Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Options

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Bombdiggity @FanOfFanboys it gets better once you refrigerate it, how was the flavor ?
    I think solid. Going to test again soon. Definitely not spicy. Onion and garlic are there, in a good way. Little saltier than I expected
    Boom
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    You can get by with a lower salt% brine, or add none when you blend . you should taste no salt once it's fermented so if the brine tastes more like salt than vinegar let it go longer. Mine are Perfect at 3 weeks 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    You can get by with a lower salt% brine, or add none when you blend . you should taste no salt once it's fermented so if the brine tastes more like salt than vinegar let it go longer. Mine are Perfect at 3 weeks 
    yeah, I will let next time brine a little longer. 

For the darker batch I added vinegar and some of the brine. For the lighter batch I added the brine and xantham gum. Maybe I should have used more vinegar and less of the brine

Either way, was cool to do and hopefully next batch will be better for me
    Boom
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I'm in! Ordered some Fermilids and weights today.  Can't wait to try this out!  Thanks so much B)
  • lkapigian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    yeah, I will let next time brine a little longer. 

For the darker batch I added vinegar and some of the brine. For the lighter batch I added the brine and xantham gum. Maybe I should have used more vinegar and less of the brine

Either way, was cool to do and hopefully next batch will be better for me
    I only add 1/2 cup vinegar 2 tbs salt in a 64 oz blender I bring the brine level up to the pepper level. And about 2/3 full in that blender

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I think we have the same blender

so to recap so I know for next time: blender the peppers straight, then strain, and add vinegar/salt to roughly same amount of liquid as the pepper strain?
    Boom
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Add whole peppers to blender ( about 2/3) add brine from ferment to blender till about the top of the peppers , blend to a mash. Press that mash, the the brine from that press add to blender...that is when I add 2 tbs salt 1/2 of cider vinegar and Xgum 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited August 2018
    Options

Made some kraut with one head of regular, and one head of purple cabbage.  First taste of the first batch, using a nighttime brat for a delivery device.

I half expected a fail the first batch, but I gotta say, it was tasty.  The purple cabbage made it pretty colorful.

Phoenix 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    blasting said:

Made some kraut with one head of regular, and one head of purple cabbage.  First taste of the first batch, using a nighttime brat for a delivery device.

I half expected a fail the first batch, but I gotta say, it was tasty.  The purple cabbage made it pretty colorful.

Nice @blasting , cabbage is a rapid ferment !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Got a fair bit of Kahm yeast with the second run at this.Skimmed most of it off.  Garlic, few jalapeños, some peppers, red onion this time. 

We had some folks over last weekend, and it was funny trying to explain what was going on in the big jar. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    Got a fair bit of Kahm yeast with the second run at this.Skimmed most of it off.  Garlic, few jalapeños, some peppers, red onion this time. 

We had some folks over last weekend, and it was funny trying to explain what was going on in the big jar. 
    How was it @caliking , I had more yeast in the warmer weather vs winter but still great...looks like a winner to,me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    caliking said:

Probably more likely to happen with the large head size you have in the jar I'm thinking? Much greater chance of having oxygen in there, but like you say harmless anyway
  • caliking
    Options
    poster said:
    caliking said:

Probably more likely to happen with the large head size you have in the jar I'm thinking? Much greater chance of having oxygen in there, but like you say harmless anyway
    That’s what I assumed. My first run was in a quart sized mason jar, filled almost to the rim, and I barely had anything grow on the surface.  I didn’t notice any off flavors, so it seems that skimming the stuff off was adequate. 

@lkapigian - I’m definitely digging this! I need to try more of the starter projects in this thread, and can’t wait to get deeper into the Sandor Katz book. Already have a couple of things bookmarked.  

Next project will probably be dill pickles. My crib may be on the warm side though - 80+ during the day. I’ll give it a shot and see. 

Is the pickling salt necessary, or can I sub noniodized table salt ?

• lkapigian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @caliking , that's probably your issue , 80 is getting a bit warm....stick your ferment in an ice chest ( no ice )in the coolest part of your home . Glad you are liking it, a ferment crock is a great purchase 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Class last night was great - we came home with ACV, Kraut, Kim Chi, and Kombucha that we made. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Class last night was great - we came home with ACV, Kraut, Kim Chi, and Kombucha that we made. 
    That is awesome they have classes! It's Alive with bon appetit's Brad Leone is where I get a lot of my "Live Food Help" from
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    poster said:
    caliking said:

That’s what I assumed. My first run was in a quart sized mason jar, filled almost to the rim, and I barely had anything grow on the surface.  I didn’t notice any off flavors, so it seems that skimming the stuff off was adequate. 

@lkapigian - I’m definitely digging this! I need to try more of the starter projects in this thread, and can’t wait to get deeper into the Sandor Katz book. Already have a couple of things bookmarked.  

Next project will probably be dill pickles. My crib may be on the warm side though - 80+ during the day. I’ll give it a shot and see. 

Is the pickling salt necessary, or can I sub noniodized table salt ?
    @caliking any non iodized salt will work 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I don't know if I mentioned , but toss in some bay leaves , it will help things stay crunchy ....not an issue if you are blending it, but for stuff you are going to eat 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I don't know if I mentioned , but toss in some bay leaves , it will help things stay crunchy ....not an issue if you are blending it, but for stuff you are going to eat 
    1st batch had bay leaves, and onions stayed crunchy. This second batch didn’t have bay leaves and the onions were notably softer. So definitely adding bay leaves next time. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Aaannddd, now I have a new project.  You people are killing me.  
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Here is what we made last night. L to R is the kimchi, kraut, kombucha, and ACV. Have to press the kimchi and kraut into the brine at least once per to prevent bad bugs from growing. Looking forward to trying these when they are ready. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have to ask @CTMike , what is the ACV......Edit- Duh Apple Cider ...Will give that a try---that will be great Spritz on Ribs....BTCHN idea!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Here we go okra with habenero, garlic onion. Cucs with same plus dill. 

• lkapigian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Here we go okra with habenero, garlic onion. Cucs with same plus dill. 

Awesome @theyolksonyou , love me some okra !! I did some cucumber a few weeks ago, it was one fast ferment , is check the taste in 7 days 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    Set up some half sour-sweet-hot pickles.  Cukes, japs, garlic, dried cayenne, coriander, bay leaves. 3.5% brine, about 1.3% sugar to start with. Will see how it tastes in a week. 

• caliking
    Options
    And on a somewhat different note, I’ve been dreaming of appams for years. Kind of like a fermented rice batter crepe. A South Indian and Sri Lankan thing (called hoppers in Sri Lanka). 

Soaked 500g of Ponni rice (available at Indian/Pakistani stores) overnight. Ground it up with coconut water in a Vitamix. Added 50g of sourdough starter and letting it go until it doubles in volume. Will add salt and coconut milk before frying them up tomorrow. 

• lkapigian
    Options
    Dam* @caliking ....Took the ball and ran with it!!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

Guess I’m all in. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Awesome @theyolksonyou , little of that goes a long long way 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Dam* @caliking ....Took the ball and ran with it!!!
    The genie is out of the bottle!!

some part of me has always wanted to get deeper into the fermentation bidness. Brewed beer for some time many years ago, and then jumped in to the whole sourdough thing about 2 yrs back. This seems like the natural progression of all of that :)