Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchases that last a lifetime

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    you said duty
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nonsense.  This is super easy to look up.  The cars have less options to start with in Europe, keep that in mind. I just looked up the C300 price in Germany and it starts at 44k euros ($51K), US it starts at $40k.

Maybe buying a used car.  When we lived there, we bought local used cars but ordered new ones from the US.

God man give it a rest. Just because you don't think its true doesn't mean its not. Why would I come on here and lie about that? To impress you? I saw the freakin cost breakdown. Quit trying to prove your mental superiority all the time it gets old.
    Now now, be calm, think of fresh meadow bunnies hopping across a fuzzy comforter.....tap your brakes and take a deep breath.  Breathe, hold it, let it out slowly.

I don't ad hominem attack you, why do that to me?  We were talking about buying cars.
    People, there are all kinds.
    From my experiences in Germany, MB is for old people, Audi is young and hip much like here and the BMWs are the car guys. The 7 series BMW is the undisputed king of the Autobahn. Those guys are bat sh!t crazy. Porsche is still pretty niche. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited August 2018
    ...MB is for old people
    HEY...I resemble that remark!   =)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I am not one to subscribe to the current, stereo-type buy but I am still rolling German steel, all manual (like my BGE's) transmissions (and all second -hand) 29+ years with a 1970 911 Targa (305 K on the clock-engine fire death sentence) and still in the stable a 2001 second hand BMW- 540 Sport pack with 185K.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2018
    Q: How do you know if it will last a lifetime if you are not dead yet?
    I killed he mutha effer I got my leathman from.  Lasted his lifetime.  

Stabbed him with the fish scaler. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    From my experiences in Germany, MB is for old people, Audi is young and hip much like here and the BMWs are the car guys. The 7 series BMW is the undisputed king of the Autobahn. Those guys are bat sh!t crazy. Porsche is still pretty niche. 
    F1
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    TEXASBGE2018 said:
    Well the most recent example I can give you was from about 6 months ago or so when he showed me where he could buy an E300 with Premium 1 Interior package and panoramic sunroof which has an MSRP of around 65K and they told him the all in cost would be around $48K plus there was a charge of around $2,000 to ship it. Here in the states that car sells for around 62K if you can get a good deal. 
    Hmm.  I just passed over an E-400 Cabriolet for $52K.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I have a few cold steel knives. The 6” ti-lite, the recon 1 tanto, and the american lawman. 

The recon 1 is the most durable knife i have ever had. Ill pass it down to my son for sure. I carried it during my Iraq deployments. 

I am sure the other two are just as good, but the recon has a solid, familiar spot in my pocket

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Botch said:
    TEXASBGE2018 said:
    Well the most recent example I can give you was from about 6 months ago or so when he showed me where he could buy an E300 with Premium 1 Interior package and panoramic sunroof which has an MSRP of around 65K and they told him the all in cost would be around $48K plus there was a charge of around $2,000 to ship it. Here in the states that car sells for around 62K if you can get a good deal. 
    Hmm.  I just passed over an E-400 Cabriolet for $52K.  
    If you could have gotten a brand new e400 cabriolet for $52k you should have bought it immediately. That’s a $75k car. There’s not one within 100 miles of dallas that’s less than $72k. There’s not even any c series cabriolets for under $58k 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    IMO- Carrying on about car buys anywhere really feeds the WDIB culture and may be entertaining but I would suggest is best left elsewhere. 
    BTW- WDIB- "Who's D!ck is Bigger.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Q: How do you know if it will last a lifetime if you are not dead yet?
    I killed he mutha effer I got my leathman from.  Lasted his lifetime.  

