Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Houston Restaurants- OT

I'll be in Houston in December for a week.

Can I get some Best BBQ and Best Seafood restaurant suggestions?

Thanks !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    If Money isnt a worry this is an iconic Houston top resturaunt
    www.brennanshouston.com

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Skip the BBQ in Houston. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Skip the BBQ in Houston. 
    Agree for the most part but this place is worth checking out just a few miles south west.
    https://www.killensbarbecue.com
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    What area of Houston will you be visiting?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Corkscrew in Spring, lunch only if you are on the north side
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • Brenner's is better than Brennons
  • Photo Egg
    Corkscrew in Spring, lunch only if you are on the north side
    Agree, great place for lunch.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    edited September 2018
    This is actually a fair list of places. Not saying they are all great or to your taste but has some great info about each place.
    https://houston.eater.com/maps/best-houston-restaurants-38
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • For BBQ, Pinkerton's Texas Pit BBQ on Airline Drive,  Killen's BBQ in Pearland or the Tejas Chocolate Craftory in Tomball. The brisket and the Beef ribs are as good as it gets. Sides are great at all of them.
    For Seafood, hard to beat Pappadeaux's.

Willis Tx.
  • Photo Egg
    Popsicle said:
    For BBQ, Pinkerton's Texas Pit BBQ on Airline Drive,  Killen's BBQ in Pearland or the Tejas Chocolate Craftory in Tomball. The brisket and the Beef ribs are as good as it gets. Sides are great at all of them.
    For Seafood, hard to beat Pappadeaux's.

Great to see you on the forum...
    Tejas Chocolate Craftory in Tomball is on our list as well.
    We might need to meet you there soon. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Would love to meet. Give us a holler.
    Hope your sale went well.
    Willis Tx.
  • Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    First, Houston has a lot of great food beyond BBQ and seafood, and here are a few ideas

Best BBQ (there are now lots of choices, so, subgroups):

Best in the area according to Texas Monthly (neither of which I have tried)
    - Texas Chocolate Factory
    - Corkscrew

Note, both of these are a little hike from downtown

Best BBQ I’ve eaten in Houston
    - Pinkertons
    - Killens

Other hot tips
    - Blood Brothers BBQ - They have been my favorite but are a pop up.  They are doing a brick and morter which may be open when you come. I really like these guys
    - Feges BBQ - I’ve had his Q, which is great, before he got this open, and It’s good stuff. Also, it is nestled into a corporate food court, which is an odd twist
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    This can be really varied, depending on your taste, and propensity to spend money, so I will hit a range here.

My go to when we lived there for casual fantastic food (and they cook fish very well) - Pass + Provisions

More sushi/Asian
    Kata Robata
    Uchi

Old school Gulf Coast seafood
    Goode Company Seafood on Westpark (others may have better recs here, but I’ve been going there for years and have always been happy)

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Other things you might try:
    Viet Cajun crawfish - Crawfish and Noodles is the epicenter (and a little out of the way), but awesome
    Vietnamese food - Les Noo’dle
    Destination meals - Theodore Rex, One Fifth
    Cocktails w fantastic food - Better Luck Tomorrow (co owned by the TRex guy)
    Cocktails w homemade mexican food from a truck - 8 Row Flint
    Fantastic Italian(ish) - Coltivare (no res, gets packed, but great garden, great food)
    Fantastic Mexican - Hugo’s
    Fantastic comfort food with a huuuuuge beer selection - Hay Merchant (co owned by the One Fifth guy)

Houston landmarks:
    Ninfas on Navigation - Patient Zero for Tex Mex, the abuela of them all

Last, @caliking seems to know the latest for the hundreds of Asian places that pop up in SW Houston.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Firstly, know that you can pick any place off of @20stone 's list and not go wrong. I've never had a less than great meal when he's been in charge of picking the eats. 

We don't usually seek bbq or seafood when we go out, since we usually do those at home. I have been to Corkscrew in Spring and The Truth in Brenham, and both were awesome. I'd probably pick The Truth over Corkscrew.

Re: Asian food in Houston, you would not think that Houston has as much as it does. There are some great Schezwan (Mala Schezwan, Pepper Twins) and Malaysian places (Mamak, Banana Leaf). Peking Cuisine has great grub, especially if you dig Peking Duck.

9889 Bellaire Blvd is Ground Zero in Chinatown. Huge strip mall kind of place, chock full of all kinds of wonderful joints.  We like some of the smaller places for a la carte Dim Sum, but if you want the experience, then go to Ocean Palace,  which is a huge hall filled with tables and the carts running around.  

For Thai, Bangkok Gourmet is one of our favorites. Food is more aggressively spiced at Asia Market Thai Lao, which is also a no-frills joint with Lao ladies cooking in the back.

Lastly, you would not think of Pearland as a destination for Filipino food, but there are TWO good, no-frills places here!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I'd have thought someone would say Whataburger by now.  Just like the west coast folks are nuts for in-and-out burger, Texas has Whataburger. 

