Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portfolios - What are you investing in?

kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,410
Curious. . . 

What are most of you investing in (if i may be nosy)?

Any day traders out there?  Anybody heavily invested in cryptocurrency?  Any crowdfunding investors?  House flippers?  Landlords?  Any good passive income earners out there?

I have 401k, Roth, 529, but looking for other avenues of income.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    kl8ton said:
    Curious. . . 

What are most of you investing in (if i may be nosy)?

Any day traders out there?  Anybody heavily invested in cryptocurrency?  Any crowdfunding investors?  House flippers?  Landlords?  Any good passive income earners out there?

I have 401k, Roth, 529, but looking for other avenues of income.

Outside of my company 401k which is just a simple aggressive mix given my age. I buy Bluechip Stocks with Dividends inside an IRA. Sure its the safe route, but I don't have to worry about losing 40% either. In the last 5 years given the market conditions I think I'm averaging 10-20% growth annually.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    # 2 investment is my business , started on about 2500 25 years ago put 3 kids through college and allows me a lot of freedom have various stocks IRA some mutual funds...#3 best investment was buying 50K in Google when it was around 250 up,about 1000 per share

#1 best investment was learning to just be happy no matter what,  Care about people the way you want to be cared about....if it's money you seek, you shall never have enough ( it is a nice treat though )

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i flip automobiles but so far its costing me more =)  buy a beach or lake house, enjoy it until you retire, or buy two ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    They say the way to get wealthy is Real Estate. It's obviously super risky but can also pay off handsomely. Especially in todays over valued housing markets

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2018
    401k is all over the place and managed by an advisor. Roth IRAs are all in FFNOX which is an index fund. Lot's of money dumped into our stock purchase program at work for the kickbacks in my personal accounts.  Thinking of buying a lake-front property with a portion of the IRA funds as either an investment or to secure a potential spot to build a retirement and/or 2nd home. 

Considering investing in Trump properties and Russian assets. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Under the mattress
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    i flip automobiles but so far its costing me more =)  buy a beach or lake house, enjoy it until you retire, or buy two ;)

It's that two weeks of negotiating that's dragging your profit down.  I think you nailed the flipping part though.

Phoenix 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Pot farms
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Besides retirement, college and employee stock purchase investments I also put money into an index ETF and some dividend paying stocks.  

If you have any high interest debt (credit card type debt) then you need to weigh what you pay into that versus what an investment can net you.  Real estate is always an avenue but varies widely on location and other factors.  

Check out a forum like Mr. Money Mustache and you’ll see all kinds of passive income ideas but beware of the articles you see online about dudes retiring at 30 years old.  Those people almost all run successful blogs and websites so it’s really not like they don’t work and are a minority of people with success in that arena.

You could always knit BGE covers and sell them on Etsy.  =)
  • SonVolt
    edited August 2018
    FIRE! Yeah those guys are nuts and it doesn't really work if you're supporting a family or haven't worked a decade+ as an HCE. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018

I actually was in a Youtube wormhole the other night and saw a video of a guy that does this. He does it for a living but also to see what kinda cars he can buy next. He's in his mid 20s and started with like a used 1990's Civic that his parents gave him. He fixed it up and sold it, then took the money and bought another and worked his way up. He was going over the cars he's owned and its insane. His last one he just sold was a Mid 2000s Lambo. He sold it and bought a new Rubicon. I think hes keeping the Rubicon but is going to buy another supercar. Probably not the best way to make money though =)

• TEXASBGE2018

I actually was in a Youtube wormhole the other night and saw a video of a guy that does this. He does it for a living but also to see what kinda cars he can buy next. He's in his mid 20s and started with like a used 1990's Civic that his parents gave him. He fixed it up and sold it, then took the money and bought another and worked his way up. He was going over the cars he's owned and its insane. His last one he just sold was a Mid 2000s Lambo. He sold it and bought a new Rubicon. I think hes keeping the Rubicon but is going to buy another supercar. Probably not the best way to make money though =)

Oh and he pays cash for all of them =)

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Mine is all in the business. I use the capital to trade, it allows me to buy and sell equipment and stand the cash up front, so there's a bigger margin / no finance or bank costs. When there's enough to retire on, I'm going to have to work out how to get the money out efficiently and then put my feet up.
  • SonVolt
    Since you have your own business can't you just launder it? Bill it to "services" etc.. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    SonVolt said:
    Since you have your own business can't you just launder it? Bill it to "services" etc.. 
    I can bill it myself, but that's then personally taxable, it's more efficient to simply take a dividend, but not really efficient enough. How to leave the business running but get the money out and retire isn't easy without selling up.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Mutual funds, stocks, bonds, etc.....got a broker for that.  But then a little gold, silver, etc trading is always fun.  Silver is really cheap right now.  If I wouldn't have been out of town two weeks ago, I would have picked up some Palladium when it drop below $850--it's already back up above $950 now.

But my favorite investment is old, rare, and other collectible firearms.  I've never lost a dime on one.  They don't necessarily appreciate like the stock market, but they also don't lose value during tough times.  As long as you're not out buying the coolest new gun during the panic buy, they never go down in value.  Just make damn sure you have the biggest and best fire safe you can, and special insurance to go with it.  Most homeowners policies have a $3000-5000 total cap on guns, or a $1500-2500 per gun.  That's doesn't cover hardly anything in the collectible firearm world.  Safes: don't believe the labels on fire ratings and such.....most of them are complete lies.  AMSEC or some other UL rated one.  Finally get it all in a gun trust, and make sure the trust is named on the gun insurance policy and your homeowners.
  • You really cant mess up right now!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I launder Russian Oligarch money through my extensive network of real estate.   I also rent rooms and convention services to foreign countries at exorbitant rates.
    I recommend Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Also dabble in black market pork bellies and maple syrup...
    Waiting for stocks to go on sale right now, long game for me. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    You really cant mess up right now!
    It’s funny because folks felt the same way around 2006.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Hookers and blow, mostly.  
    @JohnInCarolina - My favorite, almost up there with "Bless your Heart". 
    I use that line when conversing about high-end purchases, including a response to the direct question, "How could you afford that?"  Immediately lightens the conversation and then it is easy to deflect the reply.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2018
    I have a 50% share in a male brothel where I earn more through sweat equity. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I have a 50% share in a male brothel where I earn more through sweat equity. 

That's a great garage business.

Phoenix 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    OJ memorabilia and huge collection of unopened Wacky Packs from the ‘70s