Stabbed him with the fish scaler. 
    Dude, that's an admission in a public forum...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Not really a purchase but I still have my grandfathers folding shovel from World War II. It lasted his lifetime and will last mine as well hopefully.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not really a purchase but I still have my grandfathers folding shovel from World War II. It lasted his lifetime and will last mine as well hopefully.
    Can't lay my hands on it right now to take a picture, but I think my Boy Scout shovel I had in the early 1950's was made in that very design. Fold it for portability, turn it 90 degrees for chopping and trenching, or leaving it straight for some chopping.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    My fathers watch is still running strong... Rolex my mom bought him for Christmas in 1967. Scoot will get the watch, his Browning O/U with  Belgium barrels that he bought before he got married. My Benchmade knives, and various LeCreuset pieces I’ve picked up along the way... 

I’ve always had the philosophy of buying the best for the task that you can afford, unless it’s a truely disposable situation. 
  • nolaegghead
    I try to buy the best smart phone available and lo and behold, the damn things only last about 2, maybe three years.  DAMN YOU, MOORE'S LAW!!
    I try to buy the best smart phone available and lo and behold, the damn things only last about 2, maybe three years.  DAMN YOU, MOORE'S LAW!!
    Moore's Law is approaching an end. Silicon density can only go so far.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Praise science!
    RRP said:
    Can't lay my hands on it right now to take a picture, but I think my Boy Scout shovel I had in the early 1950's was made in that very design. Fold it for portability, turn it 90 degrees for chopping and trenching, or leaving it straight for some chopping.
    I've still got my Boy Scout nesting aluminum cookware kit (with plastic mug and the pouch!) from the mid 1960's.

However, can things that have just been sitting on a shelf or a box in an attic for the past 50 years really be considered "buy it for life" tho? I guess that technically the answer is yes but...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DMW
    Praise science!
    Pesky physics...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    Praise science!
    Pesky physics...
    Physics is not pesky at all @nolaegghead!  It's one of the most liberating things I've ever herd of, even here in Kentucky.  Please tell us more!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    @bgebrent My number one not forum line, "If you understand physics, you can understand the world."  I start with high-school students and their first titled exposure to "physics", never mind "how the world works!"  That's bonus.  FWIW-
  • DMW
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Praise science!
    Pesky physics...
    Physics is not pesky at all @nolaegghead!  It's one of the most liberating things I've ever herd of, even here in Kentucky.  Please tell us more!
    Umm, that comment was from me, not @nolaegghead. Physics is pesky, as if it were not, silicon could continue to be used as a substrate to manufacture ICs with  sub-nanometer traces. However physics is pesky and governed by laws.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bgebrent
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Praise science!
    Pesky physics...
    Umm, that comment was from me, not @nolaegghead. Physics is pesky, as if it were not, silicon could continue to be used as a substrate to manufacture ICs with  sub-nanometer traces. However physics is pesky and governed by laws.

Dwayne, I would never want you to feel unloved.  Please forgive my lack of recognition of who cooks on a XXL with a beautiful cornfield background and the only fellow egger who admitted to me he voted for Trump.  I hope you're ok with that !
  • DMW
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Praise science!
    Pesky physics...

Dwayne, I would never want you to feel unloved.  Please forgive my lack of recognition of who cooks on a XXL with a beautiful cornfield background and the only fellow egger who admitted to me he voted for Trump.  I hope you're ok with that !
    Whoa there, I did not do that. However, if you are free Saturday, I'm throwing a party and would be blessed if you graced us with your presence.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    well....I know for a fact he didn't vote for Hillary...
    Let's not discuss the vote I threw away. I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that tRump didn't have a chance.

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Trump-Touches-Dies-Republican/dp/1982103124

https://www.amazon.com/How-Right-Lost-Its-Mind/dp/1250147174

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631495674/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1501175513/

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bgebrent
    And therefore you you Voted for Dole?
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Thanks @nolaegghead on your engineer friends wagon.  

Pm me details.   I have a service tech buddy with two wagons he's looking to sell so I might have more than I can handle!   May the best wagon win!

Fyi vacuum issues are common on those cars because they have so many plastic lines that cram with age and vacuum controls brake booster, door locks, engine fuel shutoff, and so many other things its crazy.   When it works, vac system is flawless.