Pop LOL  
    Thanks everyone for your great suggestions.  
    Bloomington Indiana.  
  • ColtsFan
    is Mark Syoen your BGE rep?

• I wish we had more eggfests in Upstate SC. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Helped with the EggFest in Athens TX.  It takes a lot of effort to host one of these events.   Make sure your distributor will be there to support the effort too.  Pamper your cooks as best you can. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • ColtsFan said:
    Yes He is.  I take it you know Mark?
    Bloomington Indiana.  
  • ColtsFan
    edited October 2018
    ColtsFan said:
    I met him at Sullivan's Eggfest this year and then cooked with him at an EggFest in Martinsville a few weeks ago.

He should be able to give you some sound advice too

Great guy!

• ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I met him at Sullivan's Eggfest this year and then cooked with him at an EggFest in Martinsville a few weeks ago.

Great guy!
    I was at Sullivan's checking it out.  What did you cook?  I am sure I ate it LOL  Never trust a big guy to turn down food
    Bloomington Indiana.  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:

Great guy!
    I was at Sullivan's checking it out.  What did you cook?  I am sure I ate it LOL  Never trust a big guy to turn down food
    LOL. I hear you. We were the first booth on the left under the big tent. Reppin the JJGeorge banner. We had 2 XL's and 2 LG rocking and rolling.

Served scotch eggs, chicken thigh tacos with Alabama white sauce and wrapped up with wings.

Thats me in the IU hat on the right and @Kent8621on the left. His buddy in the middle

• Oh yea..those scotch eggs were awesome.  I look forward to you stopping by the shop someday.  Our first Egg order shows up Friday...along with my personal egg...so I am dying to fire that beast up this weekend.  
    Bloomington Indiana.  
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    @Davidcarey85 We'll be holding our 14th Eggfest (DizzyFest) in May. It is a lot of work, but we get better at it every time. Three things have to come together to make it successful. EGG sales, getting good cook teams, and getting tasters. Have a good plan for each.

We're happy to answer any questions you have if you give us a shout
    Best of luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • @Nature Boy  Thank you so much, I will certainly reach out.

Bloomington Indiana.