Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about cooking tongue

I have some beef and lamb tongues I'm planning to cook in the near future and it's something I've never done before.  I see that a number of people have indicated on here that they've done this, but it doesn't appear that they've posted the results of their cooking on the forum.  I'm thinking about marinating and cooking the tongues using sous vide first, and then smoking on the BGE.  Any input or insights are greatly appreciated.
It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I grew up on Beef and Lamb Tongue. Posted a cook here years back, I have not SV'd one as I just got mine, but that would be the way to go. You can cut the skin off before but that can be a chore for some. I would Salt Only SV 160 for probably 10 hours, the skin should peel right off, then smoke . 

Last one I did , I smoked for about 5 hours 250 ish, you can slice and deep fry or do whatever you like with....not for the squeemish 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I don't know where my posts are, but I do beef tongues a few times a year. Never done lamb's. Have done pig. Not as good as beef. (All of them used to be really cheap, but the last beef I saw was priced around a cheap steak.)

Beef tongue method depends on how the tongue was cut. Sometimes, it includes the "root" at the back. That may have small bits of bone, and some glands than should be cut out. The ones I've had were quite fatty there, w. lots of nice collagen to turn to gel.

You might want to brine it for 24 - 48 hours and rinse to remove the slightly organ meat flavor that is there.

The main problem is that the "skin," or whatever the covering of the tongue is, is as tough as shoe leather, and spiky besides. Early cooks didn't work well with it on.

Cutting it off is hard, even w. a razor. Solution, about 15 minutes in pressure cooker, w. the coating scores. Cuts off or peels off pretty easy then.

After that, cut into 3 portions for a full beef tongue, rub as desired, and lo-n-slow, turning a few times, and removing the tip early so it doesn't over cook, being so thin.

It is immensely rich, and has an unusual texture when still warm. Sort of pops like some SV ribs do. I typically chill it, and make thin slices as the original lunch meat.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    @lkapigian Thanks for the info.  On your last cook, did you remove the skin before or after you cooked it?  Also, did you boil it first?
    Arteflame grill grate

• lkapigian
    smokingal said:
    @lkapigian Thanks for the info.  On your last cook, did you remove the skin before or after you cooked it?  Also, did you boil it first?
    I cut it off but as @gdenby , that is tough...He pressure cooks his for a bit , but I think after a long SV it will come right off
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    gdenby said:
    I don't know where my posts are, but I do beef tongues a few times a year. Never done lamb's. Have done pig. Not as good as beef. (All of them used to be really cheap, but the last beef I saw was priced around a cheap steak.)

Beef tongue method depends on how the tongue was cut. Sometimes, it includes the "root" at the back. That may have small bits of bone, and some glands than should be cut out. The ones I've had were quite fatty there, w. lots of nice collagen to turn to gel.

You might want to brine it for 24 - 48 hours and rinse to remove the slightly organ meat flavor that is there.

The main problem is that the "skin," or whatever the covering of the tongue is, is as tough as shoe leather, and spiky besides. Early cooks didn't work well with it on.

Cutting it off is hard, even w. a razor. Solution, about 15 minutes in pressure cooker, w. the coating scores. Cuts off or peels off pretty easy then.

After that, cut into 3 portions for a full beef tongue, rub as desired, and lo-n-slow, turning a few times, and removing the tip early so it doesn't over cook, being so thin.

It is immensely rich, and has an unusual texture when still warm. Sort of pops like some SV ribs do. I typically chill it, and make thin slices as the original lunch meat.
    That will make a nice Sandwich!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smokingal
    edited August 2018
    @gdenby Thank you for the pics and info, especially about the root and the tip.  I've only ever eaten it warm.  The best thing I've done in the past few years was to give it a try, from a janky food truck no less.  Best tacos I've ever had.  I was hooked.  I'm looking forward to adding a bit of smoke and seeing what that does for the texture and flavor.
    Arteflame grill grate

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    smokingal said:
    @gdenby Thank you for the pics and info, especially about the root and the tip.  I've only ever eaten it warm.  The best thing I've done in the past few years was to give it a try, from a janky food truck no less.  Best tacos I've ever had.  I was hooked.  I'm looking forward to adding a bit of smoke and seeing what that does for the texture and flavor.
    Lots of previous posts talk about simple boiling, and I'm sure that is good too. From what I've read, the taco method slices it lengthwise into strips. The texture w/o the skin is not so different, but the smoke flavor is. Chilling it before slicing reduces the impact of that until the residue warms in the mouth. A small amount goes a long way.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    it's been awhile since i did tongue.  i posted it here:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1176310/tri-tip-and-tongue-offal-but-delicious

the flavor was just fantastic - tasted as good as a ribeye - but it was chewy.  i think 24 hours in a 135 degree sous vide bath would make a big difference.  i've always wanted to try that and now that you've reminded me i may go look for a tongue.

the problem is that any "odd" meat costs around $10/lb to procure.  by the time i trim the outside and the tip, and spend the time, i might as well buy filet!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Can you pastrami one of these, or would that be a waste?
  • lkapigian
    Legume said:
    Can you pastrami one of these, or would that be a waste?
    Yes You Can!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smokingal
    @blind99 Yeah, both the beef and lamb tongue costs me some bucks.  They have more flavor than most cuts of similarly priced meat, so getting some once in a while isn't so bad.
    Arteflame grill grate

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    smokingal said:
     both the beef and lamb tongue costs me some bucks.  
    Question if I may. How much are you having to pay for beef tongues? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• smokingal
    SGH said:
    smokingal said:
    I bought mine from online vendors.  The 2lb beef tongue was $21.  The lamb tongues were $16.50 each.
    Arteflame grill grate

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    smokingal said:
    SGH said:
    smokingal said:
    I bought mine from online vendors.  The 2lb beef tongue was $21.  The lamb tongues were $16.50 each.
    The reason I asked, in my area you can buy the whole beef head (tongue & eyes included) for 25 bucks if you buy it from a slaughter house. Don’t know if that’s a viable option for you or not. But thought I would suggest looking into it just the same. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    You got this licked.  B)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• smokingal
    SGH said:
    The reason I asked, in my area you can buy the whole beef head (tongue & eyes included) for 25 bucks if you buy it from a slaughter house. Don’t know if that’s a viable option for you or not. But thought I would suggest looking into it just the same. 
    There's a local butcher I need to check out, but they aren't known for having low prices.
    Arteflame grill grate

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited August 2018
    Paging @20stone

We had lengua in the mix some time ago. 20stone provided deets:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208910/idle-hands/p3

And prior to having any SV game (or decent food pics game) I did this:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157047/lengua-de-res

Either way, you will end up with some fine eats.

Moar tortillas!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is how I have done them, but prefer to boil forever and make tacos de lengua as mentioned.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=858697&catid=1

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    My recipe is pretty simple.  =)
    1)Take meat(tongue)you bought by mistake.
    2) open trash can lid
    3) throw away
    4) close trash can lid

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• smokingal
    @caliking @TEXASBGE2018 Thanks for the links.  I don't know why, but my search using the term 'tongue' the other day only yielded 19 results.

@TEXASBGE2018 :|
    Arteflame grill grate