Honey butter chicken biscuit.  Breakfast.

I'm not a fan, but I'm outnumbered.   
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • 20stone
    I'd have thought someone would say Whataburger by now.  Just like the west coast folks are nuts for in-and-out burger, Texas has Whataburger. 
    While it is a regional staple, there are better burgers (including the Cease and Desist burger at Hay Merchant).  Bernies Burger Bus is another food truck turns brick and mortar:
    https://houston.eater.com/maps/houston-best-burger-restaurants

That being said, it is one of the fast food options in Houston where you can get jalapenos on your burger (as you can at Sonic), and Sonic has tater tots.

However, there are waaaaay too many cheap and convenient food options in Houston to eat Whataburger, even when limiting yourself to burgers.

Last, an addendum - I took a look at this:
    https://houston.eater.com/2018/8/29/17793804/houston-best-new-forthcoming-restaurants-fall-2018

BBQ - Truth BBQ is no joke, and are opening in Houston, perhaps in time for your visit

Misc - The Agricole Hospitality EaDo project are the guys that own Coltivare and 8 Row Flint on my list.  It'll probably be very good

Steak - Georgia James is opening in the old Underbelly spot.  Chef/owner Chris Shepherd is the guy behind One Fifth and Hay Merchant on my list

You may need to stay in town longer.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    One last addendum.

I just pinged one of the Blood Brothers, and their B&M should be open by the end of October, so you should definitely hit that. (https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/bbq/article/Blood-Bros-BBQ-to-open-brick-and-mortar-barbecue-11250591.php)

These are the guys that got me my commercial beef hookup, and were the BBQ sellers in my Christmas Eve shady parking lot BBQ hookup (An aluminum tray for a wad of cash at 11 PM on Christmas Eve in the Hay Merchant parking lot).
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I'd have thought someone would say Whataburger by now.  Just like the west coast folks are nuts for in-and-out burger, Texas has Whataburger. 

Honey butter chicken biscuit.  Breakfast.

I'm not a fan, but I'm outnumbered.   
    My teen daughter who wont anything non Paleo, Keto, Gluten Free whatever will take those down.  For me first bite is hmmm, after that its too much.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Houston’s in Houston!  

https://www.houstons.com/locations/houston-kirby/

Sorry, couldn’t resist.. I’ll go ahead and see myself out now.  
  • Photo Egg
    20stone said:
    One last addendum.

I just pinged one of the Blood Brothers, and their B&M should be open by the end of October, so you should definitely hit that. (https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/bbq/article/Blood-Bros-BBQ-to-open-brick-and-mortar-barbecue-11250591.php)

These are the guys that got me my commercial beef hookup, and were the BBQ sellers in my Christmas Eve shady parking lot BBQ hookup (An aluminum tray for a wad of cash at 11 PM on Christmas Eve in the Hay Merchant parking lot).
    I believe, following the advice from one of your posts, tracked the Brothers down one Saturday afternoon at a Houston area bar. They had a giant beef rib as their specialty.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 20stone
    Photo Egg said:
    20stone said:
    One last addendum.

I believe, following the advice from one of your posts, tracked the Brothers down one Saturday afternoon at a Houston area bar. They had a giant beef rib as their specialty.
    Was it any good?

I personally find a beef rib of unmanageable size, and opt for brisket (unless I have someone to share with).  Their boudin and other odds and ends are also very good.  Their boudin is what I took to BCI a few years ago.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Photo Egg
    20stone said:
    Photo Egg said:
    20stone said:
    One last addendum.

Was it any good?

I personally find a beef rib of unmanageable size, and opt for brisket (unless I have someone to share with).  Their boudin and other odds and ends are also very good.  Their boudin is what I took to BCI a few years ago.
    I thought it was really good but there was beer involved.
    Their brisket was very good. Least fav was their pork ribs but still good.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • If you are looking for a really good steak joint, Steak 48 is it.  Pretty damn good.  Sides are family style.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • caliking
    20stone said:
    Was it any good?

You took boudin to NOLA.

How did they NOT arrest you??

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    Was it any good?

You took boudin to NOLA.

The best Boudin is in Scott, LA. 
  • 20stone
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    Was it any good?

You took boudin to NOLA.

I have taken boudin to NOLA (and it was awesome), sourdough starter to SF and pastrami to NYC.  I am shameless.

As an aside, two packs of beef ribs, 10 lbs of beef cheeks and 10 lbs of boudin looks a lot like a torso to TSA when stuffed in a Yeti soft sided back as carry on.  THAT is when I thought I'd be arrested.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    20stone said:
    While it is a regional staple, there are better burgers (including the Cease and Desist burger at Hay Merchant).  Bernies Burger Bus is another food truck turns brick and mortar:
    https://houston.eater.com/maps/houston-best-burger-restaurants

And speaking of Bernies Burger Bus, one wouldn't think that homemade ketchup would make that much of a difference. But it does.