Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portfolios - What are you investing in?

Options
2»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    My retirement plan is all mutual funds as required.  We also have a brokerage account with mostly individual stocks.  So we recently bought two beach condos.  We did this for three reasons:

1) We'd ultimately like to retire there.
    2) The timing was right as we just finished paying off two houses - and the tenants in our rental house were moving out.  
    3) We saw it as a way to diversify our portfolio.

As far as the math on the investment, it isn't great, but it isn't bad.  But I've come to realize that to some extent psychology trumps math where investments are concerned.

We made a down payment and we're paying a mortgage.  We rent them out and the rent covers about 80% of the mortgage - which is about 60% of all costs when homeowners, electricity, internet, etc are considered.  

When you do the math, we'd probably be better off putting the money into the market.  But 1) we already have a high percentage in the market and 2) (this is the key) we wouldn't actually put the money in.  Like most people, we are much more likely to pay a mortgage or a homeowners bill - than we are to make sure we invest in the market each month.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    The Zimbabwean Dollar!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Ammo and Rockwood

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I got an email from a Nigerian prince with what seemed like a really sweet investment deal, not sure when the payment will be deposited.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    The most high-profile off-shore inquiry I have ever received.  Read on...I feel I share some responsibility for Rex Tillerson (former Secretary of State) getting fired on March 13th as he reached out to me with some incredible deal on March 12th and I failed to respond quickly enough.  The Trump hammer wiped out my direct contact to all these funds and I have not been able to sleep since. 
    No worries, I have not heard from Rex either  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I buy eggs.  Green ones are my favorite.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ham.  I am Sam.
    Options
    Nunya
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Pulled 100% from the market in the 90's and started buying (new only) duplex for cash as a retirement vehicle. Over the years from then till 5 years ago put together 14 doors (houses and duplexes). Zero market even today. Just wish i had started earlier as after about 8 or 9 doors paid for they start expanding themselves. 
    There is zero retirement in the car business, this has worked for myself and Linda. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am not saying investment in the market is not good. I put my daughter thru college and a wedding from the market in long years past. But after the first big market drop when i was invested the idea of a CEO and Board taking a company down then going back to new houses in Aspen and Miami (over & over) did not set well with my drop in savings. Rent houses managed by myself and wife just seemed a better way for us. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You guys are all fools. I just did an early withdrawal on my 401k, took all of it and cashed out. Bought a bunch of Venezuelan Bolivar. Once it comes back up I'm gonna be a Billionaire. Right????

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i flip automobiles but so far its costing me more =)  buy a beach or lake house, enjoy it until you retire, or buy two ;)

I actually was in a Youtube wormhole the other night and saw a video of a guy that does this. He does it for a living but also to see what kinda cars he can buy next. He's in his mid 20s and started with like a used 1990's Civic that his parents gave him. He fixed it up and sold it, then took the money and bought another and worked his way up. He was going over the cars he's owned and its insane. His last one he just sold was a Mid 2000s Lambo. He sold it and bought a new Rubicon. I think hes keeping the Rubicon but is going to buy another supercar. Probably not the best way to make money though =)

Oh and he pays cash for all of them =)
    the insurance company pays for mine ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    You guys are all fools. I just did an early withdrawal on my 401k, took all of it and cashed out. Bought a bunch of Venezuelan Bolivar. Once it comes back up I'm gonna be a Billionaire. Right????
    You got some inside info nobody else has?
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Eoin said:
    You got some inside info nobody else has?

I can neither confirm nor deny any existence of inside information.